Author Topic: Indiana Jones 4 - The Movie  (Read 83703 times)

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
Indiana Jones 4 - The Movie
« on: April 9, 2003, 09:36 AM »
Hypothetical situation:

From the NewYorkPost:

...Lucas, a pioneer in digital motion picture technology, apparently insists on using the emerging format in the next and possibly final installment of the Indiana Jones saga. Best buddy Steven Speilberg, who directed the first three top-grossing films, has been quoted as being adamantly opposed to the new computer-friendly medium, saying he prefers the "magic" of traditional film. However, Lucas owns the property and has decided to direct the next Indy flick himself without Spielberg's involvement.

A spokesperson for Lucas said, "This is an effects heavy script under a very tight deadline. In order to slip through this limited window of opportunity in a timely manner, Mr. Lucas feels digital image capture is the way to go." Spielberg's camp only replied, "This wouldn't be the first time [Spielberg] didn't direct one of his sequels." Neither Lucas nor Spielberg have commented on the rift.

In another development, a source close to Harrison Ford has stated the leading man has misgivings about Lucas' directing abilities and may bow out of the production altogether, leaving Lucas to recast the role of Indiana Jones. Perhaps a prequel trilogy, Mr. Lucas?

Okay, this would suck. But what if George decided to direct Indy IV himself. Assume Ford bites the bullet and stays with the production. Everything else goes as planned, the only difference is that George is directing it. Would you still run to theatres to see it? Wait for home video? Or disown the fourth movie altogether as apocryphal and cherish what we already have?

Is it possible George can direct Indiana Jones better than Star Wars?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 10:53 PM by Jeff »
Post sober.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: "George Lucas to direct Indy IV"
« Reply #1 on: April 9, 2003, 09:42 AM »
It will be interesting to see what happens here.  I would be slightly less interested if George is directing.  Spielberg can do mostly no wrong in my eyes.  George while I still enjoy his movies has gone a little looney and lost his edge somewhere in 1978.  

I'd say Indy would be a little less whiz bang effects laden than the Star Wars movies are.  Sure he's going to want to put in some effects like when Toht melted or Indy walked the plank in Crusade.  But having a digital effect in every shot would ruin it.  Somehow I almost think Lucas thinks this is the way it should be.  Spielberg has been the best at melding real and CGI IMO, such as with A.I. (which gets slagged too much IMO) or the JP movies.

So I think they will come to some sort of compromise...it will be interesting though

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #2 on: April 9, 2003, 09:58 AM »
I would actually like to see digital effects done in the next Indy movie.  I wouldn't mind if Star Wars EP3 was shot 100% with digital effects.  If he could do such an awesome job on Clone Troopers and Yoda, he should just do it for the entire movie.
dustrho

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: April 9, 2003, 03:59 PM »
I would actually like to see digital effects done in the next Indy movie.  I wouldn't mind if Star Wars EP3 was shot 100% with digital effects.  If he could do such an awesome job on Clone Troopers and Yoda, he should just do it for the entire movie.
 I disagree...I would want the new movie to be somewhat seemless with the other 3 which didn't rely on much CGI at all.  Some of the stuff they did do was a little cheesy (Tank going over the cliff in Crusade) and would look a ton cooler with modern effects.  But I just can't see unless the story is about aliens or something why they would want to do this

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: April 9, 2003, 04:02 PM »
I think the CGI is also getting out hand, the story needs to be better and then everything else is based on it. Things looked a tad fake and George went out of his way to include some of the Digital stuff. It can be great if done right.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #5 on: April 9, 2003, 04:12 PM »
Lets face it, George is a crappy director, and Indy is not a Computer-graphics kind of movie... I love the Indy films because they are very REAL feeling, not all this lame CGI filling the screen and making everything busy.

