Author Topic: Any pro digital photographers in the house?  (Read 22088 times)

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: Any pro digital photographers in the house?
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2009, 09:03 PM »
That sucks Rob.  Good luck.  If I recall correctly, you had a pretty nice USM lens for that camera too.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 1, 2009, 01:20 AM »
Thanks for the sympathies guys - I'll let you know what the damage is once I hear in case anyone needs more reminding to be careful with their gear.  :)

Sorry to hear about that Rob. What type of lens did you damage? Was it the one the came with the camera? If so, you might be better off just getting a new (more versatile) lens versus repairing OEM equipment plus the added cost of shipping it in for service.

No dice.  It was a canon f2.8 24:70 L-series.

:-[
« Last Edit: June 1, 2009, 01:25 AM by Rob »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 1, 2009, 05:04 PM »
The total so far:  $34.00

This is for UPS ground with $1200 worth of insurance just to the repair center.  More updates as they happen.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 5, 2009, 03:50 PM »
I got the repair bill today.

$225, plus the $34 to ship, plus I'll need to buy a new filter.  It could have been worse, but it still sucks. :'(

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #49 on: June 5, 2009, 07:46 PM »
Shame so much for such a quick accident.

Still at least they could repair it.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 6, 2009, 01:07 AM »
Yep.  Could have been worse.

If you have a neck strap, use it at all times.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2009, 01:29 PM »
Not sure if this is exactly the right thread for this or not.  However, I wanted to update with some new Digi Photos that I took with my Canon 50D this summer - we took a trip to Alaska as a family vacation.  Talk about some breath-taking scenery!

Sorry for the photo-overload.  I can start a new thread if that is preferred.

On that same trip we stopped at the Buchart Gardens in Victoria, BC

and finally... Seattle, WA:

Needless to say, I'm loving this digital camera.  Some of those pictures (especially the whales and sea lions on the buoy) were taken with a pro series "L" lens that a friend of mine let me borrow.  After that trip,  I'm stepping up my game this Christmas to - my wife has left me get a pro-series lens - the 70-200mm f4/L IS USM version.  My first foray into "white glass" for myself.

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2009, 02:13 PM »
Brent, those are some pretty awesome shots, my man! I myself have an Olympus E410 with 14-42mm and 45-150mm kit lenses, of which I use the former 80% of the time. A couple of months ago I bought an Olympus FL-50 flash and let me tell ya, that's been a very, very useful investment. I also have a tri-pod on the way.

Back to your shots.... Alaska looks awesome! The waterfalls however, could've been more interesting had you used a slower shutter speed  ;)

Here´s some shots I made a while ago (clickable thumbs):

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2009, 02:20 PM »
Nice pics Brent!  Where in Alaska did you go?  I used to live up in North Pole, just outside of Fairbanks.  I loved my time there and would move back in a heartbeat!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2010, 07:20 PM »
Was wondering what you guys use to protect your camera from rains.  I'm planning on going on a cruise to Alaska this September and not sure what product is best to protect my D60 from the rain.  I have been looking at stuff on Amazon but not sure what actually is worth it or not to buy.  Thanks for any help.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2010, 07:39 PM »
Was wondering what you guys use to protect your camera from rains.  I'm planning on going on a cruise to Alaska this September and not sure what product is best to protect my D60 from the rain.  I have been looking at stuff on Amazon but not sure what actually is worth it or not to buy.  Thanks for any help.

You can protect the camera body with something as simple as a plastic bag.  This is something that the videographers in my company do as a matter of course when there's bad weather and they must shoot outside.  But if you need to change lenses, be sure to wipe everything down before hand and make the lens change somewhere that's under cover.

As for the lens, I'd recommend a few things.  First, get some filters for your lens.  I try not to expose the lens itself.  Hoya's filter kit is a good starting point.  I like to keep a neutral density filter on the lens of my Nikon D-50 whenever I shoot outside.  And a lens hood will help keep any water droplets from getting on the filter.  Last, keep a lens cleaning cloth with you.  You can try really hard to keep the lens dry.  But if you get some water on it you're going to want any appropriate cleaning cloth to dry it off.  And those are $10 or so.

Oh, and BrentS...AWESOME PICS!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 07:42 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2010, 07:59 PM »
Here are some things that I shot this past fall....

"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2010, 11:41 AM »
Was wondering what you guys use to protect your camera from rains.  I'm planning on going on a cruise to Alaska this September and not sure what product is best to protect my D60 from the rain.  I have been looking at stuff on Amazon but not sure what actually is worth it or not to buy.  Thanks for any help.

You can protect the camera body with something as simple as a plastic bag.  This is something that the videographers in my company do as a matter of course when there's bad weather and they must shoot outside.  But if you need to change lenses, be sure to wipe everything down before hand and make the lens change somewhere that's under cover.

As for the lens, I'd recommend a few things.  First, get some filters for your lens.  I try not to expose the lens itself.  Hoya's filter kit is a good starting point.  I like to keep a neutral density filter on the lens of my Nikon D-50 whenever I shoot outside.  And a lens hood will help keep any water droplets from getting on the filter.  Last, keep a lens cleaning cloth with you.  You can try really hard to keep the lens dry.  But if you get some water on it you're going to want any appropriate cleaning cloth to dry it off.  And those are $10 or so.

Oh, and BrentS...AWESOME PICS!

Thanks Nicklab for you information. 

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2010, 12:04 PM »
Finally found the right deal on the right camera and bought a Nikon D5000 a couple of weeks ago.  Took on the beach vacation to put it through the paces, and I'm pleased.  Here's a few samples from the trip.

This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2010, 12:08 PM »
never mind....they fixed themselves.

....and then they flipped again.  dammit.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 01:48 PM by name »
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.