Author Topic: Making SW figures out of GI Joes?  (Read 8709 times)

Offline Segnett

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Making SW figures out of GI Joes?
« on: July 30, 2005, 03:22 AM »
I've got a little custom in the works, however the only thing holding me back is I want to attach a GI Joe hip section to a star wars figure torso.  Has anyone pulled this off?  I want to keep as much mobility as possible.  And I am using the GI Joe legs too, so that silver hook thing in the middle will probably have to stay there unless someone has a plan.

I'd appreciate as much input as possible!
Thanks guys!!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone know? Star Wars/GI Joe Help!!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 10:59 AM »
Crap... this isn't easy!  I actually bought a GI Joe figure yesterday as a matter of fact that I am going to try and to something similar to.  I'll experiment some and post what happens here.

:P

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 11:16 AM »
I've never done it, but I think that it can be done without too much hassle.  I think that if you separated the hip of the G.I. Joe, place a lot of epoxy putty in the hip to hold the silver thing in place (to replace the O-Ring), and then, after it dried, glued the hip to the torso of a SW figure, that might do the trick. 
Again, I've never tried it before, but that is how I would go about doing it.
By the way,  welcome aboard, I look forward to seeing what you do with this custom!
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2005, 10:43 PM »
What about splitting the front and back torso sections? Then hollowing them out a little for the rubber band? I don't know if there is enough room for that though.

Or, imbed another hook in the bottom of the torso and use a dental (braces) rubberband.  I used to replace my broken GI Joe bands with those little braces bands, I think they worked pretty well.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 10:44 PM by dafoo »
who Learned you To spoke!

Offline rishakra

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Making SW figures out of GI Joes?
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 10:04 AM »
I've been to TRU looking for the Holo Emperor and saw these

Click here for a review: COBRA Crimson Shadow Guard

Seems like perfect custom material and you get 6 for $20!!

What do you guys think?

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone make SW figures out of GI Joes?
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2005, 10:09 AM »
Actually, I considered buying this last time I was at TRU for the same reason you listed above. Tons of accesories, and with some touch-ups or repaints, I could turn them into some fanfic starwars custom. Looks like we think alike.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline darth_ripley

• Jedi Initiate
  • i'm the monster's mother...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2005, 04:10 PM »
looks like there is some pretty good fodder there & decent price too...i may have to stop on by TRU later today  :)

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2005, 05:33 PM »
i use gijoe figures on more than half of my custom starwars figures. mostly heads, but every now and then arms or legs. gijoe parts are great for custom figures and the accesories are great for cutting up and making custom weapons....
=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2005, 01:15 AM »
Forget customizing--a lot of those 'Joe figures could be passed off as straight-up SW characters. A lot of their military figures (like the Shadow Guards) are adequately Star Warsy without any work, and even some of the Ninja sets could be Dark Jedi if you gave them lightsabers.

One of these days when I have some spare $$$ I'm going to buy up a bunch of 'Joe stuff and just add them directly to my SW setups.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2005, 03:56 AM »
My take on Joes for fodder is that the gear sometimes appeals to me more for customizing than the figures.  The odd head does roll out of the Joe line that is good...  Scarlet heads have been some of the only decent female fodder heads outside of SW to show in a while so there's often something there to like but in general that's all I prefer...

Joes have a look I can spot too easily a lot of the time.  Especially older joes.  A lot used the old Joes back in the vintage days before these newfangled Star Wars figures, and early customs pre-modern line would have a Clutch or Grunt head on them and it just looked too "familiar" to me I guess. 

The joints/articulation stick out like a turd in a punchbowl too for me so it's not something I like to see really.  Mimicing Hasbro but improving it is something I like with customs...  So GIJ's very unique and easily identified arms/legs and articulation tends to be a detractor to me, but that's just my personal tastes with customizing too.  I've seen everything from non-poseable figurines to Stikfas figures used in customizing so to each their own.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2005, 04:16 AM »
The joints/articulation stick out like a turd in a punchbowl too for me so it's not something I like to see really.  Mimicing Hasbro but improving it is something I like with customs...  So GIJ's very unique and easily identified arms/legs and articulation tends to be a detractor to me, but that's just my personal tastes with customizing too.  I've seen everything from non-poseable figurines to Stikfas figures used in customizing so to each their own.

Joes are Hasbro too. ;)

But I agree with you, the joints on the GIJs aren't pretty and they aren't the type of articulation I like see or use on customs. Mainly cause they don't fit in with the Hasbro SW line. I think some of the modern heads are ok, Female heads like Bombstrike and SW are nice beacuse you can make some female customs with something other than a Leia or Padme head. And I agree there is soething about the figures themselves, funny articulation aside, that just sticks out like a sore thumb.
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2005, 04:34 AM »
Yeah I should've specified mimicing the SW line rather than just blanketly saying Hasbro...  But you got the point. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline rishakra

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2005, 07:46 AM »
I guess I fired myself up because after I posted this I went out and bought a Crimson Shadow Guard pack.  I like it because it's army builder, 6 guys for $20 is good, and it should be easy to do a little customizing and make them look better. 

I don't like the articulation at all.  Wrists don't swivel, waist is...well it's just weird and moves around a lot, but the rest is pretty good.  Oh, I don't like the way the shoulders look.  I guess they look too "raw" like a doll or something.  HOWEVER, these guys are all black so some unpleasant features will not show up as well, they have cool helmets (which are removable) and well they look pretty cool overall.   

My 1st step is to paint over the "cobra" on their chest and touch them up here and there w/ black paint (the neck shows flesh where it touches the torso).   I'll post some pics when I'm done.

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2005, 08:05 AM »
Cool. It'd be nice to see some pics.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline Joe

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2005, 11:54 AM »
I made a bloody mercinary /killer/assiasian guy out of a crismon guard.Gijoe has some good guns too (my heavy wookie warrior liked it)
Cheers!

- Joe