Author Topic: Help! I need to remove stains!  (Read 3607 times)

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Help! I need to remove stains!
« on: September 15, 2005, 04:19 PM »
If only they made Whisk in 3 3/4" scale....

Over the past few months, I've noticed a disturbing trend...strange reddish stains began appearing on my figures.  It was especially noticeable on white figures.  A precious VOTC stormtrooper now sports a big red gash on his helmet...and my stormtrooper belt accessory is now virtually a stylish pink color.

I eventually discovered the culprit - or so I thought...I figured that since the belt got stained while trying to put it on my maroon painted custom figure for the interactive photonovel that the maroon paint was somehow coming off, onto my fingers, then onto the toys.

But so many more toys seemed affected than just ones I handled after handling that maroon figure.

Over the week-end, I learned the REAL source of the stains.  I keep my figures stored in stackable plastic "christmas ornament" boxes.  One of these boxes has a green lid...the other, a red lid.

It was the red plastic LID that is staining the figures!  After touching the lid, then a figure - presto!  A pink, "blushing" figure.  I almost totally soiled poor Mon Mothma's dress while making this discovery.

So here's my problem:  the crap won't come off!  I tried soap and water, nail polish remover and alcohol!

Help!  I need some heavy duty stuff here to clean off these infected figures!  Any suggestions??
Sith Lords Are Our Speciality

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Help! I need to remove stains!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 06:46 PM »
You could try Goo-Gone, or even one of those Clorox bleach pens.
"This is the way."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 09:45 PM »
Damn... I don't know what to say Lance... I would definitely try some sort of bleach?  At least on a "crappy" figure first to see if it works or not... good luck and let us know what happens!

:P

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 01:17 PM »
I know when I've gotten ink or marker stains on clothes, hairspray helps dull the stain. 

Maybe try soaking a crappy figure or two in hairspray or Windex.  The ammonia in Windex is very good at stain removal. 

B

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 06:42 PM »

It was the red plastic LID that is staining the figures!  After touching the lid, then a figure - presto!  A pink, "blushing" figure.  I almost totally soiled poor Mon Mothma's dress while making this discovery.

You can customize a Bill Clinton figure and make it a 2 pack.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 08:01 PM »
LMAO Dressel!   ;D :o ;D

Offline Ner_vod

• Jedi Initiate
  • HAHA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 08:56 PM »
I tried goo-gone once but for me the red paint made my clone into a pink,flower power arctrooper.

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2005, 01:11 PM »
Thats cause you went in two directions on the fig, go to ffurg, and they have a how to on paint removal.

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
  • Kneel...kneel before Wobb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 03:02 PM »
Or use a little ELO- Easy Lift Off. It can be found at most hobby stores, and is what I use to remove the crappy Hasbro "battle damage" from my #41 clones.

The best method is to soak a Q-Tip with ELO and then rub the affected area until the stain is removed. Then rinse the figure and dry.

-DD
Back from the dead!!!

Offline Ner_vod

• Jedi Initiate
  • HAHA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2005, 09:15 PM »
Thats cause you went in two directions on the fig, go to ffurg, and they have a how to on paint removal.
I saw that on FFURG and went in one direction but it still smeared. I think it was the paint I used.

Offline Ner_vod

• Jedi Initiate
  • HAHA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2005, 08:52 PM »
Or use a little ELO- Easy Lift Off. It can be found at most hobby stores, and is what I use to remove the crappy Hasbro "battle damage" from my #41 clones.

The best method is to soak a Q-Tip with ELO and then rub the affected area until the stain is removed. Then rinse the figure and dry.

-DD
Could the ELO damage the figure tho?