Author Topic: Master Phruby's Customs Thread  (Read 128947 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Mongo Beefhead Jedi
« Reply #90 on: August 8, 2005, 12:27 AM »
 Isn't  the beefhead figure a hoax or joke of some kind?  I don't think it was ever a serious attempt at a figure.  Could be wrong.

Well he is in that presentation flipbook that Kenner used to sell the idea of more star wars figures. You should see some of the droids that are pictured too. There is one of 4lon without a head holding up a gun with two 2-1B arms coming out of his sholders. I plan on making him someday.

This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Owen D

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Owens Customs
« Reply #91 on: August 8, 2005, 12:36 AM »
 Isn't  the beefhead figure a hoax or joke of some kind?  I don't think it was ever a serious attempt at a figure.  Could be wrong.

Well he is in that presentation flipbook that Kenner used to sell the idea of more star wars figures. You should see some of the droids that are pictured too. There is one of 4lon without a head holding up a gun with two 2-1B arms coming out of his sholders. I plan on making him someday.

Yeah, I'm not so sure now.  I went to ToysrGus to see what he had written but it wasn't in the flip book info.  It might be on a different page.  I could have sworn that someone at Kenner made the Mongo as a goof or a deliberate attempt to throw people off the trail.  Or perhaps as just a test to see what could be done with different parts, I don't think it was ever intended for release on any level.  I find it highly unlikely they would have used the head with the neck peg sticking out or to have used the name Beefhead (Walrusman and Hammerhead aside).
Don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline RollaJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • Twisted by the Dark Side
    • View Profile
    • Coreplanets.com
« Reply #92 on: August 8, 2005, 05:18 PM »
I think this would be a very cool idea for the monthly thing!  Of course, you really don't have many choices to do though.  I have the star wars galaxy mag at home that shows all these pics.  They also had an attachment for the millennium falcon that hooked into the fork in the front.  There are more figures that you havent seen as well.  Maybe I can scan the mag's pages that relate to this.
W W W . C O R E P L A N E T S . C O M
www.coreplanets.com
Missouri and Kansas Star Wars Fan Site

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 8, 2005, 07:55 PM »
Rolla, if you scan them it would be awesome.   :)

:P

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 9, 2005, 08:07 AM »
haha, that is awesome. I never kenw about Kenners plans of that stuff, very cool.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2005, 12:50 PM »
Thanks! I plan on making all of the characters from that cancelled era.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Master Phruby's Custom Creations thread
« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2005, 09:39 PM »
Here is my version of Carnor Jax. Sorry I don't have the axe done yet. :P

Offline aeseven7

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Carnor Jax
« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2005, 09:47 PM »
While i like the overall figure, i would have went with a non glossy red for the "clothing" parts of the figure.

The JOE head was a good choice but again, the hair always seemed more brown/dk brown to me.

The helmet i would have liked to see the outer most part be a gloss black as it is in the comics.  Gives it that more sinister look rather than Kir Kanos' all red helmet.

The belt seems to stand out just a bit being silver, i may have went with black.

And to add that final last touch to the armor, it would have been cool to see a nice semi gloss black to give it a nice gleam.

But still, a nice custom and i look forward to seeing the double bladed weapon that he and Kanos uses.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2005, 10:13 PM »
For some reason this character never appealed to me, but I do think this is a great custom, and probably a lot better than what I could come up with...

I agree that maybe a non-glossy looking red color would look a little better, but then again it could just be the flash.  Also, I would suggest just a touch of dry brushing to bring out more details and look just a little more worn in.

The helmet looks just awesome.  Truly a great job painting it, it looks production quality.  Wow... do you have a pic with him with the helmet on?

:P

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2005, 10:23 PM »
The helmet goes about 3/4 of the way on. Any more and I would have holes in the helmet.  :-\

I wish I had some gloss in this color but I just went with the paints I had.

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2005, 06:38 PM »
The helmet goes about 3/4 of the way on. Any more and I would have holes in the helmet.  :-\

I wish I had some gloss in this color but I just went with the paints I had.

maybe you could have done a swappable head. that'd still be really cool.

Really cool figure. and you should make two axes. one for Kir Kanos, so they can duel. haha  ;D

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2005, 01:13 AM »
That's probably the best solution. Swappable heads. I'm glad you like it.

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2005, 11:20 AM »
Nice custom Phruby  :)
I like the silver belt, but I agree with aeseven7 on his other points - a less glossy paint would have been nice, but if you don't have them, it's no biggie.
I think a softgoods cloak/cape would have been better, but that's just because I'm a big fan of softgoods.  Is that a SP Gen. Grievous cloak?  It looks like it fits pretty well.
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2005, 11:27 AM »
Good eye on the Grevious cloak. I had to trim it down a bit to make it work. I'm going to be making another version of this character soon taking aesevens advice and yours about the softgoods into account since this one is up on auction.

Oops. I shouldn't have told you that. ;)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2005, 05:54 PM »
Phruby- you should make your own thread like a lot of us have. I really like this custom. The paint app looks really good, albeit a bit glossy. But that is nothing a little dullcote won't fix. :) I like the sawppable head idea, what you could also try is using a POTF2 royaol guard helmet hollowed out. I've used it before and it looks pretty good.
"This is the way."