Author Topic: Back Drops and Bases  (Read 4596 times)

Offline hemble

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ron's military models and custom figures
Back Drops and Bases
« on: November 1, 2005, 06:25 PM »
Hi Guys

As you all know I was a Military Modeller before I even got into the custom figure side of things and saying that I want to start doing my figure in categories.

Category 1- Figures on base/backdrops for better veiwing but still keep the articulation and be able to take them off the bases.

Category 2- Do Actual dioramas as I do with my military models so there like a show piece.

Now on saying this I was wondering is there any sites that have free downloads of backdrops or part sections of backdrops( ie death star corridor).

I know the Yoda I did came with a base and is that standard with all the newer figures and if not can you pick up loose ones from somewhere.

Thanks for the help.
Ron

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Back Drops and Bases
« Reply #1 on: November 1, 2005, 06:36 PM »
I actually didn't know that's what you did... no wonder you're so damn good at this!  How are schmucks like myself supposed to keep up with you!   :)

For backdrops... do you have a Hobby Lobby around you?  They sell very large matte boards for large pictures - these work well sometimes for a sky background.

Also, www.niubniubsuniverse.com has some stuff you can use, as does www.erikstormtrooper.com - I actually made and sent some backdrops for Erik's site years ago... around the year 2000 I think.  They kinda suck, but here's a few of them -

I just realized how bad those are... but I made them years ago on Microsoft Word and it was years ago.   :-\

:P

Offline Joe

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 1, 2005, 08:31 PM »
those arent that bad.Not up to par completly but defunatly not bad.
Cheers!

- Joe

Offline hemble

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ron's military models and custom figures
« Reply #3 on: November 1, 2005, 09:53 PM »
Hi Guys

Chewie-
I actually didn't know that's what you did... no wonder you're so damn good at this!  How are schmucks like myself supposed to keep up with you!

Been modelling for over 21yrs now and started custom figures for almost 3 yrs now, mate you should've seen the first custom I ever did  damn for 1yr old daughter could have done better ;D.

I have something like the hobby lobby in the local area I'll have to go and have a look.

And thanks for the links I'll have a look at them I think I visted the erikstormtrooper site a while back but never really took any notice except for the custom figure section. I was having a look at your pics and mate they are good especiallyy from 5yrs ago.

Ron

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 1, 2005, 10:22 PM »
Hey, Chewie, don't beat yourself up!

I really like those old backdrops you made.  Pretty impressive for Microsoft.

in fact, I got a fair amount of use out of them a couple years ago, especially the Tantive corridors.

Check out these images from my as-yet-incomplete photonovel from two years ago:

This, by the way, was supposed to be the interior of an AT-AT.
« Last Edit: November 1, 2005, 10:25 PM by Quazar »
Sith Lords Are Our Speciality

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 2, 2005, 12:34 PM »
Well, I remember making them and thinking they were so awesome.  Heh Heh... glad that you got some use out of them.

I saw someone on ebay a couple years ago that was selling those images printed onto cardboard. 

Offline Joe

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 2, 2005, 07:57 PM »
sad how people do things like that.I mean at least give the maker some credit.
Cheers!

- Joe

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 3, 2005, 12:01 AM »
Yeah, but I actually got a little bit of a kick out of it.  Oh well, no harm done.  I had made them for fellow collectors to use if they wanted to.