Author Topic: Luke's Jedi Trials  (Read 2406 times)

Offline Lestat

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Luke's Jedi Trials
« on: March 31, 2006, 06:31 PM »
I was watching "Clone Wars" Volume 2 this weekend and during the council's discussion about Anakin being promoted to Jedi there is an interesting talk about the Jedi Trials that were referenced in Ep I. The trials they mention are: The trial of the flesh, the trial of skill, and the mirror. Now alot of people look at Luke's training as being incomplete but he actually went through all of the Jedi Trials in Empire and Jedi;
Trial of Flesh- Loss of his hand on Bespin

Trial of Skill- The Battle with Vader on Bespin, Defeat of Vader on the 2nd Death Star

The Mirror- The cave on Dagobah

This also puts a totally different spin on why Yoda stated that Luke had to face Vader to complete his training. he wasn't being sent to kill him necessarily but to face his last test of skill. (obviosly Vader and Palpatine needed to be defeated but this was not the sole reason that Luke was sent to face them) What do you guys think?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Luke's Jedi Trials
« Reply #1 on: April 4, 2006, 04:18 AM »
That is interesting to thnk about actually...  Luke's ascention to being an actual Jedi required his confrontation with Vader...  or so Yoda said.  That tied in fairly nicely with the cartoon's outlining of things and also with what we see in the prequals too.  You don't see much discussion about that really when the criticism of Luke "being a Jedi" or not comes up like it sometimes does.

I think he simply lacked experience...  Still though he somehow came off much wiser in ROTJ than we'd seen him up till then...  His evolution in character is probably the sharpest of the saga, which I think is why a lot of people don't "like" the Jedi label being slapped on him...  He does show a lot of Jedi qualities though in ROTJ that you'd expect of a Qui-Gon or even Yoda...  Like giving every chance to peace for Jabba and his cronies instead of just going in and hacking away like he would have at one point in his life.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77