Author Topic: Prologue: Republic Intelligence  (Read 7079 times)

Offline GGPiKE

• Youngling
  • ppka
    • View Profile
Prologue: Republic Intelligence
« on: September 3, 2005, 05:02 PM »
Labyrinth of Evil: The following takes place in the final hour leading up on the attack on Coruscant. The Republic Intelligence photo novel will began immediately after the Battle of Geonosis.

. . . To Be Continued!!!!!

« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 06:33 PM by GGPiKE »

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Photo Novel: Republic Intelligence
« Reply #1 on: September 3, 2005, 05:16 PM »
Excellent! :) I love it GGPike!

I think you did a great job with the lighting, I really like the blueish color. I'm really liking how you used speech bubbles it gives it a comic type feel to it. The effects are great too. Those dioramas are really cool as well. And aside from the cinematography, there is a great story in there. :)

Keep it up I really look forward to seeing more! :)
"This is the way."

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 3, 2005, 06:06 PM »
WOW!

This is GREAT!

I don't have time for detailed comments, will post more later.

But the "look" is fantastic!  The lighting, the dramatic use of camera angles, the amazing effects (Force lightening NEVER looked so cool - even in the films!).

A wonderful, amazing effort!  Keep it up!!
Sith Lords Are Our Speciality

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 3, 2005, 06:35 PM »
AMAZING!

This is excellent! The lighting, shots, and effects were VERY realistic and added a lot to it. That lightning is amazing! I felt like I was watching a movie. Definately the most realistic looking photonovel we've had here!

Excellent job, please keep it up!
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 4, 2005, 05:08 PM »
Holy ****. That was one of the coolest PN chapters I have ever read. This has HUGE potential IMO. I love the sith lightening effects and the stylized feel. You must do more!

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 4, 2005, 06:01 PM »
GGPike, this is outstanding!  Wow... right out of "Labrynth of Evil" right?

I am amazed at how cool these pics all look, and it's a combination of your photography and editing.

My favorite shot is the Battle Droids sitting down at the computers.  That's so damn awesome.  Well done!  I can not wait to see more!

:P

Offline GGPiKE

• Youngling
  • ppka
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 6, 2005, 11:49 PM »
Thanks guys. I appreciate your responses! This story, though short, took me a while to complete with all the other things in life going on (Chewie, I'm sure you can attest to that!) The lightning effects along with any other effects were done in photoshop. Took a little bit to get the hang of it, but once you get it . . . oh man it's so awesome.

The whole thing was a ton of fun to shoot, especially since it was in the dark. I forgot how many times I tripped on who knows what while shooting. Seriously though, if it wasn't for all of your photonovels, this thing would have never been attempted. Of course now I'm hooked!

The story line will follow Republic Intelligence and Captain Dyne's succesor. It is a spinoff of LOE, in that it will pick up where Dyne's team failed. I hope I'll be able to carry the story as well as you all say I'm doing.

Please, any input as far as storyline etc are welcome!! Chewie if you would like to, let me know how your story is progressing  . . .  a possible crossover or cameo would be awesome in either of our photonovels!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 7, 2005, 05:07 PM »
GGPike, I'm very glad that you chose to make this and share it with us.  I really, really like it and am amazed at how real it looks.

A cross over could be a possibility I suppose.  My Rykrof Enloe series is only about a year into the Clone Wars, so I still have a timeline of about 2 years to cover before I'll hit the ROTS era, so that's several stories I need to catch up on first.  And I definitely don't want to hold you up.

Do you have any plans for any fan-fic stories?  With your own set of characters?

:P

Offline GGPiKE

• Youngling
  • ppka
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 7, 2005, 07:32 PM »
Well, this is something that is going to take a while for me to complete each story, so that's fine. I hope that I'll be able to get a system down for shooting and editing . . . this one took care of some of the guess work so it should help.

The story will essentially be a fanfic, the main character will be my own along with others in the story. Right now I'm trying to obtain the figures/parts I'll need to get them together. So far the main character is ready to go, along with some key characters in the story. Others are just conceptualized and are in the making. This takes up a lot of damn time! I am considering doing some flashbacks (like in LOST) during the story. . . I'll see how viable that is as I go along.

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 7, 2005, 09:54 PM »
The movies paint a somewhat simplistic view of the hieararchy of the Army of the Republic.  In the films, there are only Jedi "generals" clones.

I like how you add another layer of command structure with non-Jedis.  I would like to see the relationship between the various branches and organizations touched upon a bit.

Any advice/instructions you could give on how you used photoshop to create the lighting would be very helpful!  I am very much a photoshop newb and I really need to make my photonovels a little more visually interesting and complex.

I will still comment more about the story so far a little later.  But it's great!
Sith Lords Are Our Speciality

Offline GGPiKE

• Youngling
  • ppka
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 7, 2005, 11:01 PM »
Use the following how to as a guideline. I've also typed out how I've done it.
http://www.pslover.com/click/3656

This is how I did lightning. First you create a new layer. Press D to reset the colors. Then, once you're working in that layer, select whatever you area you want the lightning to be in, in the picture. I usually just lasso the area. Once you've done that, go into your filters and render clouds. Next apply the render difference clouds. Now invert the difference clouds (ctrl + I ). Next change the levels (ctrl + L) Set the middle input level to .1 Now it should look like lightning. Once you have that done, adjust the hue/saturation. Make sure you check the colorize box. Then you adjust the lightning color to how you want it. Now what isn't on the tutorials is how you can make the lightning look like it's actually part of the picture. I did this by changing the setting in the layers window. I changed it from normal to Color Dodge. This makes it more realistic. 

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
  • Kneel...kneel before Wobb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2005, 04:06 PM »
This was awesome. First of all, the lighting and effects were amazing. Second, the angles were incredibly well done, and I liked the added touches of the Republic symbols used when the clones were talking on their internal comlinks. It was also great to see a chapter straight out of LOE. Very well done all around.

My only minor quibble is that the first strike against Valiant in LOE was from Geonosians using their sonic blasters...it's described as crushing the captain's insides so fiercely they almost liquify. That would have been interesting to see here, especially with your mastery of the special effects.

-DD
Back from the dead!!!

Offline Tijuanajedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ay Chichona!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 02:14 AM »
Damn, I loved it, I hope your hero gets out of it, and those dios are out of this world.

Superb.

Offline GGPiKE

• Youngling
  • ppka
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2005, 05:16 PM »
My only minor quibble is that the first strike against Valiant in LOE was from Geonosians using their sonic blasters...it's described as crushing the captain's insides so fiercely they almost liquify. That would have been interesting to see here, especially with your mastery of the special effects.

Well for one thing, when I shot this, I had no geonosians . . . so I decided just to take some liberty with how it was played out. Since I've shot it, I got my hands on a couple of geonosians, one with a sonic blaster. Also, the droids that were with sidious were assasin droids . . . and I've gotten some of those (IG-88's) since then. But I really thought that it would be fun to have sidious do the honors. Maybe I'll go back and shoot it word for word like it was played out in LOE sometime.

Oh and Tijuanajedi . . . if you haven't read LOE (or if you have and missed it) Captain Dyne doesn't make it :( I have another character that will be taking Dyne's place though. I really like Dyne's character and his role throughout LOE. On the upside, Dyne will be reappearing during some flashbacks during the story. If anyone has a suggestion for the name of Dyne's replacement, let me know.

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
  • Kneel...kneel before Wobb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2005, 10:45 PM »
I'd like to see the story revised to make it more accurate to LOE...but then, LOE wasn't accurate to the third season of the Clone Wars, so what are you gonna do?  ;D

All in all, this is a great jumping off point, and I can't wait for more!

-DD
Back from the dead!!!