Author Topic: Storing Loose Figs  (Read 33633 times)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
Re: Storing Loose Figs
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2004, 10:52 AM »
Count me amongst those who uses the Plano 3700 tackle boxes for storing loose figures.  I simply don't have the room to display them, so this is the best alternative I could find.  It gives each figure their own individual space, helps keep the right weapons with the right character, and the cases themselves don't take up a lot of space (well, when you've got about 45 of them like I do, they take up a bit, but not as much space as they would on shelves.  :)

The cases themselves have become increasingly hard to find for me lately.  I used to get them at K-Mart on a regular basis, but I haven't seen one there since last summer at the latest.  A possible explanation for this is that Martha Stewart started selling a "similar" case to the Plano 3700 and we all know about her contract with K-Mart.  The problem with this is that MS's uses a cheaper plastic (not nearly as durable as the Plano) and costs just under 7 bucks, whereas a Plano case was right around 4.  Maybe with Ms. Stewart's "problems", K-Mart will start selling the Plano cases again and tell her where she can take her inferior products.

Every WM I've been to only carries the Rubbermaid style cases (they're almost exactly like the Plano 3700, but not quite).  The annoying thing about them is that the lid does not latch very well when you close it and lock it, and it does not have the number of slot/separators that the Plano 3700 has.  You kind of have to look to find the Plano cases these days, but they're well worth the investment.

Oh, and one other thing about the Plano cases:  there are certain figures who will not fit in the cases for various reasons.  Among these are the Darktrooper, Shaak Ti, Luminara, Graxol Kelvyyn, AOTC Deluxe Mace Windu, Ephant Mon, and Dexter Jettster.  I found a solution to storing these figures (with the exception of Ephant Mon, who still won't fit anywhere and is displayed on a shelf) in a "deeper" Plano tackle box.  It's about twice the depth of the 3700 and while it doesn't have as many slots in it, it does enable you to put the bulkier figures in a space where they can be stored easily.  Luminara can even be stored standing up!

Offline jkno

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2004, 04:42 AM »
my Action Fleet ships (I mainly collect Action Fleet) are stored in my room in the furniture drawers. They are protected from dust and sunlight. And i don't smoke. Each of them is protected by a bubble plastic bag I received with the CD's I have in my collection.  My action figures are all in big bags, but each one is in separate bag and then put in bigger bags.

SilverZ

« Reply #17 on: June 7, 2004, 03:22 PM »
Right now my loose collection is stored in a handy container called a 10x6 self-storage unit.  :(

When I moved, I surrendered all of the space required for my collection to “normal” life things… like clothes. I brought the loose figures along in hopes that they could go up on a wall somewhere, but that just didn’t happen.

Instead, I bagged them individually in little Ziploc snack baggies, which are just big enough to fit the figure and its accessories. Then they’re piled into larger Rubbermaid storage tubs from Target.

BTW - It’s always fun when you go to the grocery store and buy about 8 boxes of those little snack baggies. The looks you get are precious.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 7, 2004, 07:40 PM »
BTW - It’s always fun when you go to the grocery store and buy about 8 boxes of those little snack baggies. The looks you get are precious.

yeah, i actually did just that about 2 weeks ago. with a little bit of luck, and some free time, my loose figures will all be in their new homes by this weekend  ;)

(pics are forthcoming)

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2004, 11:27 AM »
Through the yrs. I've picked up a bunch of the plastic individual cases from Michaels(craft store) sometimes you can find them on sale which cuts the cost a little(still kind of pricey at around $1ea. (maybe less) I have one long shelf in my fireplace room with vintgae all in these cases(a few short of the entire loose run)

Keeps them dust free, and displays real nice.

Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2004, 07:04 PM »
Just thought I'd post with some interesting news for those of us who use the Plano 3700 tackle boxes.  I was in a K-Mart the other day and noticed that they have stopped carrying the regular 3700 box in favor of the 3700-2.  The difference doesn't look like much from the outside, but it's actually going to make things a bit more cramped.

The good news is that it has even more slots for the dividers, so it can practically be used a loose weapon case there are so many individual compartments.  It also has a new latch system (the reason for the -2, I suppose) that is supposedly much more secure than the regular 3700.  

The bad news is that the new latch, while not sticking out much further on the outside, requires a greater amount of space on the inside.  I don't know how to explain it, but the indentation in the actual compartments is about twice as deep as the 3700, making any figure that is stored in either of those two spots very cramped.  I'm hoping the 3700 hasn't been discontinued, as I really like them and I never had a problem with the latches, but if it has been, I guess I've found a nice and slim compartment for San Hill at the very least.

Just wanted to give my fellow Plano fans a heads-up in case they hadn't heard about this.

Offline Firebolt

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2004, 07:12 AM »
I found these Blister Packs which I am going to order. You can find them here: http://www.users.tpg.com.au/bigdover/
I live in Aust so its easy for me but I'm not sure if they ship overseas, so you'll have to ask.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2004, 08:11 PM »
I've got some vacation next week, so I'm planning to take care of this collection storage problem.
It'll probably take me all week to do it, too. ::)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2004, 08:19 PM »
Some of the cases I use can be seen here.  The compartments are big enought to hold most 3-3/4" figures.  In some cases, I can get 2 - 3 figures in each compartment.

They're a little pricey at $9.99 each, but I like them a lot.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2005, 03:51 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

SilverZ

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2005, 11:23 PM »
I have a question for you Plano fans:

As I wrote some time ago, I have been storing my loose figures in individual baggies, which are then placed in larger plastic storage bins. Over the last couple of weeks I’ve been pulling them out to take photos, and have noticed something a bit concerning – the weight of the figures piled on top of one another is causing bending to both figures and weapons. I don’t think it’s a good idea to continue storing them this way and need to switch to a single-figure-per-compartment method – meaning I need a LOT of those clear storage trays.

I have 2 Shimano cases that Walmart carried a few years back. I really like them as they fit 12 figures comfortably without wasted space and have a nearly airtight seal, which is good to prevent yellowing. I don’t know if these are available at Walmart any more, and they seem to be very limited online, like they may have been discontinued.

So… Are the Plano boxes still available since last discussed in ’04?

Has anyone compared them to the Shimano cases? Are they a nice airtight seal like the Shimanos?

I’ve got to find a cheap solution to store, wow, like hundreds of loose figures. They’re just sitting on the floor and I’m afraid to back them all away to continue their bending process. Any input you guys might have would be wonderful!

-J

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2005, 11:27 PM »
I haven't checked for a while to be honest.  You may want to check a sporting goods store if you strike out a Wal Mart.  Oh, and check the craft area at Wal Mart, they might have something similar for storing beads and bows and junk.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2005, 11:33 PM »
Jared, Plano is still making cases, although they are slightly different from in the recent past.  The case that was pretty much the standard as far as SW figures go, the 3700, disappeared from most retailers near me overnight, and although I found a stockpile of 8 at an out of the way K-Mart six months ago, I had not seen any others until recently.

Plano apparently decided to upgrade their latch system on the sides of the cases (instead of being part of the actual mold, they are now a solid, and more secure, latch as a separate piece) and in doing so, introduced a few new cases (as well as sneaking the 3700 back onto the market).

Wal-Mart is the predominant carrier of the 3750 (I think) case.  This has slots for 12 figures, but unlike the 3700, the slots are done in a fashion where the left-most six slots are horizontal instead of vertical.  While this makes for a tighter fit on the vertical slots, this enables the horizontal slots to hold figures that the 3700 could not (such as Luminara Unduli, the Darktrooper, or Dexter Jettster) lying flat.  The only drawback is that the new latch system actually takes away from the slot space on these horizontal slots, so many of the taller figures will still not fit in the case.  That being said, I was able to fit Graxxol Kelvyyn (from Watto's Box) in three of the horizontal slots when I removed the dividers, so there you go.

There is also another case (3770?) that has the ability to make "angled" compartments.  I don't have any of these, so I can't comment on how good they are, but it looks like it's the same size and slot distribution as the aforementioned box but with "flexible" tabs.

The classic, though, is the 3700.  I have about 30 of these myself, and they're damn near perfect.  They have also apparently just reissued them, although WM doesn't seem to be carrying them (I saw them at K-Mart), and they have the new latch on the sides.  This is easily the best, the sturdiest, and the cheapest (4.00 give or take per case) case on the market for loose figures.  I've been using them since 2000, and I could not store my figures in anything else.  I even loaded up on these and the 3750 above so I would have room for the ROTS figures.

You can find the Plano cases in the fishing tacklebox section of your local WM or K-Mart, but KM seems to be the only place that has the 3700 "Classic" right now.  Trust me, Jared, I swear by these things.  I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Oh, and the only figure I have that does not fit in either the 3700 or the 3750 is Shaak Ti from Saga, believe it or not.

