Author Topic: The Official Space Exploration Thread  (Read 230837 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: The Official Space Exploration Thread
« Reply #1215 on: August 21, 2016, 02:33 AM »
The trick with increased shielding is the increased mass of the spacecraft.  Launch operations and general propulsion are intrinsically tied to the mass of the spacecraft.  A magnetic shield may be less massive than shield plating with a traditional material like lead, but could potentially interfere with onboard instrumentation. 

The plan we came up with was to have a shielded room where the astronauts could retreat to in times of increased activity.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: August 24, 2016, 05:06 PM »
CONFIRMED!  ;D

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/24/health/proxima-b-centauri-rocky-planet-habitable-zone-neighbor-star/index.html

So cool!  Am I correct in understanding light years that if we were able to see Proxima B, we'd really be seeing it as it was 4.2 years ago since it takes that long for the light to reach us?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #1218 on: August 24, 2016, 05:16 PM »
That's right. Proxima B has a tremendous amount of pros going for it, and some cons, but it is a rocky world within the habitable zone of its star that could support liquid water, so LET'S GO!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: August 24, 2016, 10:57 PM »
I want to go to there.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1220 on: February 20, 2017, 09:19 AM »
So yeah - this is absolutely ridiculous...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeSJB-IOjzw
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: February 20, 2017, 12:08 PM »
That gives me goose bumps every time I see them land a rocket vertically.  Its hard to put in to words how cool that is that they've got the will and the brain power to solve that type of problem.

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: February 20, 2017, 12:33 PM »
It's incredibly impressive to see a rocket land like that.  I know they've been doing some sea landing trials with a drone ship, but I wonder if there are some long term concerns about the stability of the ships?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: February 20, 2017, 12:36 PM »
It's incredibly impressive to see a rocket land like that.  I know they've been doing some sea landing trials with a drone ship, but I wonder if there are some long term concerns about the stability of the ships?

I haven't read much about why they chose the drone ships vs. land based.  I'm not sure if that is the way they really wanted to go, or if it was more about risk mitigation until they proved out the tech.  You probably don't want a partially fueled rocket trying to land anywhere near people if you haven't proven you can control the landing well and keep it from exploding on a nearby highway.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: February 20, 2017, 12:49 PM »

Risk mitigation like Dave is alluding too is big too at this stage, but I think a big part of the reason is also that when you can just move your barge all over the ocean, it gives you more options for WHEN to land.  Getting to the point where they can safely and reliably land them like they did here is going to make it that much more inexpensive to do though, when you don't have to operate drone ships and pay to bring them back and haul them around as much.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: February 20, 2017, 02:11 PM »
That's so cool.  Looks like something out of a science fiction movie!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: February 20, 2017, 02:26 PM »
That landing is amazing...

Why a barge vrs land... fuel & safty issues...

THE WHY AND HOW OF LANDING ROCKETS

So. Why Did SpaceX Land a Rocket on a Barge?

**** Elon Says - Transcript - SpaceX Press Conference September 29 2013s

[Question on performance hit for attempting landing the first stage] We effectively lose, in terms of performance... It really depends on what we want to do with the stage if we were to do an ocean landing or a return to launch site landing. If we do an ocean landing, the performance hit is actually quite small at maybe in the order of 15%. If we do a return to launch site landing, it's probably double that, it's more like a 30% hit (i.e., 30% of payload lost).

As far as the safety aspect of the return to launch site of the first stage that's part of why we want to do it first in the ocean just to make sure that things will be fine. For any landing area that we would have, the landing ellipse, the sort of error that the stage could encounter would be an unpopulated region. So we would aim to have a landing site that's unpopulated with a radius of a couple of miles (which can be achieved in Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg).

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: February 20, 2017, 04:35 PM »
The safety issue is not insignificant, I will agree with that. Especially when you're deal with a rocket at speed with volatile fuel on board.

But it does seem that there can be an increase in risk variables with a sea landing, notably with the weather.  Most carrier rated pilots say that landing at sea is a big challenge not just because of the small field of an aircraft carrier and the incredibly small target of the arresting wires.  But also because the deck is subject to pitching and rolling based on the sea state (frequency and height of waves). 

The rocket touchdown is probably much more like a helicopter landing since it's a vertical approach to a relatively static landing zone.  But given the automated nature of the control systems for the drone ship as well as the rocket, is the guidance software really up to this sort of challenge on a regular basis?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 04:36 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #1228 on: August 21, 2017, 03:06 PM »
Hey, what time is the eclipse today?
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: February 6, 2018, 04:28 PM »
« Last Edit: February 6, 2018, 04:28 PM by Rob »