Author Topic: Toy Runs affected by Gas Prices?  (Read 14657 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Toy Runs affected by Gas Prices?
« Reply #30 on: September 1, 2005, 10:32 PM »
Yeah, we probably shouldn't get political.   Sorry if I started to go down that road.  :)

:P

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 1, 2005, 10:55 PM »
That's right, you dirty, dirty boy. >:( :-*

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 2, 2005, 10:09 AM »
Yeah, we probably shouldn't get political.   Sorry if I started to go down that road.  :)

Were you listening to Rush that day? I was flipping back and forth between him and Al Frankin to hear the extreems on the hurricane coverage, sounds like you were quoteing Rush almost word for word. ;) :P
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 2, 2005, 11:25 AM »

Were you listening to Rush that day? I was flipping back and forth between him and Al Frankin to hear the extreems on the hurricane coverage, sounds like you were quoteing Rush almost word for word. ;) :P

I try to listen to Rush every day for a few minutes on my lunch break if I can.  I don't always agree with him, but I think that he's dead on the money with his analysis of what's going on lately.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 6, 2005, 06:52 PM »
I had to cancel my toy run this weekend because of gas. I can't balance the two anymore. :(
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 6, 2005, 09:20 PM »
I had to cancel my toy run this weekend because of gas. I can't balance the two anymore. :(

I feel the same way.  Looks like I'm going to be ordering more stuff online.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 7, 2005, 11:11 AM »
As prices rise, it affects the poor much more than the rich. Gas prices would have to go up to $10-12 a gallon before it starts to put dents into medium income households. Since I'm not poor, its doesn't affect my toy runs in the least.

I think the scarer thing is the rise in housing prices. Around here in California its gone up 400-500% in a few years. Good for me that owns property. Bad for you that rent. Most new families are being majorly sqeezed out of the housing market.

Real estate is a far better investment than star wars toys. We should all stop buying star wars stuff, pay off debt and save to buy property. We would all be better off in the end and also save lots of gas from not doing toy runs.

Believe me, if you care any kind of debt and you still buy every star wars item in multiples you will wind up dirt poor for the rest of your life no matter how much you make. Pay off all your credit cards, car and student loans and buy a house instead.
« Last Edit: September 7, 2005, 11:14 AM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 7, 2005, 02:15 PM »
Thanks EXPERT-geez somebody plug the professor into the hyperdrive ::) ;)

Then sometimes you have folks who think they're all in the knowing and think they're 'good' advice is for anybody/everybody.....

Sigh* how shallow is that?- yeah I'm saving up to buy a house one day.... why I don't have one yet? My working for the government and possibilty/likeliness of relocation exists for 9 more years-until then there's no point to buy a home (like I've seen several others do) only to have to sell all they're hopes and dreams when they were forced to move.

Sometimes IMO comments non-SW related like real estate should be left for those real estating Infomercials on late night TV (wow, some of those folks are portayed as egotistical knowitalls-I bet some folks would fit right in)

This IS a SW collecting site primarily; Duh*, NO, I won't stop buying SW and I won't buy a house yet -as the situation doesn't apply to me.

tell-you-how-to-live-your-life know-it-all warlords are better suited for TV infomercials   

Offline SpudTrooper

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 7, 2005, 02:31 PM »
As prices rise, it affects the poor much more than the rich. Gas prices would have to go up to $10-12 a gallon before it starts to put dents into medium income households. Since I'm not poor, its doesn't affect my toy runs in the least.

I think the scarer thing is the rise in housing prices. Around here in California its gone up 400-500% in a few years. Good for me that owns property. Bad for you that rent. Most new families are being majorly sqeezed out of the housing market.

Real estate is a far better investment than star wars toys. We should all stop buying star wars stuff, pay off debt and save to buy property. We would all be better off in the end and also save lots of gas from not doing toy runs.

