Author Topic: !! Man This Is A Sucky Thing!!  (Read 2370 times)

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
!! Man This Is A Sucky Thing!!
« on: April 4, 2003, 09:13 PM »
Today I got a call from my credit card company asking me why I have charged so much in the past two days. I was like what!?! I have not used my charge card except for a few things that I have on order from a few on-line stores. (New waves of figs, pre-sells, ect. Less than a $200.00 of stuff)

Apparently my card has been maxed out to the $10,000 limit. I asked how could this be when I have less than $100.00 charged up. They show in the past two days my card has been charged on many occasions. So now my card has been canceled and now I am going through th process of fighting the charges. That means the few things I have on order are now invalid.  >:(That just ticks me off to no end. I do not know how anyone could of got my credit number and use it in stores or on-line.)

So now there is going to be an investigation and I am going to press full charges on the person or persons who has done this to me if and when they are caught. It is not like I am going through a lot of stress as it is.
This is my one and only credit card also. So now I have no card to use to buy toys on-line and whatnot.

Oh man I am mad. I just need to vent.

Has anyone dealt with this kind of situation before?

Any advice would be greatly respected.
« Last Edit: April 4, 2003, 09:19 PM by Boba Binks »
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: !! Man This Is A Sucky Thing!!
« Reply #1 on: April 4, 2003, 09:20 PM »
Holy Crap that sucks David!

I have never had that happen but is something I often worry about.  I suppose it could be from an e-tailer.  Or else someone caught something while you were ordering...

You never used it anywhere else?

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 4, 2003, 09:50 PM »
I always fear this as well. That's why I have signed up on the websites of all my credit cards, and check the charges daily, and take a close look to see if there is a sudden change in the balance.

Hope it gets taken care of!
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 4, 2003, 10:54 PM »
I have two credit cards.  One for my real life and one that is used for paypal and online purchases only.  The latter has a $1000 balance and instructions that it is to go no higher.  Ever.  Limits my liability and the shock value too.

I am very sorry this happened to you.  I have had  "irregular" charges on my card previously.  I don't know what it is like where you are, but in Canada the onus is on the retailer to provide proof of purchase by that user.  Of course, if all charges are online, that could make it tough.  If they were regular fraudulent charges, the sig should tell the story right off.  

Good luck.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: April 5, 2003, 03:14 AM »
Sorry to hear that David.   >:(  That really sucks, especially with no back-up credit card to use in it's place.

I've had this happen several times to me (though not for as much $).  Once I had about a $500 dollar charge pop up out of Texas on my card.  My credit card company thought it looked suspicious and immediately called me.  Fought that charge and won easily.  Had a couple other smaller charges pop up as well, both of which got reversed fairly quickly too, with the proper letter of objection from me, and all that.  Odd though that your credit card company didn't call you any sooner.  Bad fraud protection department if you asked me!  They're usually really on top of that kind of stuff!

I'm like Adam - I've got my several accounts online, and check the balances and transactions every day to make sure nothing fishy's going on.  I'd recommend it...

Funny story, to lighten the mood just a little - I had my credit card account frozen at the Ep. 2 Midnight Madness event!   :P  Charged about $500 the first time through the registers at about 1am in the morning with a huge cart full of Saga stuff.  After unloading the loot in my car, I went back in for a second go round.  Tried to buy another $300 worth of swag, when they told me my card was declined - to my absolute shock (with nearly $10,000 in room still on it).  Basically my first purchase caused their alarms to go off, and they thought it was a fraudulent charge and froze my account.  Frustrating, but kinda funny, and actually nice to know they were keeping an eye on things so closely!  Fortunately I had another credit card on me and just used that instead...   :)

Good luck with your ordeal David.  I'm sure it'll all work out once you go through the proper channels to refute the charges.  Might take a couple months though...

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 5, 2003, 06:01 AM »
Ouch! That sounds suspicious to have that amount racked up in a few days. Looks like a con artist somehow got ahold of your CC number. They may have gotten ahold of it by going through your mail or garbage when paper work is thrown out.

Check to see if it was online purchaces or direct at any stores. Be carefull with online purchaces as they can get the number by hacking. If it was at a store, have them provide a copy of the signature.
Thieves are crafty as I should know.  ;)

Best of luck getting it all sorted out David.

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #6 on: April 5, 2003, 10:33 AM »
I hope this will be an easy thing to get over and done with. If not I am screwed.

I was told that on Monday to call an 1-800 number to talk to someone at the credit company and see if they can sort this out. I am sure since they called me first that they are looking into this right now.

I have a feeling it is on-line purchases because I shred all my paper work before I throw it out. If someone wanted to piece back the pages I guess they could.

I hope it does not take months to get things straightened out. If it does I need to start looking for a new creidt card.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com