Author Topic: The Official Space Exploration Thread  (Read 230806 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Space Exploration Thread
« Reply #135 on: July 4, 2005, 01:25 AM »
In just less than 1/2 hour, Deep Impact will is scheduled to collide with Comet Tempel 1.   8)  The pictures coming back are amazing.

You can watch it live on the NASA channel.

NASA TV via the Internet

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 4, 2005, 01:58 AM »
We have Impact! 

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #137 on: July 4, 2005, 02:16 AM »
did they have footage of the impact? probably not, as I just saw pics prior to the impactor getting innudated with dust from the comet. still cool nonethless
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 4, 2005, 02:23 AM »
Yeah, just the same thing you saw. Bright flashes of light on and off from the dust then a shot of the Comet spuing it's dust from the Impact. Looks very bright like the sun coming out behind the Comet. I'm trying to find some online pics but none posted thus far. Sounds like they had the Hubbles Telescope snapping shots of this.

Chalk another on up for NASA, they hit the target right on the money.  8)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 4, 2005, 02:45 AM »
Damn site is getting hits, slowing down.  :-\

Pic before impact.

After impact.   :o

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 4, 2005, 03:02 AM »
A bigger pic of the impact.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #141 on: July 4, 2005, 03:35 AM »
I'm scared...  :-[

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 4, 2005, 03:57 AM »
So you should be!  :P

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 4, 2005, 11:18 AM »
Well if anyone has NASA TV, check out the channel, they're airing the press conference!!!! And they have a whole bunch of pics along with a Q&A section!!
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 4, 2005, 05:17 PM »
The news had a really neat animation of images showing the impact from the impactor's point of view. Hopefully, they'll learn a lot from this, to help better our understanding of how all of this happened...
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 4, 2005, 10:07 PM »
Pics from the Hubbles Telescope.   8)

Press Relese Videos

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 5, 2005, 01:37 AM »
that was pretty neat, kinda looked like a star blowing up.  i wonder what i looked like in color.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 5, 2005, 02:48 PM »
No color pics thus far.  :-\

This image shows comet Tempel 1 sixty seconds before it ran over NASA's Deep Impact probe at 10:52 p.m. Pacific time, July 3 (1:52 a.m. Eastern time, July 4). The picture was taken by the probe's impactor targeting sensor.

This image of Tempel 1 was taken by the high-resolution camera aboard Deep Impact's flyby spacecraft after the mission's impactor collided with the comet.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #148 on: July 5, 2005, 02:56 PM »
We were glued to the tube for this one the other night as well.  Absolutely mindboggling that they could nail that thing with something the size of a washing machine that far away from Earth.  Very "Hollywood-esque", for sure.  I was just praying that they wouldn't accidentally knock the think ON COURSE with the Earth, but I heard them address that later on, saying they'd taken that into consideration, and that there was no possibility of that happening, thank God.

So Dale, when do they start determining the makeup of the comet?  And are they really just going to attempt to do that solely based on photographic reference, or is the orbiter probe thingee collecting any fragments or samples as well?

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 5, 2005, 03:12 PM »
So Dale, when do they start determining the makeup of the comet?  And are they really just going to attempt to do that solely based on photographic reference, or is the orbiter probe thingee collecting any fragments or samples as well?

So far in the news:

Deep Impact craft may get second mission:

BOULDER, Colo., July 5 (UPI) -- Scientists were evaluating Tuesday whether the Deep Impact Flyby spacecraft is capable of embarking on a second comet interception.

Jubilation over Monday's successful launch of an impactor device into the comet Tempel 1 turned to cold analysis for scientists at NASA and Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corporation in Boulder, Colo., which manufactured the two-part spacecraft.

Ball Deputy Director of Programs in Civil Space Systems Monte Henderson told Space.com engineers were attempting to determine how much dust and debris from the collision hit the Flyby craft.

If little damage has been done, Henderson said the craft could be redeployed to send it on a 3.5 year cruise to Comet Boethin, which orbits the Sun every 11 years. It was discovered Jan. 4, 1975, during a routine comet-hunting scan by the late Rev. Leo Boethin of the Philippines.

Based on fuel and trajectory, the redirection would have to take place before July 24, Henderson said.

Oh this is ******* rich!  ::)

Russian astrologist sues NASA for Deep Impact.

Russian astrologist Marina Bai has filed suit in a Moscow asking for 8.7 billion rubles (311 million U.S. dollars) because,she claims, the NASA Deep Impact mission damaged her business by altering her ability to provide accurate horoscopes, harmed her "system of spiritual values," and will "interfere with the natural life of the universe."

"It is obvious that elements of the comet's orbit, and correspondingly the ephemeris, will change after the explosion, which interferes with my astrology work and distorts my horoscope," Bai was quoted in the daily newspaper, Izvestia.

NASA has refuted similar accusations by pointing out that this impact is only a new addition to many previous collisions already on the comet.

On July 4, NASA successfully crashed a probe into the Temple 1 comet in hopes the debris kicked up in the resulting explosion could shed light in the building blocks of the early solar system.

The lawsuit, originally filed in June, has not yet been scheduled for an initial hearing, according to Russian authorities.

From the Deep Impact site:

The flyby spacecraft carries two instruments for observing the impact and its effects within visible light wavelengths. There is a Medium Resolution Instrument (MRI), which produces "the big picture" of the comet and has a field of view of 0.587 degrees or about the diameter of the moon as seen from Earth. It will have a maximum predicted resolution of about 10 meters/pixel.

In addition, there is a High Resolution Instrument (HRI) to give a closer and more detailed look at the comet. It has a field of view of 0.118 degrees or one-fifth the diameter of the moon as seen from Earth. The HRI has a maximum predicted resolution of about 2 meters/pixel. Both instruments will be pointed at the impact site on the comet nucleus, recording the expansion of the impact ejecta curtain and peering inside of the freshly formed crater.

The satellite is more for pictures, I don't think it's for collecting fragment samples. Would be nice to have a little sample of dust taken and sent back to earth but you remember what happened to the Genesis probe.  :-\