SilverZ

« Reply #27 on: April 3, 2005, 05:23 PM »
Thanks a lot, guys.

I found out more about the old Shimano cases from Walmart. They've been discontinued, and are now being manufactured with a slightly retooled mold by some company called "Arapaho" which Walmart is carrying, though I've checked several other Walmarts since finding them, without luck. I also found a place online that carries them and ordered 12. I prefer these cases since they are deep and have rounded bottoms to the compartments, which gives a bit more storage to fit larger figures.

I did manage to find five 3700s at Sportmart ($3.99) this afternoon, which are my first Plano cases. I like that they have more flexibility in how you can place the dividers, much more so than the Shimano/Arapaho ones. I can fit taller figures while still allowing enough room for a shorty in the compartment above.

I'm just going to mix and match as they seem to work fine stacked together.

There are still quite a few figures that won't fit in either case, at least comfortably. For those, I'm using the little plastic blisters sold on wholesalecases.com, and they work fine, with the only problem being I need to now get a storage container to store the containers storing the figures.  ;)

I'm about 1/4 of the way through re-storing all of my loose collection. Whoa, boy... fun times.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2005, 05:26 PM by Tydirium »

SilverZ

« Reply #28 on: April 7, 2005, 03:38 AM »
Just a follow-up on my quest for massive amounts of storage cases:

I found a dandy little supplement case today which has come in real handy - the Plano 3730 (I think this is the case you mentioned in a post last year, DocP). It is basically the same as the 3700 but 31/3" deep, which is enough to house all of the oddball figures that don't fit the standard case, like most of the dressier Padmes, the AOTC extreme-posed Jedi like Luminara, and the Sneak Preview Wookiee Warrior. The only problem is with how I've layed out the dividers. I've created three smaller compartments in the last row of the case. But what works out is that they fit 3 astromech droids stored upright perfectly.

I found the case at Sportmart. I've been checking every Sportmart I can find, and each has had completely different cases in the fishing department.
« Last Edit: April 7, 2005, 03:39 AM by Tydirium »

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 7, 2005, 11:29 AM »
Yeah, the 3730 is actually helpful in that it "lines up" perfectly with the regular 3700 (at least before they changed the latch sysem) and it gives you a deeper slot (har har) to put the larger figures in.  I don't see this case nearly as often as the other models, but out of the way K-Marts often have them lying around at bizarre times of the year.  This time of year is also the best time to be picking the Plano cases up, as sporting goods sections are stocking a lot of fishing equipment and this type of case is in demand from both the target market for such things, and from action figure collectors.

I also thought I would post and let everyone know on who will and won't fit in the cases.  Not everyone will lay flat in the 3700, but I've managed to get all the Amidala figures into the regular 3700 case without fail.   That said, here's who won't fit in the 3700 whatsoever, and what cases they will fit in:

POTF2:  Darktrooper (3730, 3750), Muftak (3730, 3750)
TPM:  Graxxol Kelvyyn (3730, 3750), Darth Maul (from Tatooine Showdown Cinema Scene; 3750)
POTJ: 
Saga 2002:  Shaak Ti (3730), Dexter Jettster (3730, 3750), Luminara Unduli (3730, 3750), Ephant Mon (won't fit anywhere), Deluxe Mace Windu (3730, 3750)
Saga 2003:  Mace Windu (3730, 3750), Chewbacca (from DS Trash Compactor set; 3730, 3750), Barris Offee (3750, but only with cloak removed and placed alongside her)
Clone Wars:  Rodian and Human Jedi (from three pack; 3730, 3750)
Clone Wars Animated:  ARC Trooper (3730, 3750), Count Dooku (3730, 3750), Durge (3730, 3750), Asaaj Ventress (3730, 3750), Obi-Wan (3730, 3750), General Grievous (3750, but only after removing his head)
Saga 2004:  Rappertunie (3730, 3750, but this is if you want to keep his harmonica and base with him), Budo (3730, 3750)
ROTS: Deluxe Darth Sidious/Palpatine (3730, 3750)

I've also found that the 3730 is an excellent case to hold accessories that are larger (such as Big Ass Cannons) and to keep stuff from the accessory packs (TPM or Saga) together so they won't get mixed in with regular figures.  They also work pretty well for storing bases, but a lot of times, I just use a regular Rubbermaid container to hold all of those.