Author Topic: Target Exclusive Clone Trooper  (Read 53757 times)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: Target Exclusive Clone Trooper
« Reply #240 on: May 11, 2005, 02:15 PM »
Thanks for the clarification Jeff - I had no idea that variation even existed. To be honest, it seems kinda lame if you ask me. Perhaps the emblems on the locks interfered with the whole "Break the Emperors Code" thing and they didn't want people to be confused?

Anway - I'm not going to loose sleep over not having the second version of the "locks" - packaging variations just aren't THAT important to me.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 11, 2005, 03:56 PM »
I had a chance to open up the Target Clone that I picked up last week, and it is a nice figure.  But, looking at it, to me it definitely isn't worth $13.  I mean, more power to those of you who are building an army of these things, that is most definitely your choice....and it is a nice figure, but I guess I just get a little mad that Hasbro/Target/whoever deems this a $13 figure where it should be $5-6 (or maybe even $7-8 for being an exclusive).  Nice figure, but a bit pricey.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #242 on: May 11, 2005, 04:11 PM »
I just get a little mad that Hasbro/Target/whoever deems this a $13 figure where it should be $5-6 (or maybe even $7-8 for being an exclusive).  Nice figure, but a bit pricey.

Here's some "insight" into the Target Pricing on these...

Hasbro is basically comparing these figures to the vOTC - a Basic Figure with Clamshell Packaging.  The Hasbro MSRP they showed at C3 was $10 and that's consistent with what they are charging Target for these (ie the cases of these cost approx the same per figure as the vOTC did).

If you remember, Target started out at $10.99 on the vOTC until Wal-Mart forced them to price-match down to $10.  In addition, a few of my Target sources basically admitted that Target bumped up the price a bit to the $12.99 because they KNOW collectors will pay it.   

Target has been known to charge more for exclusive items in the past (Accessory Packs for $15, $40 for the B-Wing) and when it comes right down to it, as others have said, you don't see these sitting around very long do you?  Even at $13 they disappear pretty quick.   Lava Vader sucked as a figure, especially at $13, but when it's all said and done, they sold them all...  :-\

So, in summary:
The vOTC showed them (Target) we'd pay $11 for a figure and Lava Vader showed them we'd pay $13 for a figure

Not only did we (collectors) show them we'd buy at those prices, we're still showing them by buying up Lava Vader and the Clone.

Anyway, you can blame the $13 price tag on Target.  Hasbro wanted to charge you $10 (because of the clam-shell), but Target is the one that is sticking it to you...

On a semi-related note, TRU had the opportunity to put Holo Yoda in a case but apparently they chose not to to "keep the price down"... and then they went ahead and charged $10 for the figure anyway.   ::)

Jeff

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #243 on: May 11, 2005, 05:20 PM »
On a semi-related note, TRU had the opportunity to put Holo Yoda in a case but apparently they chose not to to "keep the price down"... and then they went ahead and charged $10 for the figure anyway.   ::)

Although to be fair, it was also free with $25 purchase.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #244 on: May 11, 2005, 07:36 PM »

Although to be fair, it was also free with $25 purchase.

Than again, the TRU by me didnt get any so the 25.00 free deal didnt apply.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 11, 2005, 07:59 PM »
I just get a little mad that Hasbro/Target/whoever deems this a $13 figure where it should be $5-6 (or maybe even $7-8 for being an exclusive).  Nice figure, but a bit pricey.

Here's some "insight" into the Target Pricing on these...

Hasbro is basically comparing these figures to the vOTC - a Basic Figure with Clamshell Packaging.  The Hasbro MSRP they showed at C3 was $10 and that's consistent with what they are charging Target for these (ie the cases of these cost approx the same per figure as the vOTC did).

If you remember, Target started out at $10.99 on the vOTC until Wal-Mart forced them to price-match down to $10.  In addition, a few of my Target sources basically admitted that Target bumped up the price a bit to the $12.99 because they KNOW collectors will pay it.   

Target has been known to charge more for exclusive items in the past (Accessory Packs for $15, $40 for the B-Wing) and when it comes right down to it, as others have said, you don't see these sitting around very long do you?  Even at $13 they disappear pretty quick.   Lava Vader sucked as a figure, especially at $13, but when it's all said and done, they sold them all...  :-\

So, in summary:
The vOTC showed them (Target) we'd pay $11 for a figure and Lava Vader showed them we'd pay $13 for a figure

Not only did we (collectors) show them we'd buy at those prices, we're still showing them by buying up Lava Vader and the Clone.

Anyway, you can blame the $13 price tag on Target.  Hasbro wanted to charge you $10 (because of the clam-shell), but Target is the one that is sticking it to you...

Figures. But they're right. We are willing to pay. :P

And what's even more sad is that others are willing to pay even more to the scalpers. :-\
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 11, 2005, 08:05 PM »
Jeff makes very valid points.   Start with and exclusive figure, add in the clamshell and then add in the whole army building culture that's pervasive in the collecting community and it's no wonder that the Target exclusive Clone Trooper has been so hot.  We only have ourselves to blame for the situation, I think.  It was only a matter of time before both Hasbro and an exclusive retailer decided that the army builders were ripe for the picking.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #247 on: May 11, 2005, 10:06 PM »
I can take a better picture when I get home tonight

As promised, a closer look at the case "lock nubs" variation:

It's not much, but I'm sure the variations guys will want to track one down...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 11, 2005, 11:59 PM »
It's not much, but I'm sure the variations guys will want to track one down...

Jeff

You mean like Colman?

;D

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 12, 2005, 12:03 AM »
I feel so bad for Matt. And all you OCD collectors. I couldn't immagine having 2 of everything, at least. :-\

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #250 on: May 12, 2005, 09:16 AM »
So Hasbro finally did it.  Now Star Wars collectors are collecting nubs.

That is just a darn shame.

I always swore never to become one of those nub collectors.  One nub is enough I USED to say.
Gatillo
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 12, 2005, 11:50 AM »
Really sucks to be an opener and not need to worry about crap like this, eh?   ;)

:P

Offline Xander

• Jedi Initiate
  • She-mantis, Ampata, Anya…a true demon magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 12, 2005, 01:12 PM »
Looks like today's the day, around Atlanta at least. Its been a clone invasion at Targets all over the city, and not just the exclusive - #41's stocked, along with 42, 43, and 44.  There are so many exlusives - some local reports have literally dozens in some stores, with more in the back - that it does seem these won't be scalper fodder for long.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 12, 2005, 01:39 PM »
After a tip from Ben, my wife is going to check Target for me - hopefully she is able to score me an exclusive clonie, SA clones and a medical table Vader!

I love super articulation!

:o

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 13, 2005, 10:51 PM »
There are currently 814 Target Exclusive clone troopers on Ebay at this moment.

I personally witnessed someone come sweeping by me in the star wars aisle at Target tonight and pick up all 6 of the 12.99 clone troopers on the pegs while I was inspecting paint jobs on the new wookiee warrior figure.  I wanted none of the 12.99 clone, and stuck to it.  R-I-P-O-F-F.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 10:52 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda