Author Topic: New JD Review: Palpatine (Lightsaber Attack)  (Read 4377 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
New JD Review: Palpatine (Lightsaber Attack)
« on: August 11, 2005, 01:48 AM »
You know him, and you love him...  The TRUE star of Episode III...  The one, the only...  Palpatine (Lightsaber Attack)!

OK, yeah that intro was a bit much...  I dig the old coot though, and thought he was the highlight of Revenge of the Sith.  Unfortunately though, it looks like I'm gonna be waiting a while for a red-robed Palpatine that I really can dig.

This figure's static, "salt-shaker" sculpt and his unfortunate habit of falling over are just kind of disappointing.  This is one Hasbro may not be itnerested in touching though, as what I want is a nicely articulated Palpatine (ala his early ROTS figure in his robes he wore on Grievous' ship), with maybe some cool shiney softgoods robes...  Something that can kick some Jedi ass, hold a saber, and maybe features these interchangeable head/hands that this Palpatine has?

I'd dig seeing those, as they're a great feature for the character.

By all means though, Read the Full Review Right Here, and share your thoughts.

This figure's just not one I was real big on after I got him home and opened the packaging...  I have visions of how this guy could've been done in Collection 2 though and they are grand.  Hopefully he's revisited by Hasbro sometime.  Some Evolutions style figure would be much appreciated for this Palpatine.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: New JD Review: Palpatine (Lightsaber Attack)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 02:01 AM »
Jesse, great review and I have to agree 100% on the modeld lightsaber . . . besides being the wrong one, this feature or lack thereof ruined this figure for me. I also hate that he is a glob of plastic. Again, I love soft goods and know from the old Princess Leia on Bespin 2 pack that Hasbro could do his robes, give him the right saber, and bump up his articulation. Perhaps someday Hasbro will do a single figure of Palp in his red robes that blows us away! I can only hope they do and that I am still collecting!
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 02:42 AM »
nope, disagree-think he's completely awesome
The lightsaber flaw is a natural representing glitch of our human race and has to be loved(appreciated).

nothing wrong with this one at all 8)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 05:07 AM »
Glitch perhaps, but loved?  Hmmm, when factoring in how I view figures I have to think accuracy outweighs sentimentality towards a goof-up...  Sure things happen though, and there's a number of things that are unavoidable when you're dealing with an unfinished film.  The Red Commander's a figure I actually love and he's not in the film...  it's easier to dig EU/Fan-Fic kind of ideas like the Red Commander though, while Palpatine is simply inaccurate and it's kind of tough to rationalize the figure, unlike the Commander.

Everyone's got their definition of greatness though...  My biggest gripe is the figure's so "Collection 1" in nature...  Fairly simplistic overall, limited articulation, and I really dislike "Salt Shaker" figures these days....  The feature's not really inspiring at all either so it feels to me like we still have a hole for a figure that we actually have 2 versions of right now...  One can always dream of that Collection 2 resculpt someday.

Palpatine is pretty important in that red robe...  It's a figure I could see them revisiting at some point at least for those of us who didn't care for him.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 02:27 PM »
Agreed, the clone commander is my fav. fig so far in this wave, Coming in close second is the ATRT driver-love the articulation and poseability!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 01:22 AM »
I have NOT picked him up yet (The RT Driver) since he's not really shown in Pittsburgh on any great level, but he looks fantastic.  The big cannon looks ridiculous but his small accurately sculpted gun is all you could ask for to replace that big bazooka he has.

The articulation in pictures just looks great.  I was expecting a figure with a substantial decrease in articulation after getting Bacara...  I thought Hasbro was on a downswing but hopefully they're going to still impress us judging by the RT Driver and his casemates.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 03:10 PM »
Yeah, since I don't like to"guess or assume" I gonna say you're gonna have it (ATRT driver) at the top likeable range of figs in this collection. If the cannon is your only drawback then you'll still have it up there ..I've seen you're reviews and even though you're fairly accurate-I still think you'll go with it. I'm no expert reviewer-but I'll say the cannon looks good in poseability-it's major drawback for me was getting it set up was the trick. Just tell me I'm wrong if you hate it. But I'd give it above an 8 at least.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 06:54 PM »
Another nice thorough review Jesse.  I just can't believe you opened one with a BLUE SABER!  :o
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 03:34 AM »
Another nice thorough review Jesse.  I just can't believe you opened one with a BLUE SABER!  :o

I saw 3 Blue Sabered Palpy's at MM, but I passed on him because I thought it was stupid that his saber was blue, and figured there'd be tons more later. :P :'(

Jesse I would also like to say good job on another insigtful review. I really enjoy reading these. :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 03:35 AM by Sith Lord Chaos »
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2005, 01:30 AM »
Hehe, thanks guys. :)

I appreciate the feedback and it is nice knowing they're getting a read-through from the forum members.  Makes the work worth it.

A little note about your post Matt...  I didn't open a blue-saber, actually.  I don't own a cam, so there's actually a little trick there in that my sample has the proper red-color (still wrong handle though of course) Saber.  Jared, Jeff, Jesse and Scott (And Dave too I think?) are all people who've taken pictures for the reviews in the past.  I'm a po' boy so I don't have a camera. ;)  It's a coordinated effort.  Funny you caught the saber difference.  I didn't till the end and figured it didn't make much difference but I likely would've critiqued the saber color along with the hilt otherwise, but it wouldn't have altered my final opinion of course.

Thanks guys!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2005, 07:25 AM »
Great review! I don't think it's possible to add to other than the fact that I agree with it. ;)
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2005, 02:19 AM »
Thanks Anton...  Glad you liked it.  Anything ya think you want to add at any time, you're welcome to.  Even if it agrees.   ;D

More reviews coming as we get them together!