Author Topic: NEW TIE Fighter  (Read 43950 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: NEW TIE Fighter
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2005, 03:02 AM »
The A-Wing was abundant here too Jason.  While I love the ship, it did clearance here as well.  It went pretty fast though as there weren't a ton.  I remember the B-Wing being rather abundant.  I know they sold at first but then sat...  That initial rush died on them.

The only 12" speederbike fig I wanted was the Scout and that was a set I never saw...  Same with the Y-Wing when we first got Targets in this area.  That was non-existant here.

Target's REAL spotty with exclusives and I'm always sorta bummed to hear when they get one.  TRU's the best at distributing exclusives I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2005, 04:45 AM »
Target's REAL spotty with exclusives and I'm always sorta bummed to hear when they get one.  TRU's the best at distributing exclusives I think.

TRU may be good at distributing exclusives, but they always wind up with way more than they will sell. And worse yet is unlike Target who will notice its time to clearance, TRU will sit on the exclusives forever. Just look at the Screen Scenes, it's sick that a year plus later, they still haven't moved and are still priced at $19.99
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2005, 04:59 AM »
I saw 20 of the A-Wing at a local Target, and decided I wait cause I'd figured they'd be abundant. Then I never saw it again.  :-\ Luckily I got one at C3 for $20 from YesterToys.

I wonder if the Wal-Mart bashers are loving Target so much these days?    ;)

:P

Not loving the exclusives pricing, but yes I still like Target more than Wal-Mart, this doesn't change that. Wal-Mart sucks and it always will. The only reason I go is to check for Star Wars Toys, and usually I find what I need at target, Wally is just peg-warmer central.
"This is the way."

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2005, 11:48 AM »
I wonder if the Wal-Mart bashers are loving Target so much these days? ;)

As much as I hate Wal-Mart for their business practices and their destruction of small-town America, the point has to be conceded that in some areas, WM is all there is (partially due to the destruction of small-town America).  Target, to me at least and on a pure aesthetic level, is a much more pleasant place to shop because it is designed in such a way that your shopping can be done relatively easy.  No clutter in the middle of the main aisles, the regular aisles with stock are wide and easily negotiated, and above all, it's clean and the shelves are always neatly arranged.  When you have obsessive-compulsive cleanliness issues like I do, this is a big plus.

Wal-Mart is designed so the aisles are extremely close together (this was if someone is blocking your path, you have to go down another aisle to come around and WM is counting on you seeing something you want on impulse in the aisle you use as a detour) and the main aisles have those huge island displays every three feet.  90% of the WMs I have been in even have carts full of stuff sitting between the islands so if you want to do a cut-across, you're just SOL and you have to walk to the end of the aisle and turn around.  And to top it all off, a lot of WMs don't really put a lot of credence in the idea of cleanliness (either their shelves or the patrons) and nothing is arranged in a logical manner.  For example, there are three different sections for soap dishes in my local WM and NONE of them is in the bathroom section.  ::)

That being said, Target employees and corporate practices are becoming really ridiculous lately (for reasons I outlined in a semi-sarcastic manner in an earlier post) and if they're going to look down on collectors and treat us like garbage, then they shouldn't be the store getting the cooler exclusives (if the TIE Fighter is going to be a big disaster, I can only imagine how that "Clone Attack on Coruscant" battle pack is going to be).

The thing that makes TRU exclusives a little bit more manageable is that TRU actually puts their exclusives up for sale on the website.  Target has, to my knowledge, only ever put the A-Wing (briefly) and the Lava Vader (very briefly) up for sale on their website and I think it's that reason why the Target exclusives are so difficult to get.  Target has their ass-backwards policies ("I don't care if we have it in the back.  It's better for it to sit there and collect dust than to sell it to you.") and they refuse to adapt them to the changing times.  I don't think I have ever seen a store that would rather hold stuff in the back to spite people than actually sell it more than Target (TRU is close on this, as the TRU nearest me is useless).

As for the B-Wing, I never saw one at retail and neither did any of my online friends, so I ended up paying 60 dollars for one from an etailer who got them from overseas.   :-\

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2005, 01:05 PM »
I don't have any TIE fighters, so if it hits clearance for $19.99 or so, I may bite. Otherwise I give this a big F-U.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 01:05 PM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2005, 12:59 PM »
I decided about 2 years ago that I would pass on 99% of all ships and stuff (my son still buys some). Anyway, I'll pass on this.
As far as shopping, I have to admit for figures I go to Walmart 90% of the time. I only go to Target if I want something that will last alittle longer. For example, I have bought 3 watches in the last year from Wally for $5 to $10, and they have all worn out. So I went back and bought a watch from Target for $25. My last watch from Target lasted 4 years (not the battery, I'm hard on watches) before I destroyed it.
Same with my kids clothes. We buy Target because we got tired of the jeans breaking/wearing out in a month with my son. Our Target jeans last him until he grows out of them. So for watches and kids clothes I shop Target. For Star Wars, I have to say I support the evil empire.

Edit: Okay, I lied. I just saw the news on Sam's Club with the ARC 170, and I really like the ship, and with the clones and R2 unit for $30, I may have to get that.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 01:03 PM by TheBlackDog65 »
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2005, 09:18 AM »
As much as I hate Wal-Mart for their business practices and their destruction of small-town America, the point has to be conceded that in some areas, WM is all there is (partially due to the destruction of small-town America).  Target, to me at least and on a pure aesthetic level, is a much more pleasant place to shop because it is designed in such a way that your shopping can be done relatively easy.  No clutter in the middle of the main aisles, the regular aisles with stock are wide and easily negotiated, and above all, it's clean and the shelves are always neatly arranged.  When you have obsessive-compulsive cleanliness issues like I do, this is a big plus.

I agree with this.  My wife and I actually like shopping at Target quite a bit, aside from collectibles.  Probably our favorite store overall, but maybe we just have better luck at ours.  It seems like a lot of their home/other stuff is a step up in quality from Wal-Mart, and it isn't nearly the hassle to go there.  Wal-Mart is a necessary evil it seems though, we end up getting our groceries and stuff like that there, just because it is cheap and convenient.  I of course check out their toys as well when I'm there, but when possible, I try to give the business to Target.  For our Wal-Mart at least, it really is a huge pain to go there.  Always crazy busy, check out takes forever no matter how much you have, cleanliness is definitely not a priority, and the aisles are crammed with so much stuff (down the middle too) that it is nearly impossible to get through anywhere.  Couple that with the unavoidable, incredibly slow moving shoppers, Wal-Mart usually leads to the "urge to kill....rising" state of mind ;).

Anyways, back on topic here....I'm not too happy with the $40 pricepoint if this holds true.  I had planned on picking up one of these, and I still might, but that price will make me think twice.  $30 I could have stomached, $20-25 would have been even better, but $40 seems high...especially since there isn't any electronics included.  As far as the B-Wing....when that came out, I had been learning the "hard luck" of exclusives, by seeing both the Tatooine Skiff and Y-Wing, and thinking "I'll pick it up on the way out".  At this time we lived in a different area, and had to drive to a "city" about 45 minutes away to a Target, and this particular Target was part of a mall.  Anyways, I hadn't yet learned the ins and outs of Star Wars exclusives, so I stupidly thought twice about these and then of course missed them.  When the B-Wing was released, I bought it right away (they had plenty) at the full price of $40.  I would say not a month later they were being clearanced for $10-ish.  I suppose it all depends on the ship though.  With the more recent OTC Slave 1, I used the DCPI#, and got it during that little "sale" they had.  At that particular Target, I don't believe I ever did see them hit the floor (mine was brought from the back).  Then, at the other Target in town, they didn't have the Slave 1s out until well after the big OTC push, and when they were put on the floor they were clearanced from day 1 ($20-ish).  Anyways, I'd like to wait for clearance on this TIE, if possible.  I'd like to get one, but $40 does seem a little steep.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2005, 09:56 AM »
At $40, I'll pick up one for sure to open. Anything beyond that is questionable. Depends on what else is being released at the time. I have to agree that this item will definately not move as well as other exclusives. At $50, a 12" speederbike is one thing, that's a big toy. The Tie fighter isn't big for $40, this will deter casual collectors, parents (of the non-collecting variety,) and scalpers.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2005, 04:15 PM »
Word on the street is that the TIE in stores now...

Time to write down that DPCI and start checking.!

TIE Fighter w/Figure
DPCI = 087-06-1496
$39.99
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2005, 09:39 PM »
So are we still saying this is from "The Saga Collection" (2006), or should we toss it in the ROTS forum?

What does everyone think?  Looks kinda like it's in "ROTS" styled packaging, but it's obviously not from ROTS.  I guess it's akin to the recent Target cup sets, huh?  Are those in the ROTS forum?  I think so...

SilverZ

« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2005, 11:35 PM »
I say if it's ROTS-style packaging on a 2005 toy, it's for the ROTS forum.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2005, 01:38 AM »
I concur.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2005, 09:24 AM »
Looks kinda like it's in "ROTS" styled packaging, but it's obviously not from ROTS.  I guess it's akin to the recent Target cup sets, huh?  Are those in the ROTS forum?  I think so...

I say if it's ROTS-style packaging on a 2005 toy, it's for the ROTS forum.

I concur.

Moved.

I checked a few MN Targets last night with the DPCI number, but alas, I found no new TIEs.   :'(
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2005, 10:10 AM »
I don't know if it had been 100% confirmed, but the person who found this locally said that the Pilot included was indeed the first release POTF2 Pilot. Not the Saga Pilot and not even the revised POTF2 Pilot with articulated knees.

What a dissapointment, but not a surprise.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

SilverZ

« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2005, 01:01 PM »
I was able to get 2 this morning using the DPCI#. They're two per case. Here's something incredibly lame -- since the boxes are shaped to the wings, there is a ton of empty space in the sides of the shipping carton that are not filled with padding. The case I was given was caved in on the side from having something sitting on top of it (I assume). One of the packages looked banged up because of it.  ::)

I had to race to work so I haven't even looked at them beyond pulling one out to have them scan it. I'll try to get pics up tonight.

$86.00 for two frickin' TIEs.  >:(