Author Topic: Target Exclusive Slave 1 w/Boba Fett  (Read 25429 times)

SilverZ

Target Exclusive Slave 1 w/Boba Fett
« on: September 12, 2004, 03:31 PM »
There's a report from Florida up on the RS front page saying the OTC Slave 1 has hit Target. Time to ramp up the search once again.

edit - split the Slave 1 discussion off from the main vehicle discussion so folks could find it easier...
« Last Edit: August 4, 2005, 08:41 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Vehicle discussion/speculation!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 08:26 AM »
I was wondering if these might start showing up soon.  This is a vehicle I'm actually really looking forward to.  I don't have a "Boba Fett" version of Slave I, and it is a ship I've always wanted to get a hold of.  Hopefully they won't be too hard to come by, vehicles often times are not, but with Fett...and the recent upswing in interest in Star Wars...you never know.  Good luck in your hunts everyone.

SilverZ

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 03:14 PM »
Got mine today! They power of the DPCI# strikes hard and powerful for those who wield it wisely.

The ship is great, if just a straight repaint. Here's the kicker though - the Fett that came with it is missing both the rocket from the jetpack and his sidearm blaster. I've been searching diligently through the packaging to see if they taped them somewhere, and found nothing. Peering into my non-opener box, the Fett in there, too, looks to be missing the parts. You cheap losers, Hasbro.  >:(

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 03:22 PM »
Congrats on the find Tydirium.  Hopefully these will start showing up en masse more so now with the DVD release.  This is a ship that...although it is a repaint...I'm really looking forward to.  Strange about the missing rocket/gun, and a cheap out again.  By the way, what are these running...about $30-ish?

SilverZ

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2004, 03:31 PM »
Yep, 29.99.

Hopefully someone will chime in to confirm if the missing parts issue is widespread.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 11:19 PM »
Picked up a Slave 1 tonight at Target ($29.99)!    ;D

Indeed, from all the ones they had, Fett was missing his sidearm and rocket (just an empty holster and peghole for the rocket).

It seems to be a wide-spread cheap out on Hasbro's part as they are ALL coming in with missing parts...

Jeff
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 11:50 PM by Nataku »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2004, 11:44 PM »
That's funny...  :)  That's seriously a miniscule drop in cost-cutting to make, and yet it's a vehicle full price (more or less) is charged for it yet it's not something that required major increases in cost to produce.

I'm glad I cut vehicles out of my regular purchases...  Hasbro's so much miss with very little hit.  They rarely put a solid product out int he vehicle line to me, so they were something I just felt compelled to give up on.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2004, 05:09 PM »
Well, Hasbro has confirmed that they left out the sidearm and missile as an error, it was not Target who took the missiles out.

I decided that, since I was one of those who got a missile-less Fett, I'd Send Hasbro an e-mail to their customer service.  I asked them about the missing parts and if they would offer a replacement since they admitted on the site it was their error...

Here is their response:
Hi Jeff,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know that pieces were missing when you received your Hasbro product. 

Please allow us to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced because the parts were not included.

We will be happy to ship the parts to you at no additional charge.  They will be sent, under separate cover, to the address you provided.  Shipping will be done as quickly as possible.

:o Woo-Hoo!

If you've got a missile-less Fett, maybe you want to send them an e-mail?

Jeff

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004, 05:23 PM »
Cool.

I was figuring that Hasbro's response the other day is probably the reason all the Targets out here haven't put the Slave 1's out on the shelves, even though they've been in stock for almost two months now...

Now the question is, do I want to keep the "missle-less" Fett as my packaged version of this ship, or replace it with the corrected Fett version.  Hmm...  I'll probably have to stick with the error version, since that's apparently going to be the rarer of the two.  I absolutely REFUSE to have two packaged specimens of this ship though, error and corrected.  No!

But I will drop them an e-mail to see about getting a missle to go with my opener set.  Good deal.  Thanks for the head's up Jeff!

SilverZ

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2004, 06:29 PM »
  Woo-Hoo!

If you've got a missile-less Fett, maybe you want to send them an e-mail?

Nice work, that's excellent news. I was wondering if their post was going to open up that chance of a replacement. I don't think I'll bother on mine, though, since I have plenty of that Fett and it's not really a big deal on my opened one.

Now the question is, do I want to keep the "missle-less" Fett as my packaged version of this ship, or replace it with the corrected Fett version.

