Author Topic: NHL 2005-06  (Read 86962 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: NHL 2005-2006 Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 4, 2005, 02:45 PM »
I think the reality is that your team is one of those clubs this CBA was created for: a team that has no intention of spending.

Welcome to the Club, Jamie!   :D

I think the Wild are in the same boat, as the only money they have spent is re-signing their own (cheap) players and draft picks.  Sure, there were a lot of rumors about Modano coming "home" to Minnesota, but I think that was just sports radio "filler".

Sure will be an interesting year...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 4, 2005, 03:31 PM »
It's frustrating because the talk at the beginning of the week made it sound like they were serious about acquiring some upper level talent, and now it looks like they have no intention of following through with that.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #32 on: August 4, 2005, 03:55 PM »
I was so sad to see Forsberg and Foote go. :'( :'( They were 2 of the 3 remaing original players and my favorites too. On the bright side they didn't go to Detroit or Vancouver, I despise both of them. The Avs really screwed up by not pursuing these guys farther. >:(
"This is the way."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 4, 2005, 08:45 PM »
It's frustrating because the talk at the beginning of the week made it sound like they were serious about acquiring some upper level talent, and now it looks like they have no intention of following through with that.

You have a team.  Slap a cork in it cuz it could be worse >:(
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #34 on: August 5, 2005, 01:38 PM »
Jay Feaster still has to address restricted free agents Vinny Lecavalier and Martin St. Louis and try to convince unrestricted free-agent goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin to return to the Lightning.

Well, there's one loss for the Defending Champs...

Khabibulin signs four-year deal with Blackhawks
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JedioftheNorth

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 5, 2005, 02:10 PM »
Flames re-signed Iginla and that's all that matters also like the pick up of Amonte some added fire power.  Gonna have to watch the Penquins this year gotta cheer for the local hero Crosby.  Since I did grow up in cole harbour NS, canada aswell gotta cheer for him.  Plus it sounds like everyone is going there so they may be a good team too watch aswell.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 5, 2005, 03:34 PM »
Well, there's one loss for the Defending Champs...

Khabibulin signs four-year deal with Blackhawks

There goes the season. 

>:(

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 8, 2005, 11:06 PM »
NHL reinstates Todd Bertuzzi, decision leaves Steve Moore disappointed

**** Steve Moore.  Did Bertuzzi do a stupid thing?  Of course.  Does he deserve to be punished?  Of couse.  Do I feel bad that Moore was injured?  Of course.

But did Steve Moore do a stupid thing too?  Damn right.  Steve could have ended Marcus Naslund's career with his knee-to-knee shot.  For him to portray himself as an innocent victim makes me sick.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 8, 2005, 11:21 PM »
It was judged a clean hit by the league.  A stupid hit, but clean.  Far, far from what that ******* Bertuzzi did.  Sorry, but I'm disagreeing, Bertuzzi should never see the ice again.  Had he been anything but a professional athlete he'd be in prison.  Period.  Don't believe it?  Take a look at any incident in rec hockey in Canada.  Lots of guys that have criminal records wandering around for stick and fist incidents.  Bertuzzi's a chicken**** for suckerpunching him.  One of the big goons in the league?  **** that, take him face on.  Oh wait, Moore already fought someone else in the same game, face on.  Guess that's not good enough is it?   Nope, he should have fought every ******* Canuck on the ice, taken as many stitches and broken bones and lost teeth as he deserved.  Every ******* player, even the goalie should have had a shot at him.   ::)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 8, 2005, 11:39 PM »
Bertuzzi should never see the ice again.

Ditto!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 9, 2005, 12:08 AM »
The NHL has decided the 17 months Todd Bertuzzi was prevented from playing hockey is enough punishment

Uh, ****wad Bettman?  He only missed 13 regular games and 7 playoff games, that's barely a month of hockey ::)

Danson said Bertuzzi should be suspended for 82 games, the same penalty Marty McSorley received for clubbing Donald Brashear on the head with his stick.

Hmm, heat of the moment versus visibly stalking a player on the ice.  Yeah, I agree, chasing a guy around the ice and then jumping him from behind is far less intense.

Bettman said he realizes that because of the labour dispute, some people may think a 17-month suspension is "inadequate, and not proportionate to suspensions imposed on other players."

"I am comfortable and confident that Mr. Bertuzzi suffered an even more significant impact financially and emotionally during the full term of his suspension," Bettman said.
Once again, Bettman hasn't a ******* clue.  Mr. Bertuzzi suffered a financial impact greater than the end of a career (albeit mediocre, but I bet Moore was making more a year than the $500K Bertuzzi lost in salary.  And emotionally?  **** him, we're all responsible for our actions, trivial of thuggery. 

In December Bertuzzi pleaded guilty to assault causing bodily harm and received a conditional discharge. He was sentenced to a year's probation and 80 hours of community service.
Joke sentence.  Any of us would have seen prison time.  80 hours of community service? ::)

That Gretzky is supporting this is disappointing too, but I guess he knows where his bread is buttered. 

I'm as sick of this as anyone is, but the league and the justice system left it wide open to fester for years. 

Have to add this after the fact:  I hate Bettman, ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* really ******* hate him.  He's an ass and destroying the league.  He won the battle but hasn't got a clue how to run a war.  Jackass.  Moron.  ****tard.  Idiot.  Wanker.   >:(
« Last Edit: August 9, 2005, 12:13 AM by Morgbug »

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 9, 2005, 12:26 AM »
"The NHL has decided the 17 months Todd Bertuzzi was prevented from playing hockey is enough punishment."
Uh, ****wad Bettman?  He only missed 13 regular games and 7 playoff games, that's barely a month of hockey ::)

His punishment is a complete joke, I think anyone would agree with that.  $500,000 - Sure, to you or me, that's a **** load of money, but to him?  Hardly a dent.

I guess I just have a hard time with Steve Moore coming off as such an "innocent".  It's just too hard for me to ignore the knee-on-knee hit - I know the league said it was a clean hit, but to me it's one of the dirtiest moves in the book.  I'm not saying it justifies the stupid extreme that Bertuzzi took this to, but surely Moore shouldn't be allowed to portray himself as a total victim.

Have to add this after the fact:  I hate Bettman, ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* really ******* hate him.  He's an ass and destroying the league.  He won the battle but hasn't got a clue how to run a war.  Jackass.  Moron.  ****tard.  Idiot.  Wanker.   >:(

Now that's something I can't argue with.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #43 on: August 9, 2005, 12:35 AM »
Pittsburgh's on a freakin' spree. :)  Ziggie Palfy was the big one gaining the most attention around the city so far...  This whole thing's been weird to watch though...  Never seen so much movement.  I think the "he who hesitates, masturbates" phrase may be something we hear into the season for the teams not making many moves.  I mean, you have your cap, you know what you gotta do, so I'd be moving... 

Lots of names still gonna be moving around though for sure.  This is fun, and yet sort of frightening to watch.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 9, 2005, 12:38 AM »
Oh sure, change the whole tone of the discussion ::)

The Pens have been doing some amazing things.  What a spectacular environment for Crosby to walk into.  The question now becomes where to draft the kid in a fantasy draft.  He can play, but he's young and inexperienced.  At the same time, he's bound to be on the powerplay with Palffy, Lemieux and Gonchar?  There's no way he can not score buckets of points.  Especially if the league ::) actually enforces its own rules.