Author Topic: JD Review - Commander Gree (Battle Gear)  (Read 2710 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
JD Review - Commander Gree (Battle Gear)
« on: December 2, 2005, 01:26 AM »
Want to see just how bad a job Hasbro can do when they take repaints the one step that goes "too far"?  Well look no further than......

Yes, we're taking a look at one of the "final 12" this week with Commander Gree (Battle Gear).  The good commander who met his demise at the hands of everyone's little green friend, Yoda, is here and I think it's pretty well set that everyone wants a new version of this figure already.

Amazing isn't it?

Inaccuracies abound and I didn't even touch on all of them in the review I think...  Namely the holster I forgot to mention because I didn't have a good image of him showing the little pistol and holster on his hip.  Damn, I'm slacking.

But yeah I'm really disappointed in Gree, couldn't you tell?  Bad paintjob (and no the variation on the visor doesn't fix this guy), the lack of "suspenders", lack of holster and other details...  Hasbro just needs to quit stretching their budget with this figure.  They easily could have delivered a repaint of the SA Clone sculpt as an Utapau Grunt or even an "EU" Clone (people would have bought it and you know it.  Green Commanders and Black Pilots sell out and so would a Green Grunt) Trooper.  Instead we get the most half-hearted of Commanders, and one of everyone's favorites from ROTS.

I've found Gree makes a neat quasi-EU grunt as I leave hope for a "real" Gree figure.  He's not bad then when you think of him as a Trooper instead of the Commander, but he still is lacking in a big way.

Hasbro...  you got some 'splainin' to do...
« Last Edit: December 2, 2005, 01:27 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: JD Review - Commander Gree (Battle Gear)
« Reply #1 on: December 2, 2005, 10:43 AM »
Nice review Jesse! I'm so glad you mentioned the part about the white missing from the top of the helmet. IMO this is the inexcusable part that Hasbro goofed on. All I read/hear about is the suspenders goof but I feel when you look at the pic and don't see the white in the upper dome of the helmet....that kills it for me( and I never read/hear anyone mention this discrepancy-so GJ on that). You'd think Hasbro would have corrected the helmet's white painting in the dome area..but no, they stupidly and "who caresedly" repaint the eye visor ::).
Great idea about the holo emperor on the arm- I didn't even think of that- yeah they could easily put two holes on the arm/two pegs on the holo and make it an accessory like the tongue of the mas amedda....and we'll probably never see it ::)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 4, 2005, 03:08 PM »
Yeah, I agree with the review. I don't even consider this figure Commander Gree. I bought a few and army built them as grunt type clones.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: December 5, 2005, 02:00 AM »
Yeah I got a handful for that same reason Anton.  I really REALLY hope Gree gets a new figure down the line at some point or another.  Even if they use the #41 sculpt but all his extras are just accessories you snap on.  It could be done and look cool (the belt's a separate piece so make a new belt/suspenders piece you clip on the figure, a removable thigh holster, etc., etc.), and for god's sake do the paintjob justice.

You could do a great Gree with the base figure being the SA Clone to save some scratch.  I know that's what Hasbro wants to do being as cheap as they are, so fine, but don't skimp on the paintjob and accessories then.  Show the good commander some love.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77