Author Topic: NFL 2005-06  (Read 55254 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Super Bowl XL Pittsburgh vs Seattle
« Reply #300 on: February 7, 2006, 11:43 PM »
Oh come on Dave, you know I don't use an Avatar anyway so I'm using one because this is a special time to me so it's hardly worth complaining about.  This was the most watched SB since the 1996 one when we were there...  There's just a lot of Steelers fans I think around the country is all.

I'm not gonna run with this all year, I don't use avatars, I just wanted it for now because I'm celebrating...

As far as bad calls, I'm sure there'd be some complaining from us if this was a total reversal...  I know there were complaints throughout the playoffs because there was bad officiating in a lot of Steelers games, so we're not immune to seeing it "that way", but the difference is the NFL admitted (at least in one game) that it was the case...    Right Here though the NFL isn't saying that, and stands behind the officiating whether it was good or not...  And I'm not even gonna say it was good because there was the low block call I thought was BS, the "phantom hold" as I've heard it called is dubious I think and there were holds against the Steelers that weren't called a number of times...  The big issues I believe were called right but that's my point of view...  Others disagree and that's fine but nobody who's disagreeing is wanting to admit that the Seahawks played like ****, and that no matter what the calls came out to be there's no way saying it would have changed the game's outcome.  At this point it's old, and it just stinks of sour grapes to me and I'm disappointed at that.

The city's great, and the fans here support the team tremendously so it's not really fair to dump on a city I've grown up in and really do love being here as if they're nothing but violent thugs if this game had gone the other way.  We lost the AFC Championship to the Pats and as I recall there was complaint about calls in that game, and how the national media treated the Steelers, but at the end of the day the fans accepted the loss and we looked forward to next year...  Some tried to make a lame argument saying "Well we could've won if this or that didn't happen", but at the end of the day I look at that as nothing but BS and not taking the loss and dealing with it... 

At this point nobody's opinion of what was a right or wrong call is going to change...  I think the Steelers earned the victory, I thought the two biggest calls in question were right ones, but at this point I'm done arguing with Seahawks fans who say it wasn't...  I just am going to enjoy this victory, I'm going to relish the moment, and I'm done with the pissing match with the hawks fans because I know for a fact I would NOT be doing that to them because I just don't play it that way.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 8, 2006, 10:45 PM »

I don't care what this author says, Darrell Jackson planted his hand on the defender's chest and pushed off.  Pass interference, end of story.

My only point of contention here is that the ref didn't call jack **** until the ball had been caught and the defender got in his face to whine.  It was a late call that responded to some player complaining and that's crap. 

The contact was there, minimal or not.  Call what you SEE not what you're told happened.

The best comment of all on Darrell Jackson's OPI call?  I hate to say it, but it was from ESPN's Michael Irvin of Dallas Cowboys fame.  His claim to fame?  The fact that he pushed off more DB's than probably any other receiver in the game.  The man knows that move.  He perfected it.  And he said that Darrell Jackson's OPI call was bunk and that he (Irvin) got away with much worse.  The only reason that penalty got called is because it was (1) in the Super Bowl, i.e. super-scrutinized, and (2) because it happened right in front of an official.  Otherwise the TD would've stood.

Oh, and this is coming from a Giants fan.  I have no vested interest in the game other than being a football fan.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Ithorian Clergy

• Jedi Initiate
  • Straight up rocket scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 8, 2006, 11:18 PM »
I'm not sure - it's entirely possible that they found eachother eventually and that I just idnd't see it on the broadcast.  But usually after a loss the other coach isn't all smiles when he greets the winner.  I think that might be beforehand because Cowher was soaking wet at the end after getting doused with Gatorade.

This from foxsports.com:

"Coaches Bill Cowher and Mike Holmgren met before Super Bowl XL (pictured) but didn't shake hands on the field after the game. Apparently confusion about which 25-yard line they were supposed to meet at caused the missed opportunity. Cowher went to one, while Holmgren went to the other."
If you vote for me all of your wildest dreams will come true.  Thank you.

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 9, 2006, 02:53 PM »
Holmgren/Cowher - Heard on the radio (but couldn't find any article to back it up) that Holmgren found and congratulated Cowher in the tunnel under the stands.

Montana - Not sure if his telephone interview cleared up the mess or changed peoples minds. His 2 divorces and 3rd marriage aside, his story meshes with what I've heard about the guy.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 9, 2006, 03:41 PM »
Whether you like the guy or not..Montana was one of the greatest football players of all time, played games with a bad back, cracked ribs for many years in his career and many folks have stated it's one guy they would've wanted on their team. It's relevant if you don't like him since you really wouldn't want somebody you thought was a **** whipping your ass on the field if he was on the other team.

Must have been a lightswitch between football games and any other time. Heard nothing but good comments from his teammates from the kind of teammate he was.

I feel like some of the past quarterbacks didn't deserve MVP of SB awards but I think Joe's were justified.

I could be partial since the 49ers ARE my team but there's been classless/arrogant players on the team in the past that I hated IE.. R. Watters, D. Sanders, T. Owens, B. Romanowski

At least Joe left it on the field- no ridiculous me me me me TD dances or arrogant trash talking before and after games..no talk to the media like I'm the greatest ever(see list above).

So he said it off field that he wants more money? That that's why he didnt show?
If he won more than one MVP than why can't he ask for more? What, the NFL feels they can pay him the same as everyone else and save some (IMO at that level) cheap dollars at the same time by not paying for a couple of SB MVP payouts because it's the same guy? I'm not jealous/hating him for it, he can do what he wants in that aspect.

If the NFL paid the right deserved amount for their MVP's than these 2 guys would have showed. To me the NFL looks bad for this, not those players. Sorry, I don't belive Bradshaw's answer-to me it sounded political-as much as he talks about "my team" still when he's in the broadcast booth I don't for 1 second believe that's why he didn't show ::). Joe's answer, if true could be him just being honest. I feel Bradshaw deserved more money too but I feel he lied for reasons to not even attend a Steeler's Super Bowl game..come on, really ::)

I really don't see anything wrong with players of multi MVP awards asking for more money than players who only got 1. I do however see the Payers for being cheap bastards for not forking up the extra cash and trying to save because it was "per person/not per MVP award". What a stupid pregame show that was since they didn't >:(

Sorry, if I hogged the thread, hate me if you must...

Go 49ers/only SB team with 5 victories AND undefeated Super bowl record 
« Last Edit: February 9, 2006, 03:41 PM by Darth Slothus »

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 9, 2006, 04:12 PM »
So he said it off field that he wants more money? That that's why he didnt show?
If he won more than one MVP than why can't he ask for more? What, the NFL feels they can pay him the same as everyone else and save some (IMO at that level) cheap dollars at the same time by not paying for a couple of SB MVP payouts because it's the same guy? I'm not jealous/hating him for it, he can do what he wants in that aspect.

I believe that money shouldn't play a part for these type of NFL ceremonies. These guys made their fame and their living from the NFL. As a fan, I think they should help promote it. And being a 49er fan, and having heard only positive things about Montana (unlike most other super athletes that have negative and positive stories about them circulating), I was floored when the story broke about Montana wanting $100,000.

But in his conversation with Stephen A. Smith, he denied asking for the money. He had been in Detroit promoting a drug he uses to control his high blood pressure and went home on Friday so he could be home to watch his sons play their games on Friday and Saturday.

It would have been nice to see Montana at the SB, but I can't fault him for wanting to be with his family.