Author Topic: Post NJO books--The Dark Nest Trilogy  (Read 4069 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Post NJO books--The Dark Nest Trilogy
« on: August 16, 2005, 06:05 PM »
I know I read an article that new books were going to come out and would take place after the NJO series.  Anyone have a list of titles?  Or a link perhaps?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 07:00 PM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
Re: Post NJO books
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 02:38 AM »
I know I read an article that new books were going to come out and would take place after the NJO series.  Anyone have a list of titles?  Or a link perhaps?

The newest series of books out in the post-NJO era is called the "Dark Nest" trilogy. I'm currently reading Dark Nest 1: The Joiner King from Troy Denning, which came out at the end of July. It's a good read so far, it elaborates heavily on the change in philosophy the Jedi have at the end of the Vong war. And without giving spoilers, it is making me appreciate Jacen Solo's character.

Here's an article on SW.com about the first book, be careful though it may have some spoilage...

http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/novel/f20050809/

The part 2 of the trilogy is due in October, with part 3 out in December.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 02:22 AM »
The book is enjoyable, once it gets going about 1/2 through the book. There were a few things I find "weird" and wonder where the story line/character line is going with it, but it was a good book overall. I would rate it a 7.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 2, 2005, 11:54 AM »
I finfished Dark Nest I: The Joiner King the other day and I thought it was pretty good.  I'm curious to see where they're going with the rest of the story, especially the part with R2's memory chip.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #4 on: September 5, 2005, 02:19 AM »
There is also the "Legacy" series which takes place sometime after Dark Nest. It will be comprised of 9 books, 3 each by Karen Traviss, Aaron Allston, and Troy Denning, alternating.

Book #1: Betrayal -- Aaron Allston -- hardcover
Book #2: Bloodlines -- Karen Traviss -- paperback

That's all I remember offhand. I think the idea is that each author will do one hardcover and two paperbacks.

You can find out more about all of these things in the StarWars.com Books, Comics, and TV forum, which includes various threads on the post-NJO books. I'm too lazy to link individually, but most of them are on the first couple pages.

We'd love to have you join any of the discussions, but for the love of God, before you post a new thread, read the FAQ and check the Thread Directory cuz chances are there's already a thread on it. Thanks! (Not trying to scare you away or anything, but we like to keep things organized and the mods run a pretty tight ship.)
« Last Edit: September 5, 2005, 02:26 AM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 06:08 AM »
Okay, went to the link and I have to list a HUGE gripe with anything on SW.com lately. The advertisment comes up with the close button, and the pop up won't close until it is done showing. Until I sit down and figure out how to get around that, I won't be going to those sites. I have having to watch an advertisment and StarWars.com seems to be doing this a lot on their site.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 06:14 PM »
Yeah, those are a pain. That is just plain dishonest to have a "Close" box that doesn't work. Fortunately for me, Hyperspace members don't see any ads when we're logged in.

Another way around it is to click the ad to open it into a new browser window, which you can close, thus getting rid of the ad.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 05:53 AM »
Just finished Dark Nest 2 so I am going to post some spoilers so . .  .

SPOILERS: I am undecided on this series. At times I have enjoyed reading them, at other times, I actually put the book down for awhile before I came back to it. This whole idea that a next of insects are posing a threat to the galaxy seems trival to me. After the Vong, can insects truly pose a massive threat? Also, this thing with Zelek and Jania is old, and their joiner thing reminds me more of a Vulcan mind meld then of Star Wars. Finally, anyone shocked that Tenal and Jacen had a baby?
I have liked the inner struggle that seems to be going on that the Jedi are struggling with regarding serving the Force or serving the Galatic Alliance. Also, the anything goes concepts seems to be becoming challenged by Luke himself. However, the breakdown of the masters with Luke being out of communication was disturbing. Have these Jedi Masters learned nothing from the past about having the order tied too much in with being the enforcing arm of the political leadership of the Alliance/Republic?
So though I have some issues, overall I like some of the themes that Denning is showing in the development of the Jedi Order.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 05:54 AM by TheBlackDog65 »

John Keeshan

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
Re: Post NJO books--The Dark Nest Trilogy
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 07:05 PM »
I finished the second book last week and thought it was pretty good.

TBD, I understand where you are coming from about a bunch of insects having this kind of influence over the new Galactic Alliance, but I don't think they would be as powerful if they didn't have three Jedi controlling them.  I think that's what Denning is trying to convey with Luke's re-thinking of the new Jedi philosophy that they came up with at the end of the NJO series.

The only part of the story I find annoying is that the whole Jaina/Zekk joiner plot.  I can understand a side effect of the battle-meld they all shared on the Myrkyr mission, but they spent a long time in the NJO making Jaina such a strong-willed character....I thought she'd be able to resist becoming a joiner.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 5, 2005, 03:49 PM »
I agree about the Jaina/Zekk line.  I wish I could skip over reading it as I expected more out of her character after all she went through with the death of Anakin and the Vong war.  I'm not sure what Denning is doing but I hope he takes her character in a stronger direction at the end of book three.   I do, however, enjoy the development of Leia's character and am looking forward to the final book in the series. 
Beth

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2006, 08:44 PM »
I just finished up the last book of this series The Swarm War.  I thought overall it was pretty good, but they left a lot of things just open-ended at the end.

I won't go too into it until everyone has had a chance to read it.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darth Depressis

• Jedi Padawan
  • i've never seen garbage eat garbage before
    • View Profile
    • http://swfanon.wikia.com/wiki/User:Darth_Depressis
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 11:54 PM »
Just got the Science fiction book club hardback trilogy version, its alot better in one sitting, so far a two and half week long sitting but good, even better after the first two legacy books.....