Author Topic: NEW TIE Fighter  (Read 44065 times)

Offline proudfather2

• Jedi Initiate
  • Todd
    • View Profile
Re: NEW TIE Fighter
« Reply #120 on: August 30, 2005, 01:54 PM »
I checked all of my nearby, and not so nearby, Targets yesterday and none of them even had shelf tags for these. The one exclusive that I really want and I probably won't be able to find. It ******* figures! Hopefully the price on this will discourage at least one potential buyer thus allowing me to be able to find it eventually. ;)

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #121 on: August 30, 2005, 02:12 PM »
I checked all of my nearby, and not so nearby, Targets yesterday and none of them even had shelf tags for these. The one exclusive that I really want and I probably won't be able to find. It ******* figures! Hopefully the price on this will discourage at least one potential buyer thus allowing me to be able to find it eventually. ;)

Did you try giving them the SKU number? That's how I got mine, and I think alot of people are doing the same.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #122 on: August 30, 2005, 02:58 PM »
That's what I did too, you have to give the DCPI # to an employee though. The number was blocked out on the normal scanners for some reason.

They haven't put out a shelf tag at my stores either.
"This is the way."

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 30, 2005, 03:06 PM »
Has anyone actually found these sitting on the shelf yet?  Just looking back over the last few pages of the thread, and I admit many of the purchases don't specify, it looks as if nearly everyone had to use the DPCI to get one or more of these. 

My point being is that if Target told Hasbro they wanted an item which would bring people into stores and buy more toys or any other items, and the only people who are getting them are those people who have the equivalent of the Target Super-Secret Handshake, it really doesn't do much for anybody outside of the internets.  Not that I'm complaining about the DPCI (I still owe Jeff and Jared their drinks), but isn't the point of having an exclusive to put it on the shelf and sell it, without making customers jump through red tape?

Offline DarthAcroyear

• Jedi Initiate
  • TI - 568, D. Acroyear, Callsign "Spartan"
    • View Profile
    • Acro's Lair
« Reply #124 on: August 30, 2005, 03:49 PM »
Has anyone actually found these sitting on the shelf yet? 

I'm may have read somewhere that someone has but I'm not sure. Most people that I know who have one had to ask an employee and give them the DPCI #.
TI-568, D. Acroyear, Callsign "Spartan"
Bloodfin Garrison,
Omega Wing Squadron

"I aim to misbehave."

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #125 on: August 30, 2005, 03:50 PM »
That's what I did too, you have to give the DCPI # to an employee though. The number was blocked out on the normal scanners for some reason.

They haven't put out a shelf tag at my stores either.

D'oh! Yeah that's what I meant DCPI not SKU.

Has anyone actually found these sitting on the shelf yet?  Just looking back over the last few pages of the thread, and I admit many of the purchases don't specify, it looks as if nearly everyone had to use the DPCI to get one or more of these.

My point being is that if Target told Hasbro they wanted an item which would bring people into stores and buy more toys or any other items, and the only people who are getting them are those people who have the equivalent of the Target Super-Secret Handshake, it really doesn't do much for anybody outside of the internets.  Not that I'm complaining about the DPCI (I still owe Jeff and Jared their drinks), but isn't the point of having an exclusive to put it on the shelf and sell it, without making customers jump through red tape?

I think everyone just ends up jumping the gun and requesting the exlcusive before they put it out on the shelves. I'm sure they would have put them out eventually.

-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 30, 2005, 07:09 PM »
By giving the employees at the customer service desk the DPCI number that was how I was able to score my two TIEs this morning.

Took a while to get 'em brought out, but it was worth the 15 minute wait in the end.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #127 on: August 30, 2005, 08:44 PM »
Yeah guys, use those DCPI #'s when you can.  Jot them in a tablet and keep it handy...  I now have a collecting notes tablet I keep in my car's visor for just these kinds of things. 

I've read someone finding them on the shelves, but only one person so far that I'm aware of in the general collecting community.  Got mine by asking a girl who probably wishes she hadn't asked me if I needed help finding something.

My method is usually to ask one person.  If denied, I go to another...  If denied, maybe another or at the very least I ALWAYS try the customer service person on the way out since they tend to be the most helpful.  In general the CSR's are better trained to be attentive to the wants/needs of a customer.

Also, may I suggest you lie if you really have to...  A classic I've used is, "Oh, I called and someone I talked to said to come down and they'd help me get this since it was in stock...  I live like an hour away so it's hard for me to get out here..."  blah blah blah

Not that that was a lie when I used it, but once I saw that it worked I've used it since and it's worked again.

Also, if your store is missing the scanners or they're broke, I used an employee's scanner gun once that they left in cart.  Likely get bitched at for that if you get caught, but hey...  whatever.

