Author Topic: The Official Space Exploration Thread  (Read 125261 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

  • Jedi Sentinel
  • *
  • Posts: 10236
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Please watch my Imperial Army Time-lapse Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4aNdbwtR_g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline DSJ™

  • Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • *
  • Posts: 22365
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Space Exploration Thread
« Reply #271 on: June 17, 2006, 04:09 PM »
NASA Gives Green Light for Discovery's Launch!


NASA sets shuttle launch for July 1



From the left are astronauts Stephanie D. Wilson, Michael E. Fossum, both mission specialists; Steven W. Lindsey, commander; Piers J. Sellers, mission specialist; Mark E. Kelly, pilot; European Space Agency (ESA) astronaut Thomas Reiter of Germany; and Lisa M. Nowak, both mission specialists.

Offline DSJ™

  • Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • *
  • Posts: 22365
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Space Exploration Thread
« Reply #272 on: June 30, 2006, 06:45 PM »
Big day for NASA tomorrow afternoon,  July 1, 2006 at 3:49 p.m. EDT.

Hope this all go well for NASA, Discovery & her crew.  :)

Offline Darth_Anton

  • Jedi Sentinel
  • *
  • Posts: 10236
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Space Exploration Thread
« Reply #273 on: June 30, 2006, 07:59 PM »
I had been reading that there is some internal Nasa debate about how well the foam problem was corrected. I find it inspiring that despite any debate, all the Astronauts said it's worth the risk.
Please watch my Imperial Army Time-lapse Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4aNdbwtR_g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline DSJ™

  • Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • *
  • Posts: 22365
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Space Exploration Thread
« Reply #274 on: June 30, 2006, 08:43 PM »
Dear Lord, please don't let me **** up.
I didn't quite copy that. Say again, please.
I said everything's A-OK.  [The Right Stuff]

Yeah, been reading a bit following up the the launch.

NASA safety chief won't appeal shuttle launch

NASA prepares for July 1 liftoff

Stakes are high for shuttle program

Shuttle crew faces 1-in-100 chance of dying

Could be the end of the shuttle program if things go wrong & the crew have to board the space station for a rescue. Until they can get the Atlantis up there they might have to stay that max of 30 days. Atlantis is also at risk to any damage.  :-\

Offline DSJ™

  • Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • *
  • Posts: 22365
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Space Exploration Thread
« Reply #275 on: July 1, 2006, 05:47 PM »
Launch of the shuttle was delayed do to the weather, another attempt tomorrow at 3:26 p.m. ET.

Weather delays shuttle launch

Offline Darth_Anton

  • Jedi Sentinel
  • *
  • Posts: 10236
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Space Exploration Thread
« Reply #276 on: July 1, 2006, 10:42 PM »
Caught the delay today. :(
Please watch my Imperial Army Time-lapse Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4aNdbwtR_g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline DSJ™

  • Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • *
  • Posts: 22365
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Space Exploration Thread
« Reply #277 on: July 2, 2006, 04:22 PM »
July 4th they will try again.

Weather forces NASA to scrub shuttle launch

Offline Matt_Fury

  • Jedi Master
  • *
  • Posts: 7408
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: The Official Space Exploration Thread
« Reply #278 on: July 2, 2006, 07:56 PM »
It's been kind of interesting for me lately because the class I'm currently taking for my Master's Degree is taught by a guy that works at NASA as a project manager for the life support systems on the ISS.  He's been giving us a lot of first-hand experience with the shuttle launch.
Peacekeeper, when it absolutely, positively has to be nuked in 30 minutes or less.  Or the next nuke's free!

Offline DSJ™

  • Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • *
  • Posts: 22365
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Space Exploration Thread
« Reply #279 on: July 3, 2006, 04:49 PM »
Hey that's cool Matt.  8)

Foam issues again.  :-\

Shuttle Team Working Foam Issue



Offline DSJ™

  • Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • *
  • Posts: 22365
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Space Exploration Thread
« Reply #280 on: July 3, 2006, 08:00 PM »
Large asteroid zips past Earth

This is cool, from the Astronomy Picture of the Day Archive8)



Explanation: The moons of Saturn never stop. A space traveler orbiting the ringed giant planet would witness a continuing silent dance where Saturn's multiple moons pass near each other in numerous combinations. Like a miniature Solar System, the innermost moons orbit Saturn the fastest. The above movie was centered on Saturn's moon Rhea, so that the moons Mimas and Enceladus appear to glide by. At 1,500 kilometers across, Rhea is over three times larger than the comparably sized Mimas and Enceladus. The Sun illuminates the scene from the lower right, giving all of the moons the same crescent phase. The above time lapse movie was created by the Saturn-orbiting robotic Cassini spacecraft over a period of about 40 minutes.

Offline Darth_Anton

  • Jedi Sentinel
  • *
  • Posts: 10236
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Space Exploration Thread
« Reply #281 on: July 3, 2006, 08:56 PM »
Thanks for posting that movie! I love that stuff. For kicks and giggles, can you find post that movie of the Earth rotating? It's truly awesome.
Please watch my Imperial Army Time-lapse Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4aNdbwtR_g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline DSJ™

  • Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • *
  • Posts: 22365
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Space Exploration Thread
« Reply #282 on: July 3, 2006, 09:33 PM »
A few out but mostly animated.

Rotating Earth





This one is in 3D, pretty neat.

Earth 3D

Great site too on our spaceship.

Earth Images Collection

Offline DSJ™

  • Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • *
  • Posts: 22365
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Space Exploration Thread
« Reply #283 on: July 4, 2006, 01:52 AM »
So much for the foam issue, Discovery is a go!  8)

From the nasa.gov site

Quote
Discovery's a "Go" for Independence Day

After analysis of available data, the Mission Management Team has given a "go" for Tuesday's launch of Space Shuttle Discovery to the International Space Station.

During a routine inspection Sunday night after the draining of the external fuel tank, a crack was discovered in the foam near a bracket that holds the liquid oxygen feedline in place. It is believed that the rain experienced during Sunday's launch attempt caused water to run down the feedline and form ice near the top of the strut next to the feedline bracket. As the tank warmed and expanded, the ice that formed most likely pinched the foam on the top of the strut, causing a crack and eventual loss of the small piece of foam. The Mission Management Team met Monday at 6:30 p.m. EDT to discuss the results of the information before making a final decision regarding Tuesday's launch attempt.

Extensive analysis showed that the area around the crack is intact and there is no concern for heating as there is adequate foam in place on the strut. Additional borescope inspection of the tank revealed that the bracket has no cracks.

Currently, there is a 60 percent chance of favorable launch weather for Tuesday and a 40 percent chance of favorable weather for Wednesday according to Air Force First Lt. Kaleb Nordgren of the 45th Weather Squadron. If the weather cooperates this will be the first Independence Day launch of a space shuttle!

Live Coverage
NASA TV coverage of the launch and live countdown updates from NASA's Launch Blog will begin on Tuesday, July 4, at 8:30 a.m. EDT.

Watch NASA TV

NASA's Launch Blog - Mission STS-121

Live NASA TV Video & Countdown Clock

Offline DSJ™

  • Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • *
  • Posts: 22365
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Space Exploration Thread
« Reply #284 on: July 4, 2006, 02:36 PM »
T-minus 1 minute & counting.  8)