Author Topic: NEW TIE Fighter  (Read 44072 times)

Online Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: NEW TIE Fighter
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2005, 02:28 AM »
 >:(

That sucks. The know they are going to sell more than 10,000. I'm sure they sold more than 10,000 gunships. And there are people that will be buying multiples of these. Stupid Hasbro. >:(
"This is the way."

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2005, 02:44 AM »

Ummm... box 207 of 5000. Not to be an alarmist and make a speculation, but that's only 10,000 TIEs.

Stupid Hasbro. >:(

You could probably blame Target more than Hasbro on this one.  I wouldn't doubt that Target said they only wanted 10,000 to be sure they didn't get stuck with any extras and Hasbro simply followed through on the order.

Just my guess though.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 02:44 AM by JesseVader08 »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2005, 09:46 AM »
I'm really getting sick of Target fast.  They seem to be endorsing SCALPING with these damn exlusives.  Really, there's no reason for all of these damn exclusives, and such limited runs with them.  Good Lord.  I really am sick of them now.

:P

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2005, 09:52 AM »

You could probably blame Target more than Hasbro on this one.  I wouldn't doubt that Target said they only wanted 10,000 to be sure they didn't get stuck with any extras and Hasbro simply followed through on the order.

If the 10,000 number is, in fact, true, this kind of confuses me as it goes against one of Hasbro's most-used mantras: that of a retail partner ordering enough of a particular item to justify the tooling and mold costs. 

Since this is a ship that (partially) had to be done from scratch, Hasbro would have required a rather large order to create said molds going by their rationale.  An order of 10,000 just doesn't seem like it would be enough to me (although I could very well be wrong on that count) to justify creating the new wings, packaging, etc.  Earlier Target exclusives, such as the OTC Slave I, and the Lava Vader and Neyo Clone action figures, were simple repaints, and additional cost was minimal (even the OTC Slave I's extra guns/launchers had already been tooled back in 2002).  Each of these were made in excess of 10,000 (I would guess; I don't have the Lava Vader in front of me to check, but wasn't it 1 of 50,000?) and I would imagine didn't require much in the way of financial resources to be dedicated to them outside of the packaging.

This is all just speculation and wishful thinking on my part, but I'm really hoping that 10,000 is just an initial shipment and that there will be another shipment in a month or so with more of these.  Otherwise, it is going to be an absolute nightmare/scalper's paradise to get even one of them, what with Target's recent thinly veiled contempt toward the people who shop there.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2005, 10:24 AM »
I think the amount invested on the Big H's part is minimal. They are producing 10,000 TIEs but that's actually 20,000 (new) wings.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2005, 10:31 AM »
Potential limited quantity does stink. What's that work out to? Less than 10 per store? Also, I would assume the order can be left open ended.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2005, 10:58 AM »
Well, 10,000 isn't unheard of for a store exclusive.  The FAO Shuttle was limited to only 5000 and the Target Skiff was limited to 15,000.

10k seems pretty low since with 1350 stores that works out to only 6-8 per store.  :(

Hopefully, the 5000 boxes is only the first order/batch and that more will be coming later...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 25, 2005, 02:38 PM »
Way to freak us all out Jared! ;) Well glad I got mine already, phew!

I'll bet there IS still alot of profit in this-The retooling is only the initial stage for a new product-next the longer manufacturing/assembly line molds is where the big H saves their production cost-good point about the wings- I can definately see Target(with their incredible mark-up) making alot off of this run.
C'mon if it wasn't beneficially for Hasbro to fill a 10K$ order, they would have never done it.

Hope every collector gets one.. but @ ?10,000? highley unlikely. If not don't wait to long down the road to get one of an auction because ..with potential limited run like this..it could suck(cost)

Not sure how 'golden' the box print means for this- it could be legit but..it could be the first shipment/production out of 2 waves-the later does sound unlikely though.

Way to get us going again J 8) 

SilverZ

« Reply #98 on: August 25, 2005, 03:40 PM »
Yeah, maybe it's an open order type thing, and that X/5000 is just an initial run. Maybe the number doesn't mean jack, too.

