Author Topic: NFL 2005-06  (Read 55310 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: NFL 2005-06 (Now with Playoffs!)
« Reply #195 on: January 15, 2006, 04:15 PM »
Congratulations to the Steelers for beating the would-be Super Bowl champions, despite the best efforts of the homer refs.

God, I love upsets.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #196 on: January 15, 2006, 04:16 PM »
Congratulations to the Steelers for beating the would-be Super Bowl champions, despite the best efforts of the homer refs.

God, I love upsets.

Uh, I think I may have spoken too soon.

Holy ****.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #197 on: January 15, 2006, 04:22 PM »

God, I love upsets.

Uh, I think I may have spoken too soon.

Holy ****.

Guess I didn't speak too soon, after all.

(whew)

Offline Andy_R

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 15, 2006, 04:51 PM »
Holy crap, what a game! 
How about that challenge overturned on that interception?
Was that ref crazy? or is there actually a technicality in the rule books about this?

Looked like a clean interception to me.  But glad to see it didn't determine the result of the game.  You'd hate to see that.

Andy

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #199 on: January 15, 2006, 05:19 PM »
Woo-Hoo! We get another home game in Denver! ;D

I almost would have rather seen the Broncos play in Indy, I would have loved to see them beat Indy and NE in the same year. I'm just glad both of them are out of the playoffs, I'm so sick of hearing about them.

I think the Pittsburgh and Denver game should be a very good game. Both teams have been very under-rated all year. I really hope Denver can pull it off, Pittsburgh is a great team. I do like the Steelers too, but the Broncos are always going to be my favorite.

And my favorite NFC team is doing great today. 14-0 if the fumble recovery by Peppers stands...

Nevermind, but they are still up 7-0.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 05:20 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #200 on: January 15, 2006, 05:21 PM »
If it had, you'd have seen me here cursing and swearing about it then moving on to figure who I was gonna root for, haha. :)

Seriously though, what a game...  I'm slowly getting a case of the flu I believe, so I decided not to go to my woman's family event today, glad I didn't because my stomach is in 1000x worse shape now than it was this morning when I woke up and I'd be miserable "out".

I loved the game, it was played predominantly well by the Steelers and for my $.02 I think the only flaws were sloppy ref's making sloppy calls, and seemingly making their own rules up to suit them too, and Bettis fumbling the ball on the 1.  I love Bettis, but holy **** you have got to be kidding me!?  To his defense, it was a really solid helmet hit on the ball, but still where was his other hand?  COVER THE F'n BALL!  Game's on the line, final seconds, you don't do stuff like that so I hope he got that out of his system and there's no more of it...

I really was hoping for a win over Indy.  I knew we were underdogs, I knew it'd be tough, and really there wasn't a WHOLE lot of anymosity till about mid-week some really ****** stuff started leaking...  One thing was a guy from here out in Indy went to get a coffee at this coffee shop and the owner wouldn't serve him till he "Took off his Steelers crap".  I kid you not, he would not serve the guy.  That's just bull****, and childish, and the kind of stuff that actually makes you hate the other city enough that you want the win desperately.

So the Steelers played well for all of the first half, no doubt.  To the Ben naysayers I think they've been proven wrong as to what an asset he is, how well he can play, and how he too can dominate a game...  His cryptic answer walking off at the end leads me to assume his arm wasn't up to snuff after he took the helmet on it so we were forced to run.  Hell, his play after the fumble shall forever be remembered as THE play of the game.

We really did run well against a tremendously skilled defensive opponent, so I give much love to our O-Line today for opening up big holes for Parker and Bettis.  I don't think the numbers will show it necessarilly but there was some hard fought wars for a yard, or at times less.  I wish the (assumed) arm injury hadn't forced Roethlisberger to throw less though, as he was so on today it would have been fun seeing what he could've done to disect the Colts secondary into the 2nd half.

Pollamallu played tremendously, and he was robbed of an INT that would have, I believe, been the nail in the coffin.  Just my opinion though, but I really do believe that would have been it if the ref had actually not been giving himself a thorough colonoscopy.  Either way though, Pol's a class act, and the Steelers are lucky to have him.

And to the rest of the Defense, they played tremendously I felt.  Lots of sacks, and the Coordinator even said afterwards that they'd never expected to take down Manning that many times but they still did.  Porter was shining despite the announcers best efforts to take a **** on the Steelers D almost all day.

Just a heart stopper to watch for a Steelers fan...  Good football, some weird stuff to see too.

Oh, one other complaint though...  I hate the national announcers generally, but those two today were just horrible.  You'd think they had $ on the Colts the way they called it.  Sometimes I think I'd be better off turning the volume on the TV off and the volume on the radio way up.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #201 on: January 15, 2006, 05:25 PM »

Oh, one other complaint though...  I hate the national announcers generally, but those two today were just horrible.  You'd think they had $ on the Colts the way they called it.  Sometimes I think I'd be better off turning the volume on the TV off and the volume on the radio way up.

