Author Topic: Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader  (Read 6286 times)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
« on: August 18, 2005, 07:55 PM »
I just finished reading an article in the latest Insider (#83) about the upcoming novel, Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader.  I haven't read many novels lately, but this one has piqued my interest.

It's written by James Luceno, the same author that wrote Labyrinth of Evil, the lead-in to Episode III.  It's available at Amazon.com for $17.13, 34% of the list price of $25.95.

(Mild) Spoilers below:

Apparently a big focus of the novel is the relationship between Vader and Palpatine, which I'm very curious to read about.  Obviously Anakin was manipulated into his position, so what does he think of that?

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 05:10 PM »
Yup, looking forward to this one.  I usually just pick these up at Walmart or Shopko since I like to get perfect dust jackets.  Luceno did a decent job on Labyrinth so I am expecting this to be a good read as well. 

Labyrinth spoiler below:

I liked the way he manipulated the readers with Palpatine's hidden base and the duel on ships between the Jedi Masters and Grevious.  I have high hopes for the Vader book after reading Labyrinth.
Beth

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 03:01 AM »
yeah, I liked Labrynth alot, the author did a really good job about general grievous' backstory. Since I'm a Vader fan-
I'd like to read how Vader's character is drawn up in this book. I was however dissapointed about grievous' character in the film VS how he was "badass" portrayed in Labrynth. I suppose that the norm for books VS movies though.

Offline JedioftheNorth

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 10:22 AM »
Really looking forward to this one after reading the insider article plus Luceno writes good star wars, LOE was one of the best SW novels i've ever read.

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 06:04 AM »
I'll pick this up at B&N for $17 after my discount. This will provide some good reading after watching the DVD for like 20x.  Anyway, looking forward to this one!
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 12:34 PM »
I read somewhere this will have Vaders and Tarkins early meetings. Sounds pretty cool.  :)

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005, 10:28 PM »
Well I bought it on Wednesday and now I am trying to get into. Same issue I had with Lab. of Evil by Luceno. The beginning of the book starts off rather slow but then picks up. I am hoping it picks up. Now this may be me and the meds I'm on for my back, so I'll revisit as I read more and more.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 06:46 PM »
How goes the book so far TheBlackDog65??  I finally got off my butt and ordered it today since I have finally finished the other books I have been reading.  I am sure I won't start it until after the holidays but am curious if you could give an "unspoilerish" review when you're done.
Beth

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 10:41 AM »
I finished the book last week.  It's pretty good and a fairly quick read once you get past the set-up in the beginning.

I don't want to go too much into it since most of y'all haven't read it yet, but it deals with some Jedi that survived Order 66, some Early Trakin/Vader meetings, there's even some stuff that deals with some kids on Alderaan and Tatooine.   ;)
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 07:31 PM »
Thanks Matt...now I'll probably have to start on this as soon as it arrives!!
Beth

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 06:20 PM »
Don't worry Beth, it's a quick read.   :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 04:58 PM »
Just got this for Christmas.  Not usually a hardcover book reader, but it was a nice surprise.

I have read thru chapter 10, which includes the story setup of Act I, the first 8 chapters, and then Vader/Emperor in chapter 9-10.  So far so good!

I liked the how the first 8 chapters take place during the events of ROTS.  Didn't figure this out until near the end.

I'll check back throughout my reading.
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline blaster_e11

• Jedi Initiate
  • Charming to the last
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: January 5, 2006, 05:23 AM »
i finished it yesterday and it was a fun but short read

why did  luceno give red armor to the 501st ?  ???
"Wars don't make one great"

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2006, 03:41 AM »
I finished the book last week.  It's pretty good and a fairly quick read once you get past the set-up in the beginning.

I don't want to go too much into it since most of y'all haven't read it yet, but it deals with some Jedi that survived Order 66, some Early Trakin/Vader meetings, there's even some stuff that deals with some kids on Alderaan and Tatooine.   ;)

Sorry for the late reply. December was extremely busy and I became very sick.  I agree, once you get pas his setup in the beginning, the book flies. Fun read overall and it makes you think. I can agree with some of Luceno's thoughts, a few I have issues. But for a Star Wars book and for the author, I have to say the book made me think and that is usually rare for a SW book for me.  I usually read them for the escapism but Luceno makes me think which I LOVE since I teach English.

John Keeshan

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2006, 05:29 PM »
Glad you liked it.  Also glad to hear you are feeling better.
This is the way.

I have spoken.