Believe me, if you care any kind of debt and you still buy every star wars item in multiples you will wind up dirt poor for the rest of your life no matter how much you make. Pay off all your credit cards, car and student loans and buy a house instead.

kinda harsh there paul  :-\ collecting SW is not a investment i believe, its just our hobby, like women with their numerous bags and makeup. but i do agree with paul that real estates is the way to go now, esp in cali  8) BUT you shouldnt compare property to toys in terms of investment  in the first place, thats ridiculous.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 7, 2005, 04:32 PM »
You missed my point entirely. Your were probably too busy playing the lottery. >:(

Going into debt for something that ultimately wont matter  (ie star wars toys) for sort term happyness is stupid.  Saving for things that do matter like houses is important. With the equity in my house I can afford to buy figures and buy gas without a second though.

If the price of gas is distribing to you, you probably shouldn't be buying $6+ plastic men that will have no value in the future. But as long as your immediately happy thats all that count.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 7, 2005, 05:17 PM »
You assume too much...and when you do, you make an ASS out of you/NOT me. Several things are clear here.......
-I have no trouble paying the gas, I just don't like the rate :(
-Don't need to play the lotto...do You? :o
-I AM using a card to purchase SW goods- yeah, that would be my bank account check card you dolt 8)
-I collect for long term- as in 10-20+ years

Why even come to this site, and buy 'cheap plastic men'(that are worthless)and to talk about how you think you know every thing about how/what peolpe should do with their life? Because you don't have one? Well I have one and I choose to respect others until they try to tell other people what to like/how to live-when that happens then ..I guess one good insult deserves another.

And now.. back to the topic at hand... looks like my local gas prices have dropped .10 cents a gallon in my area- whoo-hoo that's a whole $2.30 a tank fill up less for me! :D For a moment there it was almost cheaper to buy alcohol to drink then for your car. Then unfortunately if you go to a bar that's far your costly double dipping. I say drink at home or use a friend to drive! ;)

Offline SpudTrooper

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 7, 2005, 06:19 PM »
whew..thank goodness i didnt get gas yesterday..lol  8)

and i dont play lotto either

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 8, 2005, 02:38 AM »

Believe me, if you care any kind of debt and you still buy every star wars item in multiples you will wind up dirt poor for the rest of your life no matter how much you make.

There's no income level that can support buying every star wars item in multiples? 
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 8, 2005, 03:06 AM »
You assume too much...and when you do, you make an ASS out of you/NOT me. Several things are clear here.......
-I have no trouble paying the gas, I just don't like the rate :(
-Don't need to play the lotto...do You? :o
-I AM using a card to purchase SW goods- yeah, that would be my bank account check card you dolt 8)
-I collect for long term- as in 10-20+ years

Why even come to this site, and buy 'cheap plastic men'(that are worthless)and to talk about how you think you know every thing about how/what peolpe should do with their life? Because you don't have one? Well I have one and I choose to respect others until they try to tell other people what to like/how to live-when that happens then ..I guess one good insult deserves another.

I think its funny that you have to resort to name calling in order to get your point across. What is this the 3rd grade or did I stumble across RS again? Did Paul really get you that pissed off to do that? He was stating his opinion on the subject. Not everyone's on this forum.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #44 on: September 8, 2005, 03:39 AM »
I'm going to hop in and first say that namecalling isn't tolerated so nobody do it...  I don't care how much anyone disagrees here right now.

I'm going to also say though, that there is the walking of a fine line of being terribly offensive with some opinions.  I partly agree and respect opinions on both sides I'm seeing, but I'm also "poor" and buy Star Wars figures, as are many others I know, and I don't know anyone who doesn't manage a balance in the hobby right now...  And no, I don't own a home.  So, I'm going to ask that when we discuss the behaviors of collectors, we try to respect them all and remember that poor, rich, and in-between are all entitled to happiness in life so long as they can manage their lives themselves.

In this world, if you drive and pay for gas you have a right to an opinion on it irregardless of your income level and other spending habits, and we need to remember that.  There's a lot of varying factors around gas prices and this whole situation.  It's a touchy one in the world obviously.  There's no need to "add fuel to the fire" by arguing about the issue and what some people maybe "should" be doing in one's opinion.  Nobody here knows the other person intimately enough to judge them like that, so let us drop it at that please, on both sides.

Thank you, please drive through.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77