Author Topic: New JD Review: Utapauan Warrior (Utapau Security)  (Read 3974 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
New JD Review: Utapauan Warrior (Utapau Security)
« on: August 29, 2005, 12:55 AM »
If I could've made a top 10 list of army builders I didn't really want from the Star Wars films, I bet I would've had the Utapauan Warrior (Utapau Security) on that list somewhere. 

I'm really perplexed at some of Hasbro's figure decisions for the ROTS line like this guy, the Neimodian Warrior, and the Mustafar Sentry.  All army builders, all with positive marks working in their corner, but all figures that I could've lived without in favor of getting something a little more interesting to me personally.  Not to mention that they all are lacking something here and there as well.

Personally, the Utapauan is not one of Hasbro's best efforts in the ROTS line.  He falls prey to many of the same failings the Neimodian Warrior did, though I somehow like that figure a bit more than the Utapau Warrior.  A wonky pose and lacking knee articulation make for a less than fun figure.

Hasbro's taken an obscure and somewhat uninteresting character and made a moderate figure of him basically.  That equals boredom on the pegs, and a figure that could be prone to backing up the system ala the Neimodian.  Not a good thing for collectors at all.

As always, feel free to read my full review on him Right Here, and of course share your thoughts.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: New JD Review: Utapauan Warrior (Utapau Security)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 11:14 AM »
Great review as always Jesse. BTW, you can see the Utapuan Warrior in the movie. I'ts riding a giant dragon-thing in one of the Utapua scenes. Forgot which one.  :P

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 05:20 PM »
Yeah, I figured that's him but he's tough to make out any details...  Thanks Hunter, I appreciate the comments. 

He falls in the Neimodian category so much that he's doomed to pegwarm I'm afraid, should he ship a lot anyway.  My area currently doesn't have a TON of that wave so he's not terribly abundant, but I see probably 2 at about every WM I hit.

Not a lot, but enough that I know he'd be sitting right now if we weren't in such a drought out here.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 06:51 PM »
Another nice review Jesse, as stated eaqrlier he does appear in the movie, and his weapon is accurate from watching all three frames he's in!  ;)

It is a shame about the odd poses and they seem to be lacking in articulation that army builders do have.  I think it would've been better if they had just given him a neutral pose.

Oh well...he looks good on the card.  :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 02:20 AM »
Good review again Jesse :)
I only wish this fig came in some sorta deluxe pack with one of those flying lizard/pterodactyl- like creatures!

I've noticed that the lean-back style figs seem to go well as riders....with hope I would wish that's what H was planning for later on but...highley unlikely

To me a good diorama would be to have two of these as 'riders' on their flying creatures standing on two legs looking up in a screaming pissed mode with Tion standing between both pointing his 'cane' outward like he's sending his warriors to battle. LOL-ok c'mon Chewie...make me one now...hehe ;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 02:44 AM »
-Matt,  Thanks for the kind comments...  Yeah I was more tongue-in-cheek with the comments on him being in the film because he's so "blink and you miss him" kinda guy...  A lot had debated if it was the guy on the flying creature or the guys being led away in red robes (whatever/whoever they are...  They're big!) and stuff.

I agree that a neutral pose would probably have helped him out some too.  I like the Neimodian Soldier a LOT, and I think a main reason for that was his neutral pose.  Both lack knees but the Neimodian's seemingly the better army builder almost entirely due to pose...  Add knees and he's a near SA figure really.

The Utapaun needed a bit more than knee articulation to be truly great obviously, and his pose is a MAJOR reason why.  Add knees and he'd basically lose the "pose" due to the articulation and it'd be a lot better.  It's funny comparing him to the Neimodian, as that figure shows a LOT of superior qualities when directly compared like this.  Makes me wanna nab a couple more Neimodians for the old militia.

-Slothus...  I would've dug a mount for the figure too, and packaged as some kind of mid-sized vehicle.  Had the beasts wings been flexible with a wire "skeleton" or some such, it could've been a great item and it would've tied the figure a bit more to the spot in the film you actually see this guy. :)

The whole thing would've been better then I think, even if more money.

Hasbro's done some nice stuff in the $15 - $20 range this year and that would've easily fallen into that.  Not to mention that I think most things Utapau will be hot once made...  The Warrior would've complemented Utie Clones well.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 02:46 AM by Jesse James »

Offline Mike16

• Youngling
  • As you wish...
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Outpost
« Reply #6 on: September 3, 2005, 02:28 PM »
Another great review, I think this figure looks pretty cool. Shame he doesn't have a lizard mount though, like has been mentioned

BTW Jesse, have you got a review of #55 Pilot Obi-Wan coming up, would like to hear your thoughts on that one

Mike
« Last Edit: September 3, 2005, 02:30 PM by Mike16 »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: September 3, 2005, 11:26 PM »
Obi Pilot's on my to-do list I think, but I just found the figure about a week ago so I haven't gotten it written up just yet.  We've got a lot of others coming up though as well.  Keep your eyes on the review page for sure...  Knowing you're wanting that one will help me prioritize that some. :)

Thanks for the input!

Offline Mike16

• Youngling
  • As you wish...
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Outpost
« Reply #8 on: September 4, 2005, 05:58 AM »
Nice one, I'll keep an eye out :)