Author Topic: NEW TIE Fighter  (Read 44059 times)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: NEW TIE Fighter
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2005, 03:43 PM »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2005, 05:23 PM »
For the curious it comes in around 1/19 - 1/20 scale (not 1/18) however the measurements I got for height could definitely be off on some level since I've found some conflicting width measurements.

That's making it about right...  Pretty negligible differences.  I'm gonna pick one up to do some more comparing (if it's way off I'll just take it back), but it seems alright.

$40 alright?  Well that's another story all together.   ::)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

SilverZ

« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2005, 01:00 AM »
Added some pics boxed and loose:

Big Mutha TIE

It does seem pretty big, but right. The center is the same as the last KB exclusive version with the corrected back, and still has the 2003 copyright text.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2005, 01:15 AM »
And the Pilot was it POTF2 or SAGA? I assuming POTF2 from the pictures. >:( >:( >:(
"This is the way."

SilverZ

« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2005, 01:19 AM »
Ooh, sorry. Yes, it's POFT2 all the way. No knee joints even. That would have raised the retail to at least 49.99.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2005, 01:50 AM »
Good pics Jared, have you compared the new TIE to the F/X X-Wing (or the various SAGA incarnations of it)? Are they relatively in scale? A pic would be cool.   ;)

I think I have an explanation why we got the crappy POTF2 TIE Pilot with the new TIE. Commonly, exclusive items are controlled by a subset of Hasbro, that at one point went by the name Hasbro Direct. They're responsible for all the store/con exclusives and if you have noticed over the last few years, all exclusives have in one way or another had several re-used pieces. A recent example would be the Jedi vs Sith Battle Pack exclusive to Target. A good chunk of the General Grievous is from the ROTS Preview wave and the Yoda is from the SAGA Youngling 2-pack. So I'm thinking, perhaps the person responsible for this new TIE at Hasbro Direct, or whatever they're calling themselves nowadays, was unaware of a better TIE Pilot figure and ordered the one that they were aware of, thus robbing us of the properly used SAGA TIE Pilot.

I know it's a bit of a stretch, but it might have some bearing on the situation. And though disappointing as it may be, on the plus side, if you're like me and keep your pilots in their ships, you'll have a hard time distinguishing which pilot is in the cockpit.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2005, 02:58 AM »
WHOA! Just picked up this Tie tonite at Target. Totally satisfied...Can I just give thanks to JD-the awesome staffers here totally helped me get this ship tonite(Jared, Jeff-you guys rock). Last nite I wrote down the DCPI's that Jeff left and decided to try them at Target using Jared's plan. I ran into a little snag when.. the pricing machines at my store have no keypads- but luckily I found a toy clerk who checked the number( after looking at me like" where did you get this DCPI# you little ****" look he punched it in, went in the back and brought me the prize!

I was shaking at the checkout!- This ship alone was worth the 40 I killed on it just for the flashback it gave me-
It was about 1978/79 (I was 8,9)and my step dad and I were looking at a tie fighter in Kmart or JCPenny ..He said" Is this the one you want for your birthday, Jon?" I said "WHOAAA a Tie fighter, isn't it totally Baddo, Jay?" He said " Farm-OUT- Let's just not tell your Mom you're getting it for your B-day alright?" And then he gave that thumbs up sign like he always did. :)

Just getting this incredibly scaled ship took me back a step!   

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2005, 03:04 AM »
That would have raised the retail to at least 49.99.

heh   :D

Anyway, Jason I'd say (by the measurements I've heard) that the TIE is close to-scale if not accurate due to inaccurate numbers for ship dimensions in sourcebooks.  The FX X-Wing's 80% at best though if not slightly less, so the TIE's gonna look good with it if not a bit large actually.

At the price, I'll be lucky to get two...  I may just get one and hope for a sale if these are widely abundant around my area.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

SilverZ

« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2005, 03:18 AM »
I was shaking at the checkout!- This ship alone was worth the 40 I killed on it just for the flashback it gave me-

Glad it worked out! There's something satisfying about beating Target's system. For the life of me I don't understand why they've managed to position themselves as an "enemy" of collectors, making it a challenge to even find thier exclusives (even when they are physically in the store). It feels like sweet victory when we get the items despite the roadblocks.

Yeah, Jason, I'd really like to take comp pics (both of the old and new TIEs and next to the PFX Xwing) but most of my stuff is in storage due to a move. I'm kinda improvising at the moment.

I can see Hasbro using the old figure as a cost-cutting move, and can also imagine that they're horrified at the pricepoint Target is selling this at. The OTC Pilot is certainly comprised of more parts -- maybe that was part of it. I'm with you though that for me, the pilot will just sit inside, so there's no harm in it being the older version. I'm not even really a fan of the OTC sculpt, anyhow.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 03:19 AM by Tydirium »

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2005, 03:35 AM »
Jared- The older pilot had a flat black suit like this? I can't verify because I'm not in Northern Cal where my showroom is. ??? IMO The ship is too good -the pilot, that will be inserted in the ship anyway- is of minor importance. ::) 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2005, 10:33 AM »

Yeah, Jason, I'd really like to take comp pics (both of the old and new TIEs and next to the PFX Xwing) but most of my stuff is in storage due to a move. I'm kinda improvising at the moment.

I'd love to see these, at least until I'm able to score a new Tie.

The pictures you took look nice though, definately in scale with itself. ;)
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2005, 05:33 PM »
Ok, I'm convinced by the pics that this thing is worth $40.00 to me.  It's just too huge to pass up.  I am going to want two of them as openers... I just can't pass up this item.  To me, it's not overpriced because I've been wanting this for years.

:P

Offline SpudTrooper

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2005, 01:15 AM »
wait..dont really know if this was answered...but is this a Target exclusive  ???

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2005, 01:25 AM »
Isn't this TIE rumored to be a Target exclusive?  I thought I heard that somewhere.

I can't wait to become infuriated, I mean, shop, at Target for this.

Actually, yes - at the moment, it is planned to be a Target Exclusive item.  
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

SilverZ

« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2005, 02:14 AM »

Ummm... box 207 of 5000. Not to be an alarmist and make a speculation, but that's only 10,000 TIEs.