Author Topic: Any pro digital photographers in the house?  (Read 22090 times)

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Any pro digital photographers in the house?
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2008, 12:20 PM »
So I went ahead and ordered a 50d body just now.  I'm excited about it.

If anyone is interested in buying a slightly used, but extremely well cared for and fully operational Digital Rebel XT with the (even less used) lens and an extra battery, PM me.

If not, it's going on eBay once the new camera gets here.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2008, 11:27 PM »
So I went ahead and ordered a 50d body just now.  I'm excited about it.

If anyone is interested in buying a slightly used, but extremely well cared for and fully operational Digital Rebel XT with the (even less used) lens and an extra battery, PM me.

If not, it's going on eBay once the new camera gets here.

Congrats Rob.  Glad you pushed me and I then I pushed you.

Make sure you go get some CF cards as the new camera doesn't use the SD media.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2008, 11:34 PM »
Thanks.    :)

I've got a pair of CF cards - the Canon I have no takes those too.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2008, 11:44 PM »
New camera is here - and while I haven't really gotten to test drive it, I'm digging it.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #34 on: January 2, 2009, 07:02 PM »
We (the wife and I) received a Nikon D60 for Xmas this year that included a 18-55 AF-S VR lens and today I ordered from B&H a Nikon 55-200 AF-S VR telephoto lens.  8)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 2, 2009, 08:06 PM »
I think the D60 is about the same quality as the D80 was.  A bit confusing in terms of the numbering, but I'm pretty sure the D80 has few, if any features the D60 doesn't now have.  I'm still lovin' my D80 though. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 2, 2009, 11:40 PM »
I absolutely love the Canon 50D that I got before Thanksgiving.  I'm still trying to work on using more "manual" modes.  I've got some good photos for sure.  I'm even thinking about taking a class at the local community college.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2009, 08:59 PM »
So my wife has been complaining about our point and shoot for a couple years now and has really wanted to get a digital SLR camera.  She got an award at work and finally decided she'd had enough.  She bought herself a Canon Digital Rebel XSi (12.2 MP).  It's definitely not the high end 50D that BrentS and Rob were able to get, but it's a lot better than the 4MP Nikon we have now.  It came with an EF-S 18-55mm, but I think I'm going to start saving up my money now to get her a 55-250mm lense for her birthday.  She used to really be into photography when she was in college and I'm hoping that she gets back into it.

She also wants to be able to print pictures at home.  Any of you guys have recommendations for good photo printers?  Do any of you guys print up your own pictures or do you take them somewhere to get developed?  If there really isn't a good home option for printing pictures, I'm hoping I can deter another big purchase and instead convince her to just bring them somewhere professional to get developed.  Any advice you can give is appreciated.  Thanks.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2009, 10:54 PM »
Congrats on the purchase.  If you want to test out my 70-300mm lens you're more than welcome too.

As far as printing at home, everything I've read says Epson makes the best printers and make sure you get archival ink and paper.  I don't have a great photo printer at home these days, but in the past, the Epson printers I used never let me down.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 1, 2009, 10:36 PM »
My wife surprised me by letting me get an early birthday present - a new lens for my camera.  Our daughter is going to make her first communion this May and my wife wanted me to take some nice portraits of her in her communion dress.  So I thought I could kill two birds with one stone and get a nice Macro lens for the 50D.  I know that Macro Lenses are very popular for portrait photography.  So I went online shopping and settled on the Canon 60mm f/2.8 USM lens.  It arrived today and I put it to use early this evening.

Here's a few test shots from an amateur that doesn't have any idea what he's doing:

All of these are unedited - no corrections or cropping.  I'm quite pleased by the perfomance of this straight out of the box  ;D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 01:21 PM by BrentS »

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 2, 2009, 12:26 AM »
Woah, looking good.  It looks like you are going to be very happy with that purchase.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 2, 2009, 11:06 AM »
That's some sweet bokeh.
"Really?  Sorry."

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2009, 07:57 PM »
So I'm pretty much the world's most careful person when it comes to handling my camera.  On Friday I was walking around the Intrepid in NYC and stepped through a bulk-head door (the kind you have to step over a 10" high metal plate of sorts and walk through the opening.  I had my camera in my hand and lifted my foot high enough that I managed to put it through the strap that was hanging low to the ground.  I basically yanked the camera out of my hand with my foot and it slammed into the metal floor (couldn't have done this in a carpeted room...).  The top of the lens is dented and the filter is shattered.  It still takes pictures (miraculously the camera body seems fine), but it's bent badly enough that unscrewing the filter is impossible.   :'(

So it's getting sent to Canon tomorrow for what I expect will be a few hundred dollars worth of repair.

So even if you're careful, be more careful.   :-\

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2009, 08:03 PM »
Oh, man...bummer.

That sucks, brotha.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2009, 08:38 PM »
Sorry to hear about that Rob. What type of lens did you damage? Was it the one the came with the camera? If so, you might be better off just getting a new (more versatile) lens versus repairing OEM equipment plus the added cost of shipping it in for service.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 08:39 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird