Author Topic: New JD Review: Ki-Adi Mundi (Jedi Master)  (Read 3379 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
New JD Review: Ki-Adi Mundi (Jedi Master)
« on: August 5, 2005, 12:07 AM »
Beldar Conehead he is not...  This guy doesn't need to claim he's "from France" to stay incognito.  This go-round in reviews I take an up-close and personal look at famed Jedi Master Ki-Adi Mundi!

What can I say?  I love Episode 3's line of incredible Collection 2 Jedi Knight figures.  Hasbro knocked out some of the best work they've done in the entire line.  Even the Jedi's "weak" points tend to be minor compared to their finer qualities.

Ki-Adi probably is the best though, as it is a MAJOR improvement on his previous 2 versions.  Let's face it, E1 and E2's Ki-Adi's were weak attempts at the master, and that's being rather forgiving.  I mean, the Saga figure was pretty much a big "F-You!" from Hasbro with it being 90% re-used parts and a better paintjob.  The closest to decent we got was his half-assed version in the Jedi Council sets, which was still a weak figure.

Not ROTS's figure though...  This time Ki-Adi's got articulation out the wazoo, softgoods robe that is incredible quality and fits him well, a removable belt, a saber you can hook to his belt...  Oh yeah, and a ton of articulation that deserves a double mention.

He has a few minor quibbles but needless to say I liked him.  Check out the FULL REVIEW Right Here, and as always come share your thoughts with us.

At this stage I think he's my favorite Jedi figure though, and with his competition out this year that says a ton.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: New JD Review: Ki-Adi Mundi (Jedi Master)
« Reply #1 on: August 5, 2005, 12:50 AM »
Great review Jesse!

I love this figure and I was glad to see I wasn't alone in my appreciation of a really nice Jedi figure!

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #2 on: August 5, 2005, 01:10 AM »
One of the best reviews yet.

I second the motion, in fact without really realizing it, he's one of the few figs over the years I actually got an extra one of.  I think, just looked for it tonight and can't seem to find it. I'm a softgoods fan too. and I too reeeeeaaally like the saber/belt attachment.

Oh well.
Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: August 5, 2005, 04:04 AM »
Thanks everyone...

Yeah, Ki-Adi's one of those times ya wanna pat the Hasbro guys on the back for a job well done (while taking a moment to whisper in their ear that this is how they should do damn near ever figure!).

Ki's robe is probably one of my favorite features.  I love having him with the hood up over his cone-head.  It's great looking.  I picture him making battle-plans on Mygeeto with the Snowclones and Bacara...  Sweeeeeeeet.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline TheBlackDog

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 9, 2005, 11:59 AM »
I have to agree that I also bought two of him and I love this figure. Finally, the figure we should have had in Ep. I.
Ki and Agen are well done, and I actually bought 2 extra of Agen, one to fix a problem with the first one I bought with the lightsaber and handle, and then another to follow Chewie's example and make a great Ep. III Mace.
" . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 01:41 AM »
The Collection 2 Jedi in general were pretty great...  at least till Zet Jukassa. 

Agen and Ki-Adi Mundi were probably the tops though in my view...  I'd definitely add Kit Fisto to that list though as well.  He's probably the best "generic" looking one out of the group as far as outfits go.  Agen's close, but I did have trouble with his arm's poseability while Kit Fisto was just fan-frickin' tastic for any pose.

Pilot Obi-Wan's blowing them all away judging by the pics I see, but Collection 2 was just some of the best Jedi figures.  I still call them the "Apologies" from Hasbro. :)  Profuse "sorry" with every figure for it's inevitably ****** version that came out in Saga's run.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 08:17 PM »
Another great review Jesse, very thorough.

I agree that the New Ki Adi figure is awesome, but I really don't have too many gripes about the Episode 1 version either.  I don't think you can compare the quality of an Episode 1 figure to what we're getting today and say it's of poorer quality.  6 years ago, most SW figures only came with the standard 6-point articulation.  I thought his sculpt was good and his comm-tech chip actually sounded like the character!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 01:23 AM »
Figures I review don't really have their past version come into play on my ultimate judgment of whether I like it or not...  The only way it creeps in is when a figure I review now is just so better than a previous version that you can just basically toss that old one in the fodder bin if you wanted...  I think that's the case with Ki-Adi actually, where his past versions just don't stack up at all.

Comparing things like sculpt and whatnot are all fair comparisons though...  Articulation though?  Well, it depends.  My point of view in 1999 was that Hasbro could've done better on articulation across the board, they were just too cheap to make the toy line competitive.  Jump to 2005 and Hasbro's made a lot of efforts to make Star Wars match up to anything else in the action figure aisle...  They upped the anty.  I think they've alwyas been capable of this, they just chose not to, so to that end I believe a comparison is valid...

That said, I don't really let a past figure alter my opinion too much one way or the other.  If a figure's good then it gets positive marks from me...  If not, then I slam it.  The Wookiee Warrior's better though, arguably, than Mechanic Chewbacca...  I'd rather have Chewie Mechanic on my shelf than the Wookiee Warrior (the basic release one, not preview) which I really dislike overall.  Comparisons can be made, but I've found that I tend to look at the figure as it is alone rather than let anything else influence me.

The articulation on Ki-Adi's what I like though, and it just happens that it makes me look at those past Ki-Adi's and laugh a bit.