I'd also assume there's at least that same amount being done for ROW. It seems like such a small run for a core vehicle.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 01:47 AM by Tydirium »

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2005, 04:06 PM »
I'd like to thank both Jeff and Jared, since both of them (unbeknownst to them) had a hand in me actually getting one of the TIEs from my local Target about 2 hours ago.  And here is why:

First of all, Jared's photo of the case and the X/5000 on its side caused my usually astronomical paranoia to go into overdrive.  I began to worry that the TIE would be like every other item that Target hasn't stocked since June, and I would end up missing out on it completely, overpriced or not.  So, Jared, thank you for fueling the paranoia to a point where I decided I needed to do something about it rather than take a wait and see approach.

Which brings me to Jeff, who was kind enough to post the DPCI numbers in another thread, and who was more or less the supplier of my means to find out about the stock status at this Target.  Since gas prices were so high, and after having made a rather lengthy round-trip yesterday for employment reasons, I didn't want to have to drive back out, so I decided to roll the dice and call Target's CS desk at the local store, and see if they could check the DPCI.

Long story short, the young lady who answered the phone checked the DPCI, said they had them ("If they're not on the shelves, we've got them in the back"), and that she would get one for me and hold it at the CS desk until I arrived.  An hour or so later, I was leaving Target with a brand-spanking new TIE Fighter, thanks to Jared's and Jeff's unwitting assistance.  If I ever meet you guys in person, I'm buying each of you a drink. :)

So, yeah, the ship itself as stated earlier is 39.99 (it's still overpriced) plus your state's share.  The figure is the POTF2 figure, and the wings are HUGE.  I was expecting them to be a little bigger, but once I saw the box in person, I had to try and keep my jaw off the floor.  After getting it assembled, it's even more impressively large.  And despite constantly being told that size doesn't matter, the size of the wings is 12.5 inches wide by 15.5 inches tall.  So it's significantly bigger than the vintage/POTF2/OTC versions and to my eyes, it's perfectly in scale for the first time ever.

The only sore point (aside from price and the POTF2 pilot) is the fact that one of the laser cannons on the front isn't completely painted on mine (the silver is missing, even though the red is still there).  But, as the TIE I got was pulled from the back storeroom for me, I didn't want to push my luck.

So, in summation, cool and huge toy, still horribly overpriced, Jared and Jeff get a free drink, and I'm broke. :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 04:06 PM by DoctorPadawan »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2005, 04:14 PM »
Now that this is finally out and pics with something to scale it have been seen, I'll eat my words and say I'm surprised they got it right.  I'm not picky enough to get a new one though, unless I manage to stumble on it next time I'm in the states.  But I just can't see parting with $50 CAD for something, even if it is rescaled and in a window box. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2005, 11:45 PM »
Measurements compared to source material on TIE's say it's about 1:19 scale which since SW figures vary as to 1:18 scale (some are, some aren't, some aren't even in the friggin' ballpark) then I think 1:19-ish is fair to say it's dead-on in-scale.  This has me giddy.

I got one tonight, it's a worthy purchase though the price stings for sure.  I think it's a $30 ship but such is the life of a Target exclusive.  I think you'd pretty well be happy with this one Brent.

I wanna extend my thanks to Jeff and Jared for getting the DCPI #'s up too because that's the only way I had gotten this ship.

It's big...  Fun to kidna "fly" around if you know nobody's watching.  Looks like it would eat the FX X-Wing for breakfast too since that ship's not near 1:18 scale (always a disappointment  :-\ ).  With an A-Wing though, this'll look great...  That's where my TIE's heading.

TIE Bombers flanking it look great too.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2005, 11:42 PM »
These are of course not good pics by any stretch but I work with what I have and what I have as far as cameras go is VERY little.  :)  It was free for god's sake!

Not the best pics, like I said, but a little comparison of the TIE Fighter to the TIE Interceptor and TIE Bomber.  Sweeeet.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline SpudTrooper

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 27, 2005, 12:12 AM »
DAMN! that thing is huge  :o must be pretty heavy and worth the $40

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile