Author Topic: Ryan's Customs - Updated 3/15/08... Seriously.  (Read 34940 times)

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan's Customs - Updated 6/27/06
« Reply #120 on: June 27, 2006, 06:08 PM »
Finally someones doing Rogues! ( or at least a reasonable facsimile thereof ;D)The machanic is awesome. He reminds me alot of the old 60's G.I.Joe Pilot. Excellent job on this one.

The commander looks good as well.

It's hard to pick a favorite out of the group shot. Though I seem to remember seeing the Nemiodian before. Have you posted him elsewhere?

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #121 on: June 27, 2006, 10:57 PM »
Thanks a lot guys.

It's hard to pick a favorite out of the group shot. Though I seem to remember seeing the Nemiodian before. Have you posted him elsewhere?

Thanks a lot Ennis. The Neimoidian, as well as the Sakian General were both two for my entries for the December Customizing Challenge. I've still got about a dozen more pilots that are all WIPs, I'm glad someone wants to see them. :)

Great update Ryan. I love the Mechanic - I'm not a fan of that BBI head but I think I've got one in my custom drawer too. The helmet is great and the accessories around the chest are great.

The commander is also very well done. These guys would look great in a diorama.

Thanks a lot Brent. I actually do like the head, it seems to be one of the better XD heads since it is a bit more neutral.

And as for the diorama, I'm, getting there. Lots of my own projects are going to have to be put on hold for the UGP. So it may be a ways off yet.

Smarty, the figure is an Operation Market Garden 101st Airborne Trooper, with some Commander Bacara boots, it was all I had handy at the time. I just filled in all the little holes with sculpey and repainted it. The helmet is a Saga Captain Typho helmet.

Great stuff Ryan! I love the detail you put into your work like the ankle holster on the rebel soldier. Also can't wait to see some more of the Stargate stuff.

Glad you liked them Anton. And truth be told I'd like to see more Stargate stuff myself. I've hardlt worked on it recently because it is so big it is a pain to move, and I still am trying to find the right fodder for some of the figures. You have inspired me to at least start work on the diorama again, I'll try and get it painted here in the next few days.
"This is the way."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 27, 2006, 11:01 PM »
Ryan, all of these are cool and I really like the group shot a lot.  But my favorite is this guy -

That figure could go almost ANYWHERE in the Star Wars universe and fit in.  Extremely well done bud.  One hell of a custom... I'd love to see a recipe on this.

:)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #123 on: June 28, 2006, 12:02 AM »
Thanks a lot Justin, the recipie on this guy is:

Head: 21st Century Operation Market Garden 101st Aitborne Trooper
Torso: 21st Century Operation Market Garden 101st Aitborne Trooper
Legs: 21st Century Operation Market Garden 101st Aitborne Trooper
Arms: 21st Century Operation Market Garden 101st Aitborne Trooper (It might not have been from the same figure as the rest though, I had to find arms without a bunch of pockets)
Feet: ROTS Commander Bacara
Helmet: Saga Captain Typho
"This is the way."

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #124 on: March 15, 2008, 05:55 AM »
Holy ****. This thread sure was dead and buried... all the way back on Page 9. It has been almost two years since I have posted anything hew here. :-X

I don't have any figure updates at the moment but I do have a new shelf display that I just finished. I desgined it primarily for my Stargate figures, but it is generic enough that it works for Star Wars too.

I have to clean up the sides (not pictured) but other than that I'm done with it. Originally I was just going to make a plain old white foamcore display to raise up my figures. Realizing that was boring, I decided to do something in the same vein as Muftak's shelf displays. I'd be lying if I said I didn't take a lot of inspiration from Bobb's work. I really tried to combine form and function on this display. I wanted this to primarily be a shelf, but have elements of nature mixed in. I built in a removable Stargate on the top shelf there. I wanted to have in partially in the ground like most gates are. In the event I want to use this for Star Wars figures I can just take the Gate off and it becomes a generic display. The DHD, and the lichen bushes are also removable.

The base is made from several layers of pink insulation foam that I sculpted with some hobby knives. It was then plastered with plaster of paris mixed with a bit of kitty liter (I'm going to try something else besides kitty litter next time, it was a pain to work with). I painted it first with a dark grey base coat, then with a black wash, a brown wash, and then finished off with some drybrushing. For the greenery I just used some Woodlands Scenics model railroad supplies. I really wish I would have used this method when making the terrain for the UGP, it would have turned out a lot better I think. The grass mats are nice and quick I suppose but tthis looks a lot more realistic. It is easier to give the ground subtleelevation changes and it is really easy to layer several types of material for more natural ground cover. It looks really cool in places when some of the rocks poke throught the grass.

I had so much fun making this that I really want to make a few more. I've been brainstorming trying to come up with something that would work for my Galactica figures, and then Star Wars as well. I think these kind of displays really work nicely and don't really take up a whole lot of room. Enough of my blathering here it is: (click the thumbnails)

The pictures are kind of crappy and the flashed washed out some of the detail. I should have taken shot shots at an angle to show the depth of the thing... oh well. I'll try to update with those at some point. Let me know what you guys think.  :)
"This is the way."

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan's Customs - Updated 3/15/08... Seriously.
« Reply #125 on: March 15, 2008, 10:03 AM »
Impressive display all around. The stand is indeed cool, but I love seeing all the Stargate figures in one fell swoop.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 16, 2008, 01:35 PM »
Wow, it's great to see you back in the customizing mix Ryan.  And very refreshing too.  Without a doubt you've always been one of my favorite customizers on any board, and your talents in this hobby seem to come completely natural to you.  I'll never forget how much work you did on the UGP, and the precarious position we would have been in if not for your incredible work and dedication to making the landscape.  Looks like you've mastered the pink insulation foam too... great stuff isn't it?  I wish I had known about that stuff earlier, I've been toying with it some and it's by far my favorite material now to work with.

It's The Return of Sith Lord Chaos!

Also, I'm sending you a PM...

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 16, 2008, 01:55 PM »
Looks great, Ryan.

I am glad I could be an inspiration. Your method of making the natural rocks worked incredible! Good job.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 17, 2008, 03:09 PM »
Very cool shelf displays Ryan! Speaking of the UGP whatever happen to the outside rock terrain and waterfall?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #129 on: March 21, 2008, 06:42 PM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. I'd like to get back to doing this kind of thing more regularly, it really is a lot of fun.

Very cool shelf displays Ryan! Speaking of the UGP whatever happen to the outside rock terrain and waterfall?

It currently is residing in my parent's basement in the inside of a very large diorama that has been a WIP for years now. I need a good spot to display it in my room, and it is currently too full. Hopefully this summer I'll have time to reorganize the room a bit and make some space for it.
"This is the way."