Author Topic: NHL 2005-06  (Read 87384 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: NHL 2005-2006 Thread
« Reply #315 on: February 14, 2006, 11:13 AM »
I don't doubt you've heard that Jesse, but I'm going to suggest it's the more sensationlized aspect than having lots to do with reality.  Time will tell but there've been no reports up here to indicate any of that sort of information at all.  And it's big news up here, front page news on the rags and legitimate papers as well.  No one has dropped any numbers at all, so I'd suggest what you're hearing is people speculating and making the story more interesting than it might really be. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Ian_C

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • The Bothan Spy
« Reply #316 on: February 14, 2006, 03:30 PM »
If you're right, then yeah it's too excessive.

I had the understanding it was a much smaller amount - like only $5000.

Ian
Moderator - www.thebothanspy.com
Former Admin - www.snowtroopers.ca

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #317 on: February 14, 2006, 03:45 PM »
The latest on the news now here is that Gretzky has been in Vegas at some $25000 per hand Poker Tourney... even if they can't link him to the ring, they are trying to play it up as a big "gambling is bad" thing.  ::)

Personally, I see no problem on the bettors part if they were not betting on Hockey.  Even if a few players were betting on NFL games, who cares?  It's not against the law and it's not against the CBA.  It's a totally different situation than Pete Rose who bet not only bet on his own sport, but also on his own team.  If it turns out that the bettors were also betting on the NHL and/or their teams, that's a differnt thing to me.

That's the bettors though - the people placing the bets.  The Bookies/Organizers are another beast.  Tocchet is basically screwed - he's the one who broke the law by profiting off the betting and endorsing gambling.  He is the bookie in essence and that part (being a bookie) IS what is against the law in the USA.  He's looking at some big damage if/when everything shakes out...

So, for me, I look at it this way -
For the people who placed bets, it's embassaing but understandable.  A large number of people bet with their friends on the superbowl in office pools and the like.   Just kind of an embassassment to deal with... but if they bet on NHL games, well that's a no-no.

For the people who took the bets - Tocchet and pals - they are screwed.  They are the ones who did the illegal part and they are the ones who have to deal with the aftermath...

As for Gretz, I'm sure he knew his wife was involved on some level but maybe not the extent of how much she was involved.  Does that make him guilty?  Not really.  Can you blame him for trying to dust it off?  No, it'd be most guys reaction to try to protect their wife in a situation like that...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #318 on: February 15, 2006, 02:54 AM »
Yeah it could just be sensationalized, I'm just saying what I keep hearing from numerous places...  There was word LeClaire and Recchi were in on it too though and now that's not seemingly being talked about at all so I dunno.

I still thing chicks gambling heavily is a turn-off.  Reminds me of a fat Italian guy like Artie Lange and his heavy gambling issues...  I can't get it out of my mind is all, but yeah it could be completely false for all I know, it's just what is bantered about down here.

The US is definitely painting Gretzky badly, which is typical "Let's beef this up with the biggest name involved" while little is really being shown to go to him particularly, but rather other people around him...  But ya still gotta use his name to make the story big.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 15, 2006, 02:22 PM »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 15, 2006, 03:13 PM »
Not nice to rejoice in an injury, but it does improve the odds for Canada.  Hasek's been a huge surprise to me this year.  I also don't own him in any fantasy leagues, so it doesn't hurt me there either. 

Not good for the Czech's, that's for sure.  Ouch.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #321 on: February 15, 2006, 03:44 PM »
Hasek injured!

I also don't own him in any fantasy leagues, so it doesn't hurt me there either.

>:(

First Nagy is out for the year, now this.  I hope it's just a temporary thing and he is smart enough to sit out of the Olympics and not de-rail his duty to Ottawa and the NHL just to satisfy the Czech Team.   :-\

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 15, 2006, 04:05 PM »
Not nice to rejoice in an injury, but it does improve the odds for Canada.  Hasek's been a huge surprise to me this year.  I also don't own him in any fantasy leagues, so it doesn't hurt me there either. 

Not good for the Czech's, that's for sure.  Ouch.

Definitely not rejoicing.  Was more shocked than anything.  It was bound to happen to some star.  I think this was the moment everyone was waiting for with Hasek's groin.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 15, 2006, 04:25 PM »
Sorry Jason, I didn't mean you, I meant me.  I didn't state that clearly, no offense was meant.  My meaning that it was good news for me as a fan of the Canadian team at the Olympics and while it is good news for Team Canada, it's not good for me to be happy about it, even if it brings some potential relief. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 18, 2006, 09:57 PM »
Nasty time right now, mostly Olympics related:

Hasek
Jagr with a possible concussion
Elias with rib injury
Theodore with a fractured heel

So much for rest and healing up :o

Offline Ian_C

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • The Bothan Spy
« Reply #325 on: February 22, 2006, 10:15 AM »
I hope it's just a temporary thing and he is smart enough to sit out of the Olympics and not de-rail his duty to Ottawa and the NHL just to satisfy the Czech Team.   :-\

On the contrary, I'd love it.  Ottawa sucks, and the last thing I ever want to see is that egotistical excuse for a team win anything.

Ian
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 10:16 AM by Ian_C »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #326 on: February 22, 2006, 10:53 AM »
On the contrary, I'd love it.  Ottawa sucks, and the last thing I ever want to see is that egotistical excuse for a team win anything.

Well, since I have Hasek as my #1 goalie on my NHL fantasy team, I have to care about him and Ottawa.

Go Senators!   ;)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 22, 2006, 11:09 PM »
Bah, just ignore Ian and his blue blood ::)  Somehow he has himself convinced that Alfredsson is a jerk but Sundin is great.  A Swede is a Swede buddy ;)

Offline Ian_C

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • The Bothan Spy
« Reply #328 on: February 23, 2006, 11:37 AM »
LOL, yep.  GO LEAFS GO!!!

Alfreddson should be entered in the summer Olympics as a triathalon athlete.  He sure gets enough exercise on those stationary bikes. ;)

Ian

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #329 on: March 6, 2006, 01:02 PM »
It sounds like Erik Cole will miss the rest of the regular season with a compression fracture in a vertebra in his neck.  :-\

Dang, neck injuries are NEVER good.  Lucky he wasn't hurt a heck of a lot worse...