Author Topic: New Unleashed Vader (pics)  (Read 2281 times)

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
New Unleashed Vader (pics)
« on: August 17, 2005, 11:16 AM »
I bought this yesterday at WM for $9 (tags on the peg were marked as if this were a regular price, although Unleashed is dead soon, anyway).  Here are some initial thoughts:
- The figure is huge.  It is one of the largest Unleashed, close to Boba Fett scale with the base and all.
- The scene seems to be a combination, because the Vader outfit is the ANH version (cloth over the chest piece), the stairs that he's leaping from are clearly the Emperor's throne room stairs, but the jump reminds me of the Cloud City leap when he nearly lands on Luke's head.
- The pose is a little strange; the saber arm is all the way back, the forward arm (articulated at the shoulder) can be made to reach forward like he's force-choking, and his legs are both bent in a strange dancer pose.
- The details of the outfit are all very good, and the helmet looks spot-on.  The cape is a huge flowing mass though, that reminds me of the Sidious Unleashed.

Overall, not a bad addition to an ending line, but I prefer the more film-accurate Vader Unleashed from the Cloud City shaft.  I'd give it 3.5 to 4 out of 5 ;D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 10:02 AM by Daigo-Bah »
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: New Unleashed Vader
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 07:19 AM »
Nice review DB...

Not sure how I would try reviewing Unleashed stuff.  It's something I've never tried.

I know I couldn't count articulation really as a negative...  Sculpt and paint applictions would take precedence I would think.

Then the scene/display would become pretty important to me too...  I think I agree that Vader's a character who I'd prefer more "movie" oriented poses, considering he has lots of action sequences to do Unleashed figures of him.

Fett's the same way, and I can buy his figure for that very reason (I don't own one btw, but have seen it of course).  He's got a pose that wasn't in the movie, but it fits with what WAS int he movie.

But a character like Bossk (one of the 2 Unleashed I own) sorta required that EU pose.  It worked for him too, bigtime, and looked great.  Same with IG-88 and I wish they'd have fleshed out the entire Bounty Hunter line-up then because of those 2's quality.

Unleashed's a line that's tough to review I'd think...  Nice job man.  Was a good read.  I think based on this that I'd (if I was to get a Vader) try getting the first Vader rather than this one.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
Re: New Unleashed Vader
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 10:01 AM »
Thanks JJ- here are a couple pics; the pose is growing on me, despite it's comic book-like pose:

Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke