Author Topic: The Official Space Exploration Thread  (Read 230926 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 10:41 AM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Space Exploration Thread
« Reply #871 on: September 17, 2009, 10:47 AM »
That's the first thing I said when I saw this last night and my wife looked at me with her "man I can't believe I married such a nerd look."
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: September 25, 2009, 03:29 AM »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: September 25, 2009, 10:54 AM »
Arthur C. Clark knew that.  :P
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: October 4, 2009, 03:53 AM »
The sixth man to orbit the Earth, Pavel Romanovich Popovich died Wednesday, five days before his 79th birthday. According to officials in Russia, his death came following a stroke at a hospital in Gurzuf on Ukraine's Crimean Peninsula.

Cosmonaut Pavel Popovich is shown in a still picture during his Vostok 4 mission in August 1962. Credit: Asif Siddiqi/NASA

Buzz Lightyear in front of the space shuttle Discovery after is record 468 days in space. Credit: NASA.

Buzz Lightyear floats aboard the International Space Station during his 468 day mission. Credit: NASA.

Buzz Lightyear, having returned to Earth after more than a year aboard the International Space Station, drives down Disney's Magic Kingdom Main Street USA during a ticker-tape parade in his honor. Credit: collectSPACE.com

The Soyuz TMA-16 rocket launches from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan, carrying Canadian space tourist Guy Laliberte and professional spaceflyers Jeff Williams and Maxim Suraev. Credit: NASA TV.

The Expedition 20 and 21 crewmembers gathered on the International Space Station Oct. 2 after NASA astronaut Jeff Williams, Russian cosmonaut Maxim Suraev, and Canadian space tourist Guy Laliberte arrived onboard. Credit: NASA TV.

Space Odyssey: Clown's first performance

Kennedy Space Center Begins Layoffs   :-\

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: October 7, 2009, 10:09 AM »
Saw the massive Saturn ring article. Pretty freaky. Gravity is an amazing thing.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: October 9, 2009, 02:40 AM »
Just a reminder that the LCROSS probe is set to blow the moon out of orbit at 7:31 a.m. ET friday morning.

You can watch it live on the NASA TV starting at 3:15 am PDT or 6:15 am EDT.

Image of the Centaur separation as viewed from the infrared camera.
Credit: NASA.

All said & done, it should look like this...  :D

« Last Edit: October 9, 2009, 02:43 AM by DSJ™ »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: October 9, 2009, 09:28 AM »
NASA crashes on the moon -- twice

Hopefully a video and or pics will be up for viewing.  :)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #879 on: October 9, 2009, 09:41 AM »
My wife watched it live on TV... said it was anticlimactic.  Said the news anchors just kind of looked at each other perplexed that nothing happened.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: October 9, 2009, 09:47 AM »
I was watching the live feed on the Nasa channel at work with roughly 15 mins to impact & I got called away & missed it, frickin cons.  >:(

The LCROSS mission operations team initiated power-up of the LCROSS science payload and saw this view of the moon.

The LCROSS Centaur and Spacecraft impacted the moon at approximately 4:30 a.m. PDT. Scientists are reviewing the initial data and will report what they know at a Post Impact News Conference at 7:00 a.m. PDT / 10:00 a.m. EDT on NASA TV.

Also added the the LCROSS mission was dedicated to the memory of Walter Cronkite, CBS news anchor who became the voice of NASA to the public as he covered the early days of the space program & the historic 1969 moon landing.   8)
« Last Edit: October 9, 2009, 09:52 AM by DSJ™ »

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: October 9, 2009, 11:06 AM »
My wife watched it live on TV... said it was anticlimactic.  Said the news anchors just kind of looked at each other perplexed that nothing happened.

Yeah it was pretty lame - they were trying to make a big deal out of it and all but nothing really happened.  Then a few minutes later they're playing clips from Bugs Bunny when he crashed into the moon...Pretty funny stuff. 
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: October 9, 2009, 11:23 AM »
They showed Haredevil Hare! "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an Earth Moon-shattering kaboom!"   :D

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: October 9, 2009, 12:22 PM »
I haven't been following all the stuff on this but, seriously, what did they expect?  A Michael Bay production?  At best you were going to get a puff of dirt.

I chose sleep over getting up for this.  I'll watch the NASA videos online later. 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: October 11, 2009, 07:02 AM »
After 11 years and $44 billion, the international space station may be scuttled.

Last Moments of LCROSS - NASA Probes Hit Moon

Expedition 20 Commander Gennady Padalka, Flight Engineer Michael Barratt and Canadian spaceflight participant Guy Laliberte have returned to Earth, landing on the steppe of Kazakhstan in their Soyuz TMA-14 spacecraft. Landing occurred at 12:32 a.m. EDT, 10:32 a.m. Kazakhstan time.

Padalka and Barratt stayed aboard the orbiting laboratory for 197 days. The duo arrived at the station in March to begin Expedition 19 then transitioned to the six-member Expedition 20 crew in May. Padalka commanded both Expedition crews. Laliberte launched Sept. 30 with the Expedition 21 crew and spent nine days on the station.

The three were scheduled to fly back to the Gagarin Cosmonaut Training Center in Star City, Russia outside Moscow early Sunday for reunions with their families, and for Padalka and Barratt, the start of their reorientation to a gravity environment after a half year off the planet.

Expedition 20 Flight Engineer Michael Barratt is surrounded by support personnel shortly after landing in Kazakhstan. Credit: NASA TV.