Author Topic: BBI/Dragon custom w/pics  (Read 6059 times)

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
BBI/Dragon custom w/pics
« on: August 5, 2005, 11:21 PM »
I'm working on a custom military figure and before I get too far into it I want to check on something.

For you 12" guys, are Dragon and BBI figures the same? I can't seem to figure this out. I've guessed that they are different figures. However, if they are different, will the Dragon accessories work on BBI and vice versa?

I know they are all in the same scale (which someone at RS was kind enough to point out to me)  ::) but are the accessories, such as hands, helmets, assault vests, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 06:30 PM by Chris M »
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: BBI/Dragon similarity issue
« Reply #1 on: August 5, 2005, 11:35 PM »
They're all 1:6 scale of course, as you know...  I've never seen a BBI 12" figure opened to really compare it much to my Dragon figures...  I believe, but don't quote me, that Dragon's a substantially higher quality than BBI, but BBI's higher quality than 21st Century Toys... 

I'd say if you were comparing, Dragon and Sideshow are probably more comparable in quality overall.

As far as accessories, I'm assuming you mean do the hands of a BBI figure fit a Dragon figure?  I can't be 100% sure but I would think that they would.  Again though, I'm just not terribly sure.  :-\  Gear like clothes, helmets, etc...  That all is universal generally.  Dragon gear should fit a Sideshow figure, or BBI, or 21st...  I've never run into problems interchanging gear like that.  The hands issue though,t hat could pose a problem for ya Chris...  Though in general they're similar constructions, at least at the wrists.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 5, 2005, 11:41 PM »
Thanks JJ.  That was what I was thinking but before I go off and start picking up gear, I wanted to make sure I didn't screw myself out of money because the equipment didn't jive.

FWIW, I'm making an USAF Security Forces soldier from Iraq.  It's what I did when I was in the AF.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: August 6, 2005, 12:05 AM »
Could always just try picking up a piece of gear, just one, test it out to make sure... 

Also, there's a company called Cotswold Collectibles that specializes in custom 12" gear that I think's pretty universal.  The USAF secrity wear like red berets, right?  Or am I mistaken?  Anyway, maybe could find a nice cloth one or something...  See if they're more up your alley.  They may do better on price, but I don't know about quality.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 6, 2005, 12:09 AM »
Actually, they were navy berets.  I'm  not doing a beret thought, probably a helment and goggles.

I've also been looking at Optoys and from a 12" seller on eBay with some good stuff.

Embrace the suck.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 7, 2005, 08:23 PM »
It really depends on when the figure was made.

Early Dragon figures had very "Clean" faces.....the first set of BBI Figures had Gritty Faces...and depeneding on where the character was supposed to be sometimes OVERLY shaded/shadowed faces.

Later Dragon began to add some "texture" to their faces, but never went "too far" with the make-up so to speak.  While I have a few BBI's that I wonder if they are perhaps 1940's drag queens....

The problem I ran into was that the faces would be detailed, but the hands/arms/necks would just be flesh colored plastic...making it look like his face got dirty but nothing else.

And there is a debate as to who is the top dog, Dragon or BBI, I'd say Dragon, but I have several Kit Bashed WWII Paratroopers wearing gear and uniforms from both companies, but all my Soldiers are Dragons, for continuity of head sculpts.

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #6 on: August 7, 2005, 08:51 PM »
Are the 12" BBi figures that they sell at Toys R Us articulated?  I know the 1:18 scale figures are great, but I'm skeptical about the 12" figures - do they have the "double elbow" joints (ala Marvel Legends)?  I would like to pick one up if they have a decent amount of articulation (more than the current 12" Star Wars figures), however I have never seen an open one to check it out.

Chris M - that sounds like a cool custom, I can't wait to see it!
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 8, 2005, 07:20 AM »
Just an update.  Going through eBay I picked up a Dragon figure.  Then using Optoys I picked up Dragon gloved hands and a couple of Dragon uniform parts.  Then going back to eBay, I picked up some Dragon body armor, a Dragon M4, and a BBI helmet clip mike and radio.

I'm going to wait for all this to show and then see how it fits together.  I've managed to get a figure through a trade here and it's in the 12" scale so I'm going to use it first and see if the equipment fits.  If it does, then back to ebay the DML figure goes.

Embrace the suck.

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 8, 2005, 07:47 PM »
I'd like to see this guy when you're done. ;D

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 9, 2005, 07:26 AM »
Will do Derek.  I'm anxiously awaiting more parts this week.

Embrace the suck.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 04:32 PM »
Just an update because a few people mentioned some interest in my figure.

I've ordered through OpsToys and eBay some good stuff.  I've got an M4 w/tac light, boots, gloves, uniform, radio, a couple of mag pouches, 1 grenade pouch, and an assault vest/flak vest combo.

I'm waiting for my pistol and drop down holster to show, along with the helmet and goggles from ebay.  After that, I still need to order a few magazines to stuff in the pouches, a camel back, and a couple of grenades with pouches.  Then, kneepads and I should be finished.  I may add a day pack (ruck), but probably not.  My figure may even get a cool pair of shades, but we'll have to wait and see.

I may replace the tac light w/ foregrip in favor of a 203 launcher.  If I do that though, then I'll have to add a bandolier or more pouches for the 40mm grenades.  We'll see on that one though.

Unfortunately Derek, the figure and equipment you sent me didn't fit right with the other stuff I had. :'(
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 04:33 PM by Chris M »

Embrace the suck.

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2005, 05:19 PM »
Unfortunately Derek, the figure and equipment you sent me didn't fit right with the other stuff I had. :'(

Sorry it didn't work out. :( Hope the fig is useful for something...

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 7, 2005, 06:51 AM »
FWIW, last night my last few pieces for my figure arrived and after playing around for a bit to get a couple of pouches on, my figure is complete.

I'll try and post a few pics tonight when I get home.

Embrace the suck.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2005, 09:47 AM »
Obviously it's been a bit longer than "tonight" posting pics.  But I've finally taken them off the camera and into the comp.  Here are four pics of my OIF USAF Security Forces soldier.

I can't seem to get the image tags working for whatever reason.

Edit:  I think I fixed an image tag for you (if this is what you meant).  I just copied/pasted the link for your first picture and highlighted the link in my edit, then I clicked the image tag in our forum toolbar:

And there ya have it. :)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 06:49 AM by Chris M »

Embrace the suck.

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: BBI/Dragon custom w/pics
« Reply #14 on: December 7, 2005, 02:05 PM »
That looks cool, Chris. How much customizing was involved?