I wouldn't mind if Star Wars EP3 was shot 100% with digital effects.  If he could do such an awesome job on Clone Troopers and Yoda, he should just do it for the entire movie.
I'm currently in discussions with Chris so I can go ahead and ban you just for saying that... The graphics in EP2 are not all that amazing, but even if they were, the whole movie in CGI?! Lucas' CGI is more than almost annoying, if you ask me! All Lucas is able to do anymore is make every single shot completely busy and hectic looking.

Just kidding about the ban thing... OR WAS I! Dum dum dum!

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 9, 2003, 05:39 PM »
I have a tough time visualizing an effects-heavy Indy script unless it was something along the lines of The Mummy. At one point, before that particular film started production, there were rumors of Indiana Jones and the Mummy's Tomb or something like that. (This is LONG before the video game.)

Indiana Jones and the Nazi Zombies?

Indiana Jones and the Curse of Mola Ram?

Indiana Jones and the Love Interests' Ghosts?

Whatever it is, it has to be HUGE. Indy needs to go on a quest that has him battling great white sharks off the coast of New England, dragracing hot rods in Northern California, and discovering an alien crash site in the New Mexico desert.

All we need now is Harrison Ford and a blue screen.
Post sober.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #7 on: April 9, 2003, 05:52 PM »
The graphics in EP2 are not all that amazing, but even if they were, the whole movie in CGI?! Lucas' CGI is more than almost annoying, if you ask me! All Lucas is able to do anymore is make every single shot completely busy and hectic looking.

What are you talking about?  The graphics in EP2 were outstanding!  Look at the detail of those clone troopers!  It's unbelivable how detailed they were, and I can't believe you didn't thing the graphics were all that great.

Just kidding about the ban thing... OR WAS I! Dum dum dum!

So now you want to ban me, huh?  LOL!  You crack me up sometimes, ya know that??    ;D
dustrho

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #8 on: April 9, 2003, 08:11 PM »
What are you talking about?  The graphics in EP2 were outstanding!  Look at the detail of those clone troopers!  It's unbelivable how detailed they were, and I can't believe you didn't thing the graphics were all that great.
For today's standards, the graphics didn't look all that great. I mean, just watch the field scene with Anakin riding that butt-thing. Terrible! Now, putting the quality of the graphics aside, the graphics are also bad because, as far as the clones go, (and hey, I like them too), all they are is the same charactor "file" on a continuous loop.
Watch closely, they all have the same move-pattern because the programmers went cheap and only wrote a half dozen (pulling number out of the air) or so animation scripts. Okay, I used a lot of terminology there, and probably not the right terms, either, but you know what I'm saying.
The graphics failed to replace humans, and so I say they weren't that great.

(We've hijacked the thread, I think)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2003, 09:30 AM »
Indiana Jones should be done just the way the first 3 were done. The days of the old Special Effects are sadly gone.
If Lucas was to work on this, it will fail.
Let Speilberg to do the magic. Indiana Jones will not succeed without Harrison Ford & we don't need a prequel trilogy.
Any word if Sean Connery will be signed? I heard awhile back that he would like to do another Indy movie.

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
Indiana Jones IV movie on hold.
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2004, 02:09 PM »
Did anyone see on CNN news that the Indiana Jones IV movie is on hold. Yep it is true. The CNN said that Director George Lucas did not like the script. They said that a new script will begin shortly. So how far back will this movie be pushed?

For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline apokolips

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Indiana Jones IV movie on hold.
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2004, 02:14 PM »
I don't think George has any ground to stand on to complain about anyone else's scripting ability.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2004, 03:24 PM »
Better not be too long.  It's not like Connery is getting that much younger.  Realistically neither is Harrison Ford, though he's hardly what I would call old.  

Wonder what Lucas didn't like?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2004, 03:26 PM »
Yeah, after the prequels I dont know if I trust GLs judgement anymore...
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2004, 03:29 PM »
Realistically neither is Harrison Ford, though he's hardly what I would call old.

*giggle*

Wonder what Lucas didn't like?

The script wasn't fully illustrated.