Matt, if you end up keeping both you've gone down a pretty damn hardcore road.  :) I want the correct version. I really don't like classifying errors as unique collectibles, and my take on this one is the missing part detracts from the presentation inside the package. So if I ever (yeah, right) see a corrected Slave1 sitting on the shelf, I'll pick it up and swap it with my error version, and return it.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2004, 06:46 PM »
Matt, if you end up keeping both you've gone down a pretty damn hardcore road.  :) I want the correct version. I really don't like classifying errors as unique collectibles, and my take on this one is the missing part detracts from the presentation inside the package. So if I ever (yeah, right) see a corrected Slave1 sitting on the shelf, I'll pick it up and swap it with my error version, and return it.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...  I know.   :-[  But I feel the same way in that I'd prefer to have a more complete/correct looking product, but at the same time, I like to have the rarer item when I have the choice of picking between two.  With figures, I just do both - no problem.  But a $30 ship is an entirely different story, not to mention the space those things take up.  Ugh.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 06:54 PM by JediMAC »

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
The Slave I/Boba Fett jetpack missle debacle
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2004, 09:56 AM »
You can count me among the people who got a Slave I without the missle in Fett's jetpack as well.  However, even after going through the entire email contact thing with Hasbro, I'm in an even worse spot than I was when I started.  Here's the story:

-Two weeks ago this Friday, I walked into my local Target and they had finally stocked the Slave I, eight total.  Since Hasbro had given their statement that only a "small number" had made it out without the missle, the "correct" version would be in relative abundance with the next shipment, I assumed that this would be the correct version.  My Target had not gotten their shipment until that day (the employees at this Target were friendly enough to check in the back during the print ad a week or so prior and said, with confusion, that they didn't have any back there yet), so when I checked all eight Slave I's, I was a little surprised to see that none of them had the missle.  I went ahead and bought one, figuring I could contact the fine people at Hasbro to get a replacement part. 

-So, immediately upon getting home, I went to Hasbro's website.  Before I go on, the thing is horribly difficult to navigate, and requires you sign up for an account before you can even send a question/complaint/etc, which I'm not too fond of at all.  But, I went ahead and did so, and sent my email, which was professionally worded and I received a reply the following Monday that said:

Thank you for taking the time to let us know that a piece was missing when you received your Hasbro product.

Please allow us to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced because the part was not included.

Your satisfaction is of paramount importance to us. We will be happy to ship the part to you at no additional charge. It will be sent, under separate cover, to the address you provided. Shipping will be done as quickly as possible.

Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention. We hope you and your family will enjoy our products for many years to come.

-So, this Monday, my mother called me to let me know that I had gotten a letter from Hasbro.  While I don't have the letter in front of me, she read it word for word to me, and this is pretty much what they said (paraphrased):

We regret to inform you that the replacement piece you requested is no longer available.  Our apologies and we hope that you will continue to enjoy our products for many years to come.

So, translating that into Hasbro Rep at SDCC type-speak:

We're Hasbro, we don't make mistakes.  **** you and deal with it.

So yeah, with the widespread reports that nobody has really found an OTC Slave I that actually had the jetpack missle, and the fact that Hasbro is now denying that they even have the replacement part to send out, I am doubting that I'm even going to see the thing without going to the secondary market and hopefully finding a loose piece cheap somewhere.

I'd also like to point out that this is not an isolated incident either.  I called them in January of 2000 when my AAT had two left guns and no right guns.  They said that they no longer had any parts for that item (it had just come out at retail and shipped for at least another two months, albeit sparingly) and to check  back later.  When it was announced for the CW line, I called back and they said they had no idea what item I was talking about and that if I wanted a replacement gun, I would have to buy a completely new tank in the CW package since the old one was out of production.  When I mentioned that it was the exact same toy in a new box, the person just kind of did a verbal shrug (the "idunno" noise, if that makes sense) and said "is there anything else?" and hung up.

So yeah, thanks a lot Hasbro.  Way to keep your loyal customers happy. ::)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2004, 10:52 AM »
Well this is certainly disappointing!  After all of the reports on various sites that Hasbro was going to "do the right thing" and send the missing piece to everyone, I was originally very impressed by their efforts.  But now they've completely done a 180 turn on this effort.  Piss poor move, Hasbro.

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2004, 05:19 PM »
Is OTC Slave 1 a re-paint of Jangos’ Slave 1? I figure it must be, but just want to make sure so if I pick it up, it won’t be the old 80’s mold.
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2004, 04:26 PM »
Is OTC Slave 1 a re-paint of Jangos’ Slave 1? I figure it must be, but just want to make sure so if I pick it up, it won’t be the old 80’s mold.

It uses the Jango Slave 1 as it's base, but it is a bit different from that one, too.

A few difference I can think of off the top of my head:
1.  The "space mine" launcher and hole are gone, still has the 4-missile launcher and trap door though.
2.  Also, the guns and tail of the ship have been changed a bit.

Definately NOT a rehashed version of the 80s mold though.

Jeff