I've done that before. It really sucks though. There is a longer delay on the TV than the radio. So you hear what happens before you see it on TV. I wish the radio would just delay their coverage so it coincided with the TV delay. I can't stand most of the announcers on any of the networks.
"This is the way."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 15, 2006, 05:53 PM »
As bad as I was feeling for Jerome Bettis after the fumble, I feel worse for Tony Dungy.  The knock on the poor guy in Tampa was that he couldn't win in the playoffs.  Since going to Indy he's had a world-class offense and still hasn't been able to win in the playoffs.  The team gets to 13-0 and looks like they're unstoppable and bam, his son kills himself, the team is stuck with 3 weeks of meaningless football plus a bye week and when they finally get back onto the field in a meaningful game they're obviously rusty and are matched up against a Steelers team that never budges for anything.  Another typically slow start for a Dungy coached team followed by an embarassing moment where he sends the punting unit onto the field only to be waived off by the QB.... followed by a failed comeback on a missed FG by the 'most accurate FG kicker in league history."

The poor guy is never going to hear the end of it.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #203 on: January 15, 2006, 06:07 PM »
Oh, one other complaint though...  I hate the national announcers generally, but those two today were just horrible.  You'd think they had $ on the Colts the way they called it.  Sometimes I think I'd be better off turning the volume on the TV off and the volume on the radio way up.

I muted the game in the first quarter, and listened to my iPod for the rest of the game.  I don't need to listen to Dan Dierdorf to know what's going on.

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 15, 2006, 06:31 PM »
As bad as I was feeling for Jerome Bettis after the fumble, I feel worse for Tony Dungy.  The knock on the poor guy in Tampa was that he couldn't win in the playoffs.  Since going to Indy he's had a world-class offense and still hasn't been able to win in the playoffs.  The team gets to 13-0 and looks like they're unstoppable and bam, his son kills himself, the team is stuck with 3 weeks of meaningless football plus a bye week and when they finally get back onto the field in a meaningful game they're obviously rusty and are matched up against a Steelers team that never budges for anything.  Another typically slow start for a Dungy coached team followed by an embarassing moment where he sends the punting unit onto the field only to be waived off by the QB.... followed by a failed comeback on a missed FG by the 'most accurate FG kicker in league history."

The poor guy is never going to hear the end of it.

Couldn't agree more.  Very disappointed in seeing the Colts lose.  They had their chances though.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 15, 2006, 07:21 PM »

I muted the game in the first quarter, and listened to my iPod for the rest of the game.  I don't need to listen to Dan Dierdorf to know what's going on.

When did you get an iPod?

**** the Colts, by the way.  Aside from Rosenhaus's bitch shitbombing the Eagles, the Broncos/Steelers match up for the AFC makes this the best season ever.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 15, 2006, 10:04 PM »
Bears D finally stunk it up today.  Actually it was just to much Steve Smith...I guess.  Oh well it was nice to see the Bears actually make it for once.  Congrats to the Panthers.  Now it's onto watching my Cubs stink it up another year.

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 15, 2006, 11:02 PM »
Man. That was an awesome game. I really hated the annoucers in the game, saying stuff all about the Colts and not the Steelers. Really ****** officiating, though.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #208 on: January 15, 2006, 11:36 PM »
All four games were good this weekend, but that Steelers-Colts game was a classic!  I was sort of pulling for the Colts only because of Dungy.  I've liked him ever since he was D Coordinator here in Minnesota.  I thought for sure dude was going to go all the way with that fumble.  I can't believe he didn't take a better angle than he did and that he let Big Ben tackle him

I thought the reffing in a lot of the games was horrible.  The Bears seemed to get a lot of calls today and the Patriots got screwed quite a bit last night

Oh well, should be two good games next week and that's all I really care right now (and that the Bears got exposed again for being a bunch of overrated media darlings).  I really think the Steelers and Panthers have a chance to knock off the home teams. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #209 on: January 16, 2006, 01:13 AM »
Pittsburgh's already fired up in a tizzy...  They handled the Colts, though I'm sure I'll get to read some comments around the news (and boards) saying it was some sort of divine act that let them win, Colts were better, blah blah blah...  At this point, that's what being a Steelers fan is all about I guess.  You're not allowed to enjoy hard play, you're always just somehow "lucky" till you lose, then you were beat somehow by skill and a fantastically better team.  It never fails, and I doubt it will this week either.

I had a great time watching the game if not for feeling sick all day and the game's gut-wrenching theatrics making me feel worse with every play.  It was insane...  I'm just glad that the Steelers brought their A game, they backed up their thoughts that they can take anyone...   The Colts didn't play bad I don't think, not the whole game at least, and no more than we did at times, so it really felt great to get a solid win in on a solid team.  I'd likely be rooting for Indy right now if it had gone the other way...  Then again I'd likely have rooted for Cincy too if that had gone differently.  I'm glad we've got at least one more week though, and the city's pumped.  You can just feel it everywhere around here and that just makes the atmosphere around here fun. 

If the Steelers had lost today, I would have felt horrible for Bettis...  For him to have his last play (likely) of his career be that, it'd have been horrible for him, and he's as nice a guy as they come...  He's an asset to Pittsburgh.  I guess Ward told him on the sidelines that they weren't gonna let him go out like that...  Not that I can think of what Ward had planned...  :)  Still it was nice.  They really put Bettis on a pedastool for being a great person, not just a player, and rightfully so.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77