Author Topic: New Figs totally destroyed  (Read 4190 times)

Offline Depmode

• Jedi Initiate
  • Utinni!
    • View Profile
New Figs totally destroyed
« on: April 4, 2003, 04:07 PM »
Has anyone noticed that the majority of the new product getting out on the shelfs is totally beat up? I'm not kidding, at least a third of the new figs (imperial, rebel, padme, teebo, eeth koth, library droids, lama su, obi acklay, and dooku) are completely beat to hell. It hasn't been one store either. I travel with my job, and I stop at different stores all over the east coast, and it is something I have really noticed, and It has got me seriously wondering. I still do not have a Dartyh Tyranus because everytime I have seen him it looks like someone did the mexican hat dance on him. Anyone else notice this? Surely it has to be an issue with hasbro packing them or something? If I ever find someone intentionally damaging new figures his ass will be grass, that's for sure.
James
DepmodeETS@aol.com
AIM: DepmodeETS
My lego collection: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Depmode

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
Re: New Figs totally destroyed
« Reply #1 on: April 4, 2003, 09:00 PM »
Maybe Card Bender has a franchise now.

I know what you mean. I noticed the same thing here but thought it might be isolated. Maybe the cases have been literally kicking around in storage for so long, they're getting to the pegs in far less than ship shape.
Post sober.

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #2 on: April 4, 2003, 09:06 PM »
When I have ordered a case with my nephew I noticed that the figures are packed in really tight. So when you try to pull them out you need to really grasp onto them pretty hard and yank them out. So yeah, the way the new figures are being packed make it pretty hard for a carded collector to get a minty fresh figure.

It will be very, very, very, very for you to get a very clean and pretty card.
Good Luck though.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: April 4, 2003, 09:14 PM »
I've noticed in general that the Saga cards are of poorer quality than the POTJ cards were

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: April 4, 2003, 09:33 PM »
I agree! The Saga cards are much worse than the POTJ figures. It was SO much easier to find mint POTJ than the new Saga. Just tonight I passed on some older figures because they were in poor shape.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 4, 2003, 11:00 PM »
I'm so glad I don't collect figures to keep carded anymore.  This is one headache I don't miss.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 4, 2003, 11:15 PM »
Interesting to hear this.  I got a bunch of stuff from Scott that was ok, but not mint.  No biggee, I'll open them all anyway (except maybe Boba).  

But...  I have trades with a couple of guys from the McFarlane board (perhaps the most anal group with respect to package condition) and everyone has asked if damaged cards are ok in trade.  Little bends, dings, scratches, nothing major but it seems like everywhere it is tough to find stuff.  

Locally I picked up a fig for a guy in Japan and I'll be sending him pics before I send the fig, just to be sure.  

Odd.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: April 4, 2003, 11:20 PM »
Brent those were the best ones as a matter of fact...Saga cards have been nowhere near as good as the POTJ figs were.

I'm with Nicklab and David, I am so glad I open my stuff

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 5, 2003, 12:10 AM »
I haven't opened a case in a while.  Are they still putting the tissue paper in between each card/bubble?

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: April 5, 2003, 12:15 AM »
Yes...but the quality on almost all cards has been sucky.  Newforce even had some of there cases on two shipments come in crushed

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 5, 2003, 12:24 AM »
A lot of times, when cartons get crushed, it's the guys in the truck that are responsible.  When I used to work at a loading dock, I saw more than my fair share of truckers stand on cartons to get to stuff that's high-up in the truck.  I guess they're unaware.  Should we petition the teamsters, LOL?

Feedback

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #11 on: April 5, 2003, 02:43 AM »
I joined the "one of every figure" club at Kebco Toys, and I got my first shipment in just two days ago.  Out of 6 figures 3 were damaged pretty badly.  I wrote them and they're going to be sending me out 3 replacements, and I'll be able to keep the ones I currently have!  Pretty sweet if you ask me.  They told me that almost all of their shipments from Hasbro are coming in damaged condition.  Not a good sign.
dustrho

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: April 5, 2003, 04:08 AM »
I just made a trade where I shipped off almost all of my MOMC 2003 Saga figures (wanted the trade badly).  Unfortunately, those were the only mint cards I'd ever come across in the bunches of new figures I've seen lately.  Now I'm mildly concerned I won't be able to replace them, as most of the Saga figures I've seen lately are dinged up pretty seriously in some manner or another.  It's odd, 'cause it doesn't seem like the card itself is weaker than the POTJ cardback, so it must be a case packaging issue like you guys have already mentioned.

Getting frustrating though.  Especially when 90% of the folks that I trade with only want MOMC.  Ugh...

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 5, 2003, 05:24 AM »
Yes, it's very hard to find MOMC like myself. I have had to look through many pegged cards to find a good one. Bubbles crushed & cards that are bent & creased, even the tags are ripped off. This may be do to people lookig through the pegged cards by flipping through them & resulting in damaging them in the process.

Then there are the ones that just damage the cards with no respect to other collectors. They find what they want & damage a few just to piss you off.

Too me the Saga cards feel the same as the POTJ cards. It could be case packing like Matt mentioned.

I remember when the Saga X-Wing came out & there were none on the shelves. I ask if they had anymore & they brought a sealed case out from the back. I opened the case carefully & only one was in good condition. They were packed so tight that I almost had to cut the sides of the case to get it out. They were only protected by a thin piece of tissue paper rapped around them.

As far as I know, they are still using tissue paper for packing. I've seen it in the new cases coming in.  

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 6, 2003, 10:13 PM »
I have noticed a few smashed out on the west coast but for the most part the cards I have found have been in NM-MOMC.  About the same condition as 02 SAGA Figures.