Author Topic: NFL Offseason 2006  (Read 21359 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: NFL OffSeason 2006
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2006, 04:42 AM »
Bear in mind Roethlisberger is 23, and completely fawned over in his world too...  He's a kid for all intents and purposes, and one who everyone he meets caters to him I'm sure, so I gotta imagine he has a certain level of irresponsibility in him.  ;D

Seriously though, I think he did have some kind of feeling of invincibility...  Because he actually pretty much said that in a statement he released last night.  He said he was sorry to the Steelers, to his coaches, the Rooneys, the city of Pittsburgh, and to the Steeler fans, and admitted in his release that he has an obligation to protect himself in the off-season...

He also said if he's riding a bike again in the future, he will be wearing a helmet...  That he thought he would never be in a situation like this and that he's a safe rider... 

I really feel like the press statement he released was a nice gesture and showed humility on his part.  He could've just kept quiet but while still in the hospital he decided to own up to it...

The other news has also pretty much confirmed he is physically ok for lack of a better term.  He's got no serious injury, and he'll likely be fine for opening day and hopefully he'll make it for half of training camp or so like predicted.  He had Titanium plates screwed to his jaws and he'll have a semi-solid food diet while he heels so he's less likely to lose weight and things...  He's supposed to be out of the hospital actually in 3 to 5 days (this was a day or so ago too), so he seems to be fine...

And Pittsburgh can change it's loaded diaper now.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2006, 10:13 AM »
No serious injury?  Lemme see, a QB with a concussion and a broken jaw.  He was in surgery for something?  That's not serious?  Bwahahahahaha.  Whatta maroon.  Should be interesting when someone on the opposing D tries to take his head off.  I wonder in the next concussion will come a little more easily?

That he thought he would never be in a situation like this and that he's a safe rider... 

I drive about 60-70 thousand kilometers a year.  I'm a safe driver.  My survival on the road depends on how other people drive more than how I drive to an extent.  I stay in my lane, pass safely and don't drive in a hurry.  Yet at least once a year on the two lane highway I drive, I somehow end up three cars (actually it's usually me and an ******* in another car passing a semi) across a two lane highway, each of us going 60+ mph.  I didn't do anything wrong, but if I'm not looking and paying close attention to other people's stupidity I'm dead.

Once he grows up and gets paranoid about other drivers, then he'll be a safe rider.   ::)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2006, 10:33 AM »
What a moron.  This guy has the world at his fingertips.  He's young, a first round pick and now a Super Bowl Champion.  And part of his job is that he wears a helmet to work while people run around hitting each other.  It didn't occurr to him that it might be a good idea to wear a helmet while riding a bike that's easily capable of doing 140 MPH?  Idiot.

I've got a motorcycle license.  I've been through the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's rider course.  And I know about helmet laws and that some states don't have them.  In fact I was mortified at some of the riders I saw the other day in Connecticutt.  They were riding up to the Bike Week in Laconia, NH and a lot of them weren't wearing helmets.  Add in the fact that it had been raining and it's a situation that most responsible riders won't put themselves in.  For ANYONE to get on the road on a motorcycle without a helmet is an act of stupidity.  I nearly lost a friend who wears an open face helmet.  He got hit in the face with a bee while he was doing highway speeds and could have very easily gone down.  I've seen the damage that a rock the size of a golf ball can do to a car at 60 MPH.  Now imagine something like that bouncing off the road from a truck's tire and it's headed right for your face.  Do you want a helmet or not?  If not then you're just an idiot.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 10:44 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2006, 10:44 AM »
It didn't occurr to him that it might be a good idea to wear a helmet while riding a bike that's easily capable of doing 140 MPH?

Try 180+ MPH.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2006, 10:45 AM »
Even better.  I knew the Hayabusa was fast, but that's just ridiculous.  You can only ride that fast on a closed track.  And guess what?  The guys that ride on tracks not only wear full face helmets, but body armor as well.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 11:04 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2006, 12:04 PM »
I nearly lost a friend who wears an open face helmet.  He got hit in the face with a bee while he was doing highway speeds and could have very easily gone down. 

Been there, done that.  Fortunately the helmet I was wearing was a full face jobbie.  I took a bumble bee right in the visor, which cracked and my head snapped right back.  I was able to keep the bike in control but I had a pretty wicked headache from a frickin' bee!  Imagine a rock. Or a lit cigarette butt.  Or a half full cup that some knob chucks out their window while littering. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2006, 04:40 PM »
You're preaching to the choir, Brent.  The fact that you could die from a freak collision with an insect at highway speed should be warning enough to people that full face helmets should be mandatory for all riders.

Feedback

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2006, 11:48 AM »
I just don't think there is a bigger ******* in all of sports:

Owens at it again
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2006, 12:07 PM »
Yep.  There was a point where part of me wanted the Bucs to sign him because of the numbers he puts up - but watching the media circus here in Dallas, I'm 100% thankful that he's not on my favorite team, and I'm willing to bet that almost anyone who's favorite team isn't the cowboys agrees.

The guy just isn't worth it.  I'd rather have 5 Keyshawns on my team than one T.O.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2006, 04:39 PM »
Jerry Jones still had one last chance to snatch that jersey back and come to his senses right about here:

Now here's the question, if he leaves the Cowboys in flames like he did the Eagles, is he forced into retirement, or will yet another team still give him a chance?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2006, 05:12 PM »
Someone will give him a chance, but he won't get the kind of contract that he wants (i.e. it will have a milliion behavioral and incentive clauses and an invisible signing bonus).  So, if he does retire, it will be because he doesn't want to take a lower value contract.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 1, 2006, 05:28 PM »
Sure, some fellow collectors had you up until 1:30 AM Wednesday night for the fantasy draft, even though you were sick and worked all day.

But you don't need a home thermometer to know that you're still sick.  It's not the malaise.  It's not the sniffles or coughing you're still experiencing...

If you are lying on your couch on a Friday night watching preseason Jets football, you are still sick.

Hands down the best available indicator I can come up with.