Author Topic: Diorama Bits...  (Read 9701 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Diorama Bits...
« on: July 30, 2005, 01:30 AM »
The mention of Build-A-Rama came up in another thread and I thought I'd point out that they DO have some little bits for Sci-Fi dioramas (I think even the real-world stuff like oil drums and such can carry over to Sci-Fi too though).

Dunno if you guys have seen them though, so here's pics of the sci-fi stuff.  Kinda neat.  If you do buy this stuff, push the owner (Mark) to do more Sci-Fi things...  Give him ideas, but bare in mind he works in resins which are costlier in general to produce items, and he does this stuff himself so things can get expensive if you go "big".

http://www.build-a-rama.com/catalog_sci_fi.shtml
Cargo Crates & A Generator Thingie

I don't mean to do too much advertising for the guy as he's not a sponsor, but I do believe he's good for the hobby...  Mention where you came from, push the Sci-Fi stuff and that you'd dig seeing other items...  You just might get it (this stuff came about after I hastled him about simply DOING Sci-Fi stuff so he does listen some).

Mark is definitely a nice guy to deal with though, he does great work too...  Just look at the more expansive military lines.  He even does figure accessories too, so imagine what he could do for Star Wars figures even!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 01:32 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline don

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: Diorama Bits...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 02:40 AM »
If anyone is thinking about buying from Mark at build-a-rama and need just one more positive remark let it be mine. I have the sci-fi stuff and a bunch of his 1:18 scale military accessories. I love them and recommend the site to anyone interested in 1:18 scale dioramas. I hope you all buy the sci-fi stuff from him because it might get him to create a wider sci-fi selection!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 02:42 AM »
After that earlier thread Jesse, I was meaning to maybe open up a thread here too.  Guess we were kinda thinking along the same lines.

And thanks for the recommendation Don.  Always good to hear positive feedback on someone.

His site is awesome.  I really like all of the stuff they have available.  I would love to see some more sci-fi compatible Star Wars stuff be made.

That generator thing looks awesome... it looks to be a decent size too.  I'll probably  order that and maybe those box things too.

Another site that is spectacular is that of a member here, Owen D at www.owenscustoms.com.  He makes things by request and is not only great to deal with and a great guy, but his prices are very fair.  He doesn't mass produce his stuff; each item is unique.  Definitely an A+ resource for diorama needs.

:P

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2005, 11:23 AM »
That stuff is really impressive.  I don't really do many dioramas (aside from gluing 2 pieces of foamcoare together and quickly painting it  ;)), but that stuff looks great.  I just might have to place an order...
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 01:43 AM »
Wow!!!  I'm totally buying these!  They're terrific!

Exactly the kind of stuff I need for some dios I'm working on....

I would LOVE to see more sci-fi stuff!
Sith Lords Are Our Speciality

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2005, 04:21 AM »
I looked over the whole site, everything on there is impressive, I really like the barbed wire fence, I like to know how he does the wire it looks so reallistic. I may have to buy something from him, it is all so fantastic. I wonder if he makes his stuff from styrene or if it is kit-based. I know what he seels are all casts, but I'd like to see the original so I can try and duplicate them.

Those bricks and the the rubble look really nice too, I can only imagine how tedious those are.
"This is the way."

Offline Owen D

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Owens Customs
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2005, 12:04 PM »
I took a look too and I think a lot of the stuff may be available elsewhere.  I know I've seen the bricks, camo netting and chain link fences in the Verlinden catalog.  Definately at 1/35 scale, not sure about 1/18 scale though.  Owen D
Don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2005, 10:18 PM »
Owen, I always like the stuff you make... your Star Wars diorama props are excellent... I know you have your hesitations, and may not have the means, but if you were able to mass produce any of your props I would think that it would be a hit.

BTW, nice new avatar...  I always liked that custom astromech.

Offline Owen D

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Owens Customs
« Reply #8 on: August 1, 2005, 01:08 AM »
Owen, I always like the stuff you make... your Star Wars diorama props are excellent... I know you have your hesitations, and may not have the means, but if you were able to mass produce any of your props I would think that it would be a hit.

BTW, nice new avatar...  I always liked that custom astromech.

Yeah, I finally got an avatar to work here, lots a little squat though.

As to mass production of crates and barrels.  I've considered it but I'd like to take stock of what the toys have to offer us before building anything.  I know some crates came with the vintage Dagobah playset, some with the Dagobah XWing, one with the POTF2 scanning trooper and I think I'm missing something.  Some of those we (customizers) could probably pull casts off of.  If I were to build anything I think probably some of the small money crates that Han is using in ANH and probably some of the beer keg like barrels seen on the Millenium Falcon and (I think) the Death Star.   Maybe we should make a list.
Owen D
Don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline vader419

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 1, 2005, 09:02 AM »
i don't post often,
but i really love your work owen and you too chewie.
how about some interlocking floor panels from places like
the death star
bespin
tattooine streets
falcon
endor
etc...

they could be 4"x4" and be a couple of mixed styles per setting

thoughts?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 1, 2005, 10:59 AM »
Thanks Vader419, and welcome to the fun.

Your idea sounds like a good one... I'd love to see something like that too.  Maybe with some walls too!

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #11 on: August 4, 2005, 01:43 PM »
Y'know, if someone really wants ideas on a small item to mass produce and sell, the red stuffed cantina chairs would be great.  They could be sold as "Space Lounge Chairs."  One could also make the little round bar tables with the lights in the center.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #12 on: August 4, 2005, 02:25 PM »
I wish someone would make "space hookahs", it would make my Jabba's palace diorama alot easier!  ;)

And that's "hookah", not "hooker" Justin, get you mind out of the gutter!!!  :P
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 4, 2005, 02:45 PM »
My mind is always in the gutter.   :)

I still can't believe they haven't made those Tonnika brats yet.  They did release one as a micro figure, so that whole "rights thing" is a bunch of crap as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: August 4, 2005, 03:41 PM »
I heard at C3 they are coming out with one finally...
"This is the way."