Don't let Target win.  They have been on my bad side lately, and even though I prefer them overall to Wal-Mart, I really think they're giving collectors a screw-job lately.  Perhaps it's to battle "scalpers", but I feel jipped lately and I know they're definitely spiking prices to where I don't want to bother shopping there.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 30, 2005, 08:54 PM »
The Targets in my area must have locked Star Wars out of the system or something because every DCPI # I have (tie, evolutions, 5 pack, lava, stealth and COLLECTION 1) doesn't work in the scanner. :-\
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 30, 2005, 09:23 PM »
Don't let Target win. They have been on my bad side lately, and even though I prefer them overall to Wal-Mart, I really think they're giving collectors a screw-job lately. Perhaps it's to battle "scalpers", but I feel jipped lately and I know they're definitely spiking prices to where I don't want to bother shopping there.

That's what I don't get about Target and how they are handling SW stuff right now.  They seem to be changing policies on a nationwide basis in order to thwart potential customers in their attempts to find what they are looking for.  Now, I can understand one local manager not caring for the toy collectors (who I would be willing to bet they all consider to be as annoying as the Hot Wheels folk) and being cold and standoffish, but doing it as a chain?

I had always been willing to shop at Target before I shopped at Wal-Mart for non-toy related stuff.  Target usually had the cheaper DVD prices on new release day, and even though their prices on food and personal hygiene products were a few cents higher, I justified the added cost because of Wal-Mart's corporate practices in general and shopped there instead.  Now, with Target basically adopting a "**** You" attitude toward SW collectors, I'm heavily debating not shopping there for my other needs anymore either. 

And that is what I think Target isn't thinking about when they block DPCI/DCPI (which is it?) access by customers, take out the price scanners in some areas completely, and basically make finding anything in the toy section a major league pain.  In their hypothetical moves to thwart the toy collectors, they are making people who do normal shopping there (like me) start to reconsider shopping there at all.  Not that Target cares, as retail is all about money, after all.

The problem with the TIE and any and every other 3.75 inch vehicle exclusive that Target has gotten over the years, going all the way back to the Skiff and Y-Wing in 1999, is that what should be readily available has never been so.  Every last one of their exclusive vehicles, in one way or another, has been a chore to get and often relied on "inside information" like the stock numbers to even know they had in the first place.  The fact is that we shouldn't have to use these numbers to find out their stock status, but Target's attitude that we aren't worth their effort has made it necessary, and that's distressing to me.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 31, 2005, 06:54 AM »
Ok - so last night I finally got a really good look at this thing and all I can say is, it sucks.

The new panels, to me at least, aren't worth this thing being 2x the price of a OTC TIE Fighter that was released a year ago. It's not like they're more detailed or have a great paint op.

And what gives with the pilot figure? A POTF2 TIE Pilot?!?! And of course the back of the box shows the better articulated one that came out in Saga, OTC and with the TIE Inteceptor and KB TIE Fighter exclusives.

So in my opinion, if the TIE Fighter wings meant a $20 increase in price for what Hasbro had to charge for this item, then they never should have done it in the first place and made Target pick a different vehicle if they wanted an OT Vehicle exclusive - like the cloud car.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 31, 2005, 10:15 AM »
The Targets in my area must have locked Star Wars out of the system or something because every DCPI # I have (tie, evolutions, 5 pack, lava, stealth and COLLECTION 1) doesn't work in the scanner. :-\

Seems every time I open my mouth, the opposite happens. I asked an employee to look up the number and sure enough, they had some in back.

I don't know Pete, I can't say that it sucks yet. Sure, the POTF2 Pilot is a huge let down, especially since the Saga one is pictured on the back, but the ship is more important to me. The wings are huge! They seem to me a bit over scaled, at least when compared to the cockpit. It's going to take some getting use to.

Anyone notice in the contents that the box says 4 wing panel pieces? Also, how about the recycling of the old Tie instructions (old small panels?) Funny.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 31, 2005, 10:30 AM »
Saw it.  Left it.  No way this can be justified at this price.  Its going to sit then clearance.  Exclusives are shaping up to ruin this whole hobby.  How many kids can afford a $40 piece of plastic?  A boy about 10 wanted one of these last night and even the parent had sticker shock and said no way, then thought the price may of been incorrect.  Big letdown for the boy when I said that was the price. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 31, 2005, 10:43 AM »
Oh yeah, here's a story from RS that I thought was sad and lame. Someone claims that they bought two and when they got them home, they noticed someone has swiched out the new panels with the old ones. Now, come on! How can you not notice that? Lame.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 31, 2005, 03:41 PM »
The local Target at which I got the TIE last week using the DCPI actually had two of these sitting on the shelf earlier today when I went by there looking for the Nip/Tuck Season 2 DVD set (which Target was sold out of, naturally).  There was no shelf tag for them, and they were just kind of shoved onto the bottom shelf where the lightsabers and Grievous silly string guns were, but it was surprising to see them there, nonetheless.