Author Topic: Help me stop a scam artist from winning this auction  (Read 3227 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Help me stop a scam artist from winning this auction
« on: August 18, 2007, 06:09 PM »
There is an auction for 26 empty Kenner Baggies on eBay right now.  I'd like to win this auction and destroy the bags to keep them from becoming fake re-seals and further screwing up the baggie market.

Link

Everyone who wants to help, please send contributions to Paypal address xnextseasonx@hotmail.com

I'll bid up to whatever amount we raise - and I'll keep that number secret until afterwards. If we don't use all of the money, everyone will get a proportional refund from whatever is left. 

If we don't win the auction, everyone will get a full refund.  I've never given a refund though - if Paypal fees aren't returned when I issue a refund, your refund might be 3% smaller than whatever you donated.

If I'm able to win, I'll take some pictures of them being destroyed!

Tell all your friends - even if we don't win, at very least we can drive the price up and make it less profitable for whichever scumbag decides to make fakes out of them.

Who's with me?

Spread the word - we've got less than 2 days to raise as much as we can.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 06:10 PM by Rob »

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
Re: Help me stop a scam artist from winning this auction
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 02:57 PM »
Rob, while I think this a virtuous endeavor, what makes you sure that the current high bidder is a scam artist?
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Help me stop a scam artist from winning this auction
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 03:47 PM »
I wasn't specifically talking about the current high bidder - but over at Rebelscum in the Vintage Watch Out section, someone has noted that at least one known scammer is involved in the bidding.

Additionally, I can't think of one reason anyone would want to collect 26 neatly cut empty kenner bags.  Someone could win them for a few bucks and do some reseals and make $20 or $30 each. 

We've had 3 modest donations so far and I'm going to match whatever the highest donation is.  It's not the end of the world or whatever, but I feel a slight obligation to at least try to police this kind of stuff.