Author Topic: Master Phruby's Customs Thread  (Read 128976 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Master Phruby's Custom Creations thread
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2005, 08:12 PM »
I've finished my version of Mara Jade from the Mysteries of the Sith add on game for Dark Forces II. I've been chronicalizing the development of this figure over the past week over at Rebelscum's custom board. She is made from a GI Joe Jinx head, Scarlette torso and lower legs, Hoth leia jacket, droid factory Padme arms and Han Solo upper legs. This is a replacement makeover over my first version you can see here.

« Last Edit: September 2, 2005, 12:21 PM by Jeff »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Mara Jade
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2005, 11:31 PM »
I've been following your thread there.  It looks really good, and your hard work has paid off.  Well done!!!   :)

:P

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 1, 2005, 09:39 AM »
Thanks Chewie! :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #33 on: March 1, 2005, 12:27 PM »
I was keeping up with the topic too Paul, thanks for sharing the finished figure.

It's a better head using the Jinx figure I think...  Much more true to the MOTS box cover.  I'm still not sold on the torso though really, only because I think the Star Wars line lends itself better to the overall "look".

I think a torso like Droid Factory Padme's perhaps would've worked better maybe?  I wasn't a big fan of the Joe torso idea ever...  Joes are only good for accessories and heads I've found, though you did blend the lower leg with the Han Cantina upper legs quite well.

As a secondary choice, and I think you used this on your previous attempt, I think the Aura Sing body's superior to grafting a Joe torso as well.

I think the smaller Jinx head would've set better on a smaller SW figure torso then too, and it could've been grafted to the Han legs to make a curvy woman's figure. 

The accuracy of the figure seems pretty good though overall...  The paintjob seems pretty good too, keeping true to the character on the box, though the skin seems pale.  Easily could be the camera flash though.

My only other suggestion beyond the torso was perhaps trying to use the Luke Ceremonial jacket over Hoth Leia's...  Leia's is a bit small, kind of untrue to the look on the box, but the Luke's is the exact style.  I don't know if the "exagerrated" chest on the Luke figure (and subsequently his coat) would have benefited fitting her, ummm, "attributes", haha. :)

Good work Paul!  She needs a Dark Kyle to fight now though! 

I don't see many MOTS Mara's ever surface with her purple saber.  To me, the purple saber was her trademark more than the Luke saber really...  It gave her some distinction.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 1, 2005, 04:13 PM »
Thanks man. I'm glad you liked it. I tried the Luke jacket on her. The joe body totally swam in it. It made her look like a little girl wearing her father's jacket. My first version of this Mara Jade used that jacket. It just wasn't very fitting.

The problem I had with the Jinx head was the skin was very pale but then again many red heads are very pale. Instead of painting the face and screwing it up completely to give her a better complexion, I painted the body instead. Every time I try to paint a face, it looks like Ronald McDonald.   :-\

I wish more people would make work in progress threads and take suggestions along the way. Of course, It's not easy to not totally flame someone on their criticism after you've spent many hours trying to get it just right. Maybe that is why we rarely see these kind of threads. I think it's good to take opinions and try to improve it along the way. It makes me a better customizer. Even though it is kind of a painful experience.

Do you have any reference pictures of the dark Kyle?

What figures do you have planned Jesse?

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2005, 09:36 AM »
Well my version of Luke's old girlfriend Callista is finally done. Check her out. I've made a few changes to her per your ideas. The hair is different, she has a choker, and the vest has piping and two colors - (brown/red and brown/purple)

« Last Edit: April 30, 2005, 12:39 PM by Master_Phruby »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Callista
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2005, 11:01 AM »
Looks good.  You put a lot of work into this one.

I honestly never like this character, but your custom of it is very well done and fits in well.  I'd like to see a photo of her with Luke maybe.

Also, in one of the novels doesn't she go to Hoth with Luke?  Maybe you could make a sexy snow bunny outfit version of her.   :)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2005, 12:07 PM »
Thanks Chewie!  ;D I just might have to make a snow bunny character. I think Winter with her white hair would be a pretty unsually hot snow bunny.

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
  • Kneel...kneel before Wobb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2005, 01:47 PM »
I said before I thought Master Phruby's recipe would become the template for all future Callista's...looks like he proved me right.

I like this fig a lot. The only suggestions I would make would be sculpting her hairstyle to look more like the reference pic, and maybe taking her down a bit in the gloss department, but those are minor quibbles. It turned out great. (Love the soft goods, by the way!)

-DD
Back from the dead!!!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2005, 05:44 PM »
Thanks DD. I need to put the dull cote on tonight. I should try to mess with the hair a little too.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Callista - updated changes
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2005, 12:40 PM »
She has been updated.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2005, 03:48 PM »
Cool! The vest color is a much better match. The hair looks real good too, it still is a tad shiney but that could just be the flash. Keep up the great work! :)
"This is the way."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 1, 2005, 08:59 PM »
Great job on the hair.  It no longer looks like a Padme head.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 2, 2005, 09:45 AM »
Thanks for your help guys. I think she looks better too.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2005, 03:51 PM »
Here is my version of Shaa'gi.