Author Topic: Any pro digital photographers in the house?  (Read 22091 times)

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: Any pro digital photographers in the house?
« Reply #15 on: October 8, 2008, 10:54 PM »
There's certainly no shame in that.  I didn't want to either... but at the same time I did. ;D  I started with the camera, had that for a while, then decided to upgrade the lens. 

I think that's probably what will happen with me too.  Looking at the prices, it seems like the the "kits" are less than $100 more than just the body.  I can't get any lenses for that price.  I'm going to have to take a couple baby steps.  Its too bad because I really want a nice camera and I know eventually I'm going to want both Macro and Telephoto lenses.  ::)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 8, 2008, 11:06 PM »
In all seriousness, if you are interested, you can have my Canon kit lens for less than $100.  $50 would thrill me.  I just don't use it any more (and it's barely used).

« Last Edit: October 8, 2008, 11:06 PM by Rob »

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 6, 2008, 10:09 AM »
Well, last night I took the plunge.  With clearance from my wife ("Dont' expect any christmas presents"), I bought a Canon 50D Kit (28-135 IS lens) which was bundled with an additional 70-300mm IS lens.  The whole set-up was twice as much as I ever intended to spend but after my research online and after holding the cameras, I just couldn't put the 50D down.  It felt so much more rugged than the Rebel cameras.

I'm really looking forward to getting out and using this camera.  I still want to get a Macro lens but I think I need to wait for a while on that one.

Thanks for all your input guys. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 6, 2008, 10:21 AM »
Congrats on the camera.  Sounds like a really nice machine.  I think the ruggedness is a very appealing feature.  I never did mention that the D80 is a much heavier body.  I really don't like plastic-y cameras either, they need to be sturdy. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 6, 2008, 10:31 AM »
Ooooh, the 50D is new and I hadn't even heard about it yet.  Checking out a review real quick it looks like a lot of camera for the price. 

I'll take a good look at that one when I upgrade.

Congrats.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #20 on: November 6, 2008, 03:31 PM »
My wife has a nice HP digital camera which does a good job.  I would still like to get a nice digital SLR though.  I still have my Minolta 400si, which is a nice camera (I've had it nearly 10 years), but would really like a nice digital camera...it would be probably be easier than eventually trying to convert the downstairs bathroom into a darkroom.   :D

That camera you bought Brent looks awesome.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 6, 2008, 03:51 PM »
Thanks guys.  The funny thing is around how technology changes.  I didn't buy a new CF card for this camera.  I was pretty sure it didn't come with one but I knew I had a couple extra from my old Nikon point and click (maybe 3 yrs old).  I dig those cards out and low and behold the largest one I had was 256MB!  I'm using a 2GB SD card on my point and click these days.  I'm not sure if I'll be able to get more than a very small handful of pictures on these CF cards that I have.  So I'm going to head off to Best Buy again soon and pick one up so I can really play with the camera  :-\

I was hoping to wait until the Thanksgiving day specials to get a dirt cheap memory card (or cards).

Regardless, I'm going to try an test it out on my sons floor hockey games tomorrow night and see what sort of zoom I can get with the action shots.  The weather here turned awfully grey today so I don't expect any decent outdoor shots anytime soon.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #22 on: November 6, 2008, 07:43 PM »
Just wait for the first snow....and take the pics before you let the dog out.   :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 6, 2008, 08:31 PM »
On memory cards... I recommend not using enormous ones.  The last time I was shopping for one they sold up to 8 GB cards.  If you get into the habit of filling large cards up, you run the risk of losing more photos if one dies. 

I've got a 2 gig card and a 1 gig card.  2 gigs is probably the largest I'd ever use.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 6, 2008, 11:33 PM »

I've got a 2 gig card and a 1 gig card.  2 gigs is probably the largest I'd ever use.

That's a good idea.  I'm real good at downloading photos off my cards onto my PC (not so good about backing up the PC  :-\).  The only reason I like bigger capacity cards is that it makes it easier to not change cards on long trips. 

Do you guys know much about "high speed" CF cards?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 6, 2008, 11:45 PM »
I'm not sure how much of it is gimmick or not, but if the speed factor is legit, it makes sense to me to get faster cards for digital SLR's.  The files are big (especially if you shoot RAW), and you can shoot faster if the camera can write faster.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 7, 2008, 01:01 PM »
We normally run a 1 GB card in the Nikon and never had a problem with write speeds, even with RAW files.  Unexceptional SD card.  Scored a great deal on 4 x 2 GB SD cards a while back for $25.  I thought it was a great deal anyway. 

Oddly I normally use an Olympus at home and the cards they take are a pain in the ass to find.  xD.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2008, 02:48 AM »
Well, last night I took the plunge.  With clearance from my wife ("Dont' expect any christmas presents"), I bought a Canon 50D Kit (28-135 IS lens) which was bundled with an additional 70-300mm IS lens.  The whole set-up was twice as much as I ever intended to spend but after my research online and after holding the cameras, I just couldn't put the 50D down.  It felt so much more rugged than the Rebel cameras.

I'm really looking forward to getting out and using this camera.  I still want to get a Macro lens but I think I need to wait for a while on that one.

Thanks for all your input guys. 

Have you gotten a chance to take it for a spin yet?

I just figured out that I could get between $350 and $400 for my existing Digital Rebel kit... so I'm considering selling it before it loses the rest of its value and upgrading to the 50D.

Also, can I ask where you got it and roughly how much you guys paid?  I'm seeing it listed on Calumet's website (body only) for $1198 after an instant rebate.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2008, 11:54 AM »

Have you gotten a chance to take it for a spin yet?

Yes, I have played with a little bit.  When I hold it, I realize how much I forgot about camera settings.  However, here are a few sample images that I did take, mostly with automatic settings and the "kit" lens that is 28-135mm.

Around my neighborhood (on trash day no less  ;)).  We had some really nice sun that day.  Now we are entering the "gray" season.

I also took it to the gym last week to shoot some of my son's floor hockey.  I was VERY pleased with the action settings and the lighting of the picture.  My point and shoot can't touch this sort of output:

(EDIT: I had to lower the rez on this image so it looks a bit more pixelated here on Photobucket)

I absolutely love the burst mode.  6 frames per second is awesome!  I'm really looking forward to trying it out next spring for baseball.

I'm going to put the 70-300mm telephoto lens on it tonight for floor hockey. 

Also, can I ask where you got it and roughly how much you guys paid?  I'm seeing it listed on Calumet's website (body only) for $1198 after an instant rebate.

I got mine at Best Buy on-sale from $2100.  That was the body, the 28-135mm "kit" lens, and the 70-300mm lens.  Both of the lenses are image stabilized (not sure if that is "normal" for all lenses now or not).  Again, it was about twice as much as I wanted to spend but I'm real happy so far. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 11:55 AM by BrentS »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2008, 01:49 AM »
Thanks for the updates.  I've been reading pretty good things about it and am seriously considering buying one this week and selling my Digital Rebel XT before it loses all of its resell value.