Author Topic: NEW TIE Fighter  (Read 43966 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: NEW TIE Fighter
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2005, 01:04 PM »
Well there will be one extra on shelves with my pass.  Definitely not worth $40.  If it had electronics I might bite.  Especially if it had that fly by sound.  The coolest ship sound in the Trilogies. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2005, 03:24 PM »
It's our own fault for the high prices.  We bought up 12 dollar Clones, and 12 dollar Lava Vaders...they know that they can over charge us, and it will still sell.

Truer words have never been spoken. :(
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2005, 04:16 PM »
B-Wings didn't sell...  I'm thinking this may not if it's heavily shipped.

I'm still debating if it's even to-scale yet...  So I'm gonna measure if I find one while it's in the box and if it's not I'm passing.  I'm thinking it's still underscale though, so that'll make my decision easy enough.  Even if it was to-scale though, At $40 each I've gone from buying upwards of 4 to definitely only getting 1 if any at all.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2005, 05:33 PM »
It's our own fault for the high prices.  We bought up 12 dollar Clones, and 12 dollar Lava Vaders...they know that they can over charge us, and it will still sell.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was about to say.  I agree with Mike here, in that Target's realized that we're pretty much going to buy any of their exclusives, regardless of price.  I think when the Lava Vaders and Target Clones sold like hotcakes at at whopping $13, they realized they had us by the balls now, and could jack the prices up on stuff from here on out.  I'm pretty damned sure that's why the last wave of cups suddenly jumped from $10 to $13.  I'd guess that's also why the TIE is going for $10 more than it should too.  Hell, the regular old version of the TIE Fighter went for $20.  Add a figure and a revised cockpit, and I guess I could almost see it going for $30, though $25 would be more appropriate.  Add a couple scaled wings, and it shouldn't be more than another $5 or so.  This thing should be $29.99.  Maybe $34.99, tops.

But I'll still be buying a couple at $40 though, of course.  Hopefully these things shelf warm, and hit clearance eventually (which Target isn't doing nearly as much these days), so we can nab them at a more reasonable price later on down the road.

B-Wings didn't sell...

They sold through pretty well out here, and I remember hearing a lot of folks had a hard time tracking these down elsewhere, so I don't think they did all that poorly...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 05:34 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2005, 06:06 PM »
I do want one of these, regardless of price.

It'll probably show up when I don't have enough money to spare on something like this.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2005, 06:11 PM »
In my neck of the woods, the B-Wing (and the Leia w/bike) were 2 items that saw clearance at Target stores...  Most stores got about a half dozen B-Wings in, though one had a stack I recall, and I don't recall any of them moving fast here.

They sold, but only after about $10 mark-downs.  I got a 2nd one for trading at the time I recall.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2005, 06:45 PM »
Hmm, I'll see how well they sell first. If they sit, I'll get it on clearance.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2005, 06:55 PM »

This is true.  In addition to what Matt said about the cups' price being raised by three dollars, now that I've seen the price of the TIE Fighter, I'm worried what the Plo Koon JSF is going to be priced at.  Before I said that 25 would be pushing it, but now I am thinking that 30 might end up being Target's retail price, given their warped pricing scheme these days. 

So, let's see:

-Target abolishes the ability to scan DCPI numbers, seemingly to keep collectors from bothering them?  CHECK.

-Target is increasingly rude and avoidant with not just collectors, but customers as well?  CHECK.

-Target refuses to pull new product to sell, much less to even stock the shelves with?  CHECK.

-Target raises the prices on everything across the board (25 bucks for the Sith vs. Jedi Battle Pack, while WM has it for 20?) and raises the prices of their exclusives to astronomical levels?  CHECK.

-Target continues to get more exclusive items than any other chain store, despite the utter failure of the Micro Series, and the massive disasters that were the Lava Vader and (to a much lesser extent) the SA Clone Trooper?  (UNFORTUNATELY) CHECK.

Target is like the stupid guy at work that is constantly messing everything up, but he happens to be married to the boss's daughter, so he ends up getting rewarded for his ineptitude. 

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2005, 08:00 PM »
Well there will be one extra on shelves with my pass.  Definitely not worth $40.  If it had electronics I might bite.  Especially if it had that fly by sound.  The coolest ship sound in the Trilogies. 

I couldn't agree more.  The fly by sound might make it worth the money, but to be honest, now I don't even care that the wings are to scale.  Obviously, the more accurate the scale and mold, the better, but at that price, I'll be passing.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2005, 10:56 PM »
I wonder if the Wal-Mart bashers are loving Target so much these days?   ;)

:P

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2005, 11:03 PM »
I hate them both, however I still prefer shopping at Target.  Mine still allows DPCI searches though so I dunno that that is a nationwide thing.

WM's **** for distribution though and has tanked another toy line I like so currently I hold more anymosity towards them.  They start offering gasoline on the cheap cheap though and my opinion may be swayed.

Honestly I like K-Mart more than both.  They've been a good company up here that has had more steadily reliable distribution over the 10+ years of the line.

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2005, 11:50 PM »
I'll buy one at clearance, that's about it.

B-wings sold well in my area at first but then they stuck around for a while.  I got my 1st one at 40 but the 2nd at 19 and the last two around 9 and some change.
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2005, 12:10 AM »
$9 or $19 or anywhere close to either of those prices would be wonderful to find the TIE at...

But I think the TIE is a much more popular design than the B-Wing.  So it might not sit around long enough to hit those clearance prices.

Then again, there's already been the previous POTF2 TIE, and it was repacked, so who knows.  Maybe these will sit and hit clearance.

I don't think I'm gonna chance it though.  I've been wanting a more to scale TIE for about a decade, so I think I'll be stupid and buy two of them for the full price if I see them.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2005, 01:22 AM »

B-Wings didn't sell...

They sold through pretty well out here, and I remember hearing a lot of folks had a hard time tracking these down elsewhere, so I don't think they did all that poorly...

I'm going to have to agree with Jesse, at least in my area and reading reports at the time, several of the more recent and "large" Target exclusives had to be clearanced out. Such items as:

- POTJ B-Wing Fighter from $40 to as low as $10
- SAGA A-Wing Fighter from $20 to as low as $10 (shoulda bought more :( )
- SAGA Princess Leia on Speeder Bike from $50 to as low as $20

The same could be said about non-exclusive vehicles as well, including most of the SAGA and Clone Wars vehicles, and I'm guessing soon enough based on what I've seen, the ROTS Mustafar playset.

And outside of the "large" scale for exclusive items,  let's not forget those horrid SAGA Accessory sets and more recently the ROTS Clonetrooper.

Now of course it's hit and miss with Targets and their exclusives. I only saw the Sail Skiff once and never saw the Y-Wing here in Chicagoland, but people elsewhere reported seeing many of those elsewhere, though not on clearance. On the flip side, every item I mentioned above was clearanced in my area and many others, but as in Matt's case at least with the B-Wing they sold out before clearances. Because of the hit and miss nature of Target, I wouldn't advise waiting for clearances to get the exclusive TIE Fighter if you really want the ship, because you could miss out. I intend to buy one when I first find it, and then later if there are clearances I'll pick up a few more.

As for the price, $40 is pushing it, but as was already mentioned, Target & Hasbro know we're willing to pay that much, so they'll bump up the price. We're stupid people us collectors.  :-\
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2005, 02:54 AM »
I NEVER saw the SAGA A-Wing, and during that time I was hitting 2-3 Targets every other day... lucky I was able to get one at a fair price from a dealer.