Author Topic: Darth Vader Carry Case  (Read 11687 times)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Darth Vader Carry Case
« on: September 15, 2005, 06:26 AM »
I'm sure we all had one of these when we were kids so we could store our figures.

But I came across this one on ebay - this has got to be a fake, right?  Or did they actually produce a white version?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Darth Vader Carry Case
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 11:14 AM »
I'll leave better confirmation to the real vinty guys, but I'll say no, they weren't all black.  I think I've seen pictures of Sansweet's collection with multiple versions of both the Vader and the 3PO carry cases in various colors.  I believe they are different production stages or prototypes that were produced using different plastics prior to the final black (Vader) and gold (3PO) versions being mass produced. 

I'm at work so can't check Sansweet's vintage book either, but I recall pictures of 3PO in various colors in there.  I don't recall the Vader being in there but it likely is. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 11:25 AM »
I don't know if they ever sold one, but like Brent said, there have been quite a few white prototype and first-shots of the case created...

http://www.toysrgus.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=48526
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Andy_R

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 01:13 PM »
It's possible that it's a legit prototype, but there are fakes out there.
I would need to know a little more background on this piece before buying it.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 02:40 PM »
Thanks for the info guys!

He's provided a couple more pictures, which seem to make it look real.

When I first looked at it, I thought maybe someone had just spray-painted it, but you can actually see the striations in plastic.  Very neat piece.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 02:40 PM by JesseVader08 »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 07:54 PM »
Well I'm not an expert on this but I have seen the auction on this. Comes from a seller that sells mostly antiques from what I can see.

It looks way too clean from the one in the archive. I really don't know.  :-\

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 10:12 PM »
I asked the seller to share history on the piece, here is what I got:

You Probabley never will,they are quite Rare,i bought this at a garage sell,and the fellow I got this from told me I probably will never see another white one ever again he was in his 40+..

Seems like a risk, Jesse are you planning on bidding on it?  If so PM me I do not want to bid on it if you are.

Best regards,

DBK

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 10:34 PM »
If you're interested in it, go ahead.  I was really just curious about it's background.

:)

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 01:37 AM »
I took a look on the Archive and found another pic of the white mold test case as linked below...

http://www.toysrgus.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=48525

According to the description in the link Jeff provided (which I almost duped, oops  :P), the white test case had a "marble" finish, which would definitely describe the paint job of the case in question. But I gotta say that the reply to DBK's question seems a bit sketchy. If this guy got it at a garage sale, one would think it was a sale from someone who may have worked on the piece, so a bit more enlightenment there would be nice.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline John J. Alvarez

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 01:11 PM »
Is the new one the same size as the vintage? It's possible it's just a mold test for the OTC case. When the X-Wing, Falcon, Snowspeeder, and Speeder Bike came out test shots started showing up still bearing the vintage copyright dates. Most of them, sans the Speeder Bike, showed up in white plastic. His provenance is sketchy at best. I'd say he's trying to play off a modern prototype for a vintage one.

John

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 06:52 PM »

...and the fellow I got this from told me I probably will never see another white one ever again he was in his 40+..

Uh, 40 ain't that freakin' old ::)  I'm 41 and never owned a vintage star wars toy until a couple of years ago, let alone a prototype that I'd turn around and sell in a garage sale.  Something stinky here.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2005, 11:30 PM »
Maybe I'm being naive, but maybe the guy really doesn't realize what he has (if it is in fact the real thing).  He may think it's the typical eBay "HTF, RARE" find, but may not know it really is a rare piece. 

If it is.   :-\

My brain hurts.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2005, 04:38 AM »
$81.01.  Well, somebody definitely thought it looked real.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 04:39 AM by JesseVader08 »

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 1, 2006, 10:49 PM »
Hmmm... I was checking out SithToys.com, the Darth Vader Toy Museum.  On the front page, he states that there are only 8 of these known to exist.   If that case was a real prototype, I'll kick my ass for not jumping on it.  :(

Offline sithtoys

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 05:32 PM »
Hmmm... I was checking out SithToys.com, the Darth Vader Toy Museum.  On the front page, he states that there are only 8 of these known to exist.   If that case was a real prototype, I'll kick my ass for not jumping on it.  :(

Sorry guys, but this was indeed a real prototype white case. (I was the high bidder)
Vintage cases like this are next to impossible to fake. The only vintage Vader case fake/repro prototype cases are the Gold Chrome on black plastic cases.
A few years ago in Toy Shop, there was a dealer making repro's. They are very easy to tell apart from the real thing, but shady dealers picked up on them and resold a few of them as legit.
If there is ever any doubt, contact me or another vintage collector.

Bill