Author Topic: The Story of STAR WARS Wal-Mart Bonus DVD  (Read 4023 times)

Offline Commander Cody

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
The Story of STAR WARS Wal-Mart Bonus DVD
« on: September 19, 2005, 09:28 PM »

R2-D2 & C-3PO's Chronicles of Luke and Anakin Skywalker - Almost __ Minutes of Additional Content

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: The Story of STAR WARS Wal-Mart Bonus DVD
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 10:18 PM »
I've gotta say, that's a pretty cool bonus.  It would be a good reason for me to buy from WM instead of elsewhere, even though I'm not a big fan of the chain.  We'll have to see what other retailers offer.

I hunted through WM.com and found that the DVD with the bonus is listed for $25.48, but the regular DVD (without the bonus) is $15.87.  Both have regular prices of $29.98, so I would think that WM will update the price.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 10:47 PM »
I am waiting now to see what Best Buy has to offer.  They usually come up with something decent.  I would love it to be a Behind the Magic ROTS CD-ROM thing.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 11:19 PM »
Seems interesting, although wasn't this a special on some channel the week ROTS came out? I'll get it if it's something new, or if no other stores offer anything.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 09:31 AM »
If this is something new, that would be a cool bonus with the ROTS DVD.  I guess it isn't technically a bonus, since it will cost more to get both, but I know Wal-Mart has had those "2 pack" type things in the past for DVD releases.  Unless something better comes from Target, Best Buy, etc., I think I'll pick this up at Wal-Mart to get the bonus DVD.  I usually try to avoid WM as well, but this has helped to sell me.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 09:50 AM »
Wal-Mart has been doing this with movies a lot lately.  The first one I remember (and have) is the "Field of Dreams" Anniversary Edition that came out in the summer of 2004.  It included a bonus third disc that had a 90 minute documentary, and a few baseball related featurettes on it that, although not my cup of tea, made for a cool bonus disc nonetheless.  They also did this more recently with "The Ring Two", but after looking at the bonus disc's contents, I ended up just going for the regular disc itself as there was nothing on it that really wowed me.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't there some kind of bumper material with Threepio and Artoo when Fox aired the SW films leading up to the theatrical release of AOTC along these lines?  Maybe the bumpers were edited together for a featurette and that's what WM's bonus disc will include.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 03:48 PM »
I hate it when stores do this  >:(

My store is going to get these DVD's like a week early, and now I'm either going to have to:

a) wait till the release date and buy it at WM

or

b) buy it twice  ::)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 05:06 PM »
If the Best Buy release comes with a comic or magazine, I'd rather get that.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2005, 06:02 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, wasn't there some kind of bumper material with Threepio and Artoo when Fox aired the SW films leading up to the theatrical release of AOTC along these lines?  Maybe the bumpers were edited together for a featurette and that's what WM's bonus disc will include.

This jogged my memory, Doc. I seem to remember Wal-Mart airing viginettes on those TV's they have hanging from the roof (I don't know why they have these). I remember once they showed 3PO and R2 talking to each other (no audio on these TVs ::)), and showing clips from the movies. I didn't pay much attention, as I wasn't going to stop in the middle of a crowded aisle to watch Star Wars. Perhaps this is what they're putting on the disk.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2005, 12:01 AM »
I'll see what each stone offers and then buy from the one that makes the best offer that appeals to me. Still a month out so I'll look closer after the 17th of October.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3