Author Topic: Target Exclusive Clone Trooper  (Read 53698 times)

Offline SGT. Flint

• Youngling
  • Th'is I... The Price Of Punk
    • View Profile
Re: More Target Exclusives?
« Reply #120 on: April 26, 2005, 01:57 PM »
Here is a wierd plan you guys can use..... If the figures DO NOT have a price tag or a Shelf Tag, then you may could get it for what the basic figures sell for

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2005, 01:57 PM »
Based on a huge tip from Jared, I was able to nab my Target Clones last night.  Totally MOMC too, with what appears to be a much nicer/sturdier "starcase" than the one that came with the Lava Vader a few weeks ago.  No bent peg hooks on the top of the card either.  Much better.  In their system under the correct new Clone DCPI #, and at $12.99 again.

Very relieved to get that one out of the way, as I think it's gonna be a bitch to track it down, since it's not only an exclusive, but it's an army builder that's going to be in huge demand.  Likely not going to be a figure that folks just grab their usual one or two of...  :-\
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 01:58 PM by JediMAC »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2005, 02:54 PM »
  Likely not going to be a figure that folks just grab their usual one or two of...  :-\

Really?  I think the army builders will skimp on this one because of the outrageous price.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2005, 04:25 PM »
Well damn, these are out? Better get cracking!
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2005, 04:44 PM »
  Likely not going to be a figure that folks just grab their usual one or two of...  :-\

Really?  I think the army builders will skimp on this one because of the outrageous price.

I know one person who's opened up a dozen of them for army building.  If people will army build VOTC Stormtroopers, they'll army build this.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #125 on: April 26, 2005, 04:49 PM »
What a bunch of A-holes at Target...  My god.  One of my worst retail experiences with low-level employees I do believe.

So I took the # and called a couple "local" (I'm talking like 45 mins away though) Targets and at the first one I got a nice guy who was helpful.  Great.

Second Target I called the guy was like "We don't have that", I told him I have the DPCI # and asked if he could just check it.  He told me, "We don't carry that".  I told him to then just check the #, I know he's capable of it, and I didn't wanna make a 1 hour trip to his store for nothing.  He said, "OK, what is it", and I read it, and he just said, "Yeah, there's none of those here, goodbye".

So I went to the first Target...  After haggling with an employee about what it was, telling him there's none on the pegs and asking if he could go in the back (I used the, "The guy I talked to told me to make the trip down and someone could help me" line), the guy went in the back finally and brought one out.  At that point, another employee and the one who brought me the figure both started asking me, "is this valuable?" type questions.  I told them it isn't, and that if they make a lot it won't ever be...  It may have an initial "push" but that's it.  I tried to avoid any army builder potential topics or anything, and just get their minds off their wallets and to just not screw everyone in that Targets area.   ::)

So from there, I left with my one Clone (which the one guy I think didn't want to sell it to me because he I could see the steam coming from his ears as he thought about buying what he could and selling them).  I went down the highway then to the next Target to form a sorta triangle toyrun.  There's a highway from that one that'd run right back to my house (a 45 min drive from that Target to home though, and from the first Target to the next was easily 45 mins as well).  I get there, and this is the store that the ******bag told me "we don't have that", and low and behold they're in stock.  If I could've had that $5.15/hr yutz in front of me I'd have kicked him in the nuts at that point.

I asked a girl for help, she gave me the "We can't bring 'Collectibles' out for you" line.  I told her it's a toy, she said no.  I told her it's for my kid.  She said no.  I left.

On the way out I popped off at Customer Service to try them.  It worked and after much searching they found me one and brought it out.  What a fiasco though.  

I like Target...  I like it more than Wal-Mart as far as stores go simply because it's always less "hectic" feeling, aisles are bigger, and it's a generally cleaner store (Some WM's are very clean/nice though).  That's important stuff to me.  If there's one constant in the retail universe though, it's that people from the ground up often just don't care.  I worked management for J.C. Penney's, and it's no different.  I guess that's the price you pay for "sales" and "price cuts" and the like.  Poor quality in service.  I will say some people were very nice today, but only 1/4 of the people I talked to were while easily the majority were rude and couldn't have acted more "bothered".

That's just my little retail rant.  Usually I give them the benefit of the doubt but today was frustrating trying to just get some simple help on something to save me some time.  Given how much I support Target over WM, they owed me more than what I got.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 26, 2005, 04:52 PM »
I'm off ot target for 3 of these tonight. :'(

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 26, 2005, 05:10 PM »
Jesse - it's like you were telling my story all over again.

The boom of eBay has changed everything and while I don't mind eBay per se, I do hate what it has done to the toy collecting industry.

It has become easy for Target/WalMart/TRU employees to subsidise their income by selling the "hot" toys on eBay. Stores say they don't let employees open up cases of stuff in the stock room - but they do! Just look at my story - when I finally convinced them to bring some Clones out, they brought me an open case with only four of the Clones left. What the heck happened there?

The only logical conclusion can be that a Target employee saw the case, opened it up and bought a bunch of them for sale on eBay. The only reason why there was a case left at all is because I think to have taken the entire case it would have meant that he/she would have actually had to check it out of inventory which means their activity would be traceable.

The important thing to remember is that Target's policy stands - if they have an item in stock and there is a place to put that product on the shelves (oh and for the $13 clone, the Lava Vader is THE spot - no more Lava Vaders are coming), the employees are REQUIRED to bring out the merchandise to you, regardless of what store-printed signs exist, what kind of assine department managers you run into and especially regardless of whether or not they think you are a collector, scalper or parent shopping for a kid.

I'm sure some of you have already read the story, but I actually got a department manager fired at Target around XMas time because he wouldn't re-stock the transformers pegs. He started mouthing off to me about being a scalper and that I couldn't possibly have a son at my age, etc.... That dick was never seen or heard from since and to be honest, this is the only store where I'm a jerk - cause when an employee in there starts to give me a hard time I just go - "Did you know Dan, the manager who got fired?" and I just grin when they respond "Yes", cause my immediate response is "well I'm the guy who got him fired after he gave me a hard time" - you should see how fast their toon changes.

I hate being a jerk like that sometimes, but what I hate more is being a slave to Target's lazy or dishonest employees.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 26, 2005, 05:47 PM »
We got lucky - we went to the closest Target and the employee was so unbelieveably helpful I thought I'd stepped into Bizzaro-Target.  He didn't have them, but printed out a list of all the stores in the area that did and gave me the quantities each store had.   The people at the nearest one were also very helpful and brought us out 3 - the number we requested without any fuss whatsoever.

And like I said - 1 store on a list of 10 or 15 stores had 24, all the others had 12 or less in their inventory. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #129 on: April 26, 2005, 06:13 PM »
I wish I'd had similar good experiences Rob...  Most of the time I'm cool at Target.  It is a good store, but today was  just that time that I NEEDED help and was given the run-around a lot.

Plus Target's a rarity around here.  Only near malls and they're all spaced rather far apart.  Tough making a toy run like that.  :(

I got what I went for though, as they're due on my finals week.  Blech. :(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 26, 2005, 06:23 PM »
Never mind. As much as I want this figure, I cannot allow myself to pay over 40 dollars for 3 clone troopers.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 26, 2005, 06:28 PM »
I grew up in an area that was pretty much Wal-Mart country (there were four within an hour's drive and absolutely nothing else; not even a K-Mart to be seen) so my main exposure to Target had been random trips out of town on holidays.  I have never met an actual nice Wal-Mart toy section employee (and arguably few nice ones in the rest of the store for that matter) and most of the time they seem to be saying things just to spite you. 

When I finally moved to an area with more retail outlets, I found Target to be a refreshing change of pace from the apathetic and perpetually angry WM employees.  Sure, you still run into some employees there (as with any store) that make it their mission to be an *******, but by and large (at least here), Target employees are helpful or at the very least professional with me.

Right now the SW section at Target is pretty packed where I am, but there are gaps where certain things could be stocked (namely the ARC-170 and Gunship, the 12" dolls, and the four pegs alotted for Lava Vader), but Target has literally only restocked twice since April 2nd and that was to put out a case of AT-RTs last week and more Unleashed earlier this week. 

That being said, I've learned when it's pretty much futile to ask employees about anything.  The guy I spoke to yesterday (that I think I mentioned in this thread) was very polite and CB'd the stockroom right in front of me, reading the UPC thing for the Deluxe figures to see if they had any more in the back (they didn't), but I didn't want to pressure him by asking about the Clones after that, especially since I didn't have that UPC on me.

What it comes down to is this: Target employees probably make a few cents more than Wal-Mart, but not enough to actually care about the customers.  They want to go in, do their job as well as they have to, and go home without any hassles.  While there are supposed to be policies in place at retailers to keep employees from buying anything while they're on the clock, there is nothing that keeps them from having a friend going off the clock set aside the stuff they want in the back so they can buy it later.  They're making 5 bucks and change an hour, so in their minds, if they can buy something and make a killing on Ebay, why the hell not?

I'm not saying it's right (in my perfect world where I am the ruler of the universe and the DeLaurentis girl on the Food Network is my...ummm..."consort for life", these problems would not exist as there would be solid case packs of Clone Troopers in various uniforms and accessories and none of them would be over 6 bucks for any reason), but sometimes, disturbing though it may be, it is beneficial to see things from their perspective in order to understand things a little better.

I would like to say though that any Target employee who is rude to customers about this and/or takes the figures and sells them on Ebay before they even hit the floor deserves to be beaten with a sack full of doorknobs.*

*Here's the sack, but you have to supply your own doorknobs.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 26, 2005, 09:16 PM »
Never mind. As much as I want this figure, I cannot allow myself to pay over 40 dollars for 3 clone troopers.

Kevin

I knew someone around here would start to use their brain eventually.  Out of all of the different legions of clones with different colors and patterns on their armor, this one is the easiest.  I've already customized 4 special ops, 4 red shock troopers, 3 of these "Target Exclusive" Neyo grunts, and Commander Bly from Felucia out of the 50 someodd clone #6's I've picked up so far.  I will do the same with the SA clone when it comes out for $5.  It is really disheartening to see so many of you willing to get bent over the star wars display by Target.  NO $5 figure should be sold for $14 (tax included) at retail.  No excuse.  Scalper prices at retail, and most of you are fine with it.  Go fig.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 09:17 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #133 on: April 26, 2005, 09:19 PM »
Target is the best place to shop for SW right now, but this thing has diaster written all over it.  I should know, I attended C3.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 26, 2005, 09:49 PM »

I knew someone around here would start to use their brain eventually.  Out of all of the different legions of clones with different colors and patterns on their armor, this one is the easiest.  I've already customized 4 special ops, 4 red shock troopers, 3 of these "Target Exclusive" Neyo grunts, and Commander Bly from Felucia out of the 50 someodd clone #6's I've picked up so far.  I will do the same with the SA clone when it comes out for $5.  It is really disheartening to see so many of you willing to get bent over the star wars display by Target.  NO $5 figure should be sold for $14 (tax included) at retail.  No excuse.  Scalper prices at retail, and most of you are fine with it.  Go fig.

It's all relative...I don't have the skill or time to customize ANYTHING.  So by the time I bought Paints, Brushes and new carpet for where I spilled the paint, I actually came out ahead by buying the figures. ;)

So I can have different clones by paying for them or by wishing for them.    I chose the former since doing the latter hasn't won me the Lotto yet either.