Author Topic: #65 Tactical Ops Trooper (501st)  (Read 74074 times)

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
#65 Tactical Ops Trooper (501st)
« on: August 24, 2005, 11:42 AM »
Looking at the hi-res photos on Yoda's News, it seems to me that the 501st trooper is made with an AT-TE Gunner's body, not an SA Clone body.

Wierd.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 10:37 AM by Jeff »

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: ROTS - #57 and beyond
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 12:16 PM »
Looking at the hi-res photos on Yoda's News, it seems to me that the 501st trooper is made with an AT-TE Gunner's body, not an SA Clone body.

Wierd.

Sure does look that way...

Crap.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 05:59 PM »

What made them decide on this ****** change?

And what happened to "Bly will take months to remake"?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Bobafett77

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 06:38 PM »

I'm going to cross my fingers and hope that the 501st Clone shot was taken before SDCC. I hate that damned Gunner body and there's NO reason to use it.

Totally agree! I was REALLY looking forward to army building the heck out of the 501st but if the gunner body is used, Hasbro will have shot that straight down the tubes...

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 07:14 PM »
Frankly I like the gunnerbody. Gotta love those ball-jointed legs. And it'll have a removable helmet if it's a gunner, now thats a good thing.And if they use the Gunner, just think, It could be worse. They could use a 1995 Stormie body. ;D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 07:17 PM by HunterofThePegs »

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 08:06 PM »
The Gunner body is okay for a figure like the Gunner, who's sole purpose is to sit and hold a giant gun controller. The problem is that it has no waist and limited arm articulation. Also, I think the hands are horribly sculpted, as he can't hold a weapon for ****. And if he can hold his gun, it's in some sort of funky sideways position. Not cool for a trooper who needs a lot of arm movement to kill a bunch of Jedi. :P
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 08:41 PM »
The Gunner body will work fine for me.  With the leg joints, he's a lot more dynamic than the SA clone (save for the arm joints) and plus he has a removable helmet, which is always cool.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 09:51 PM »
How can you guys tell it's the AT-TE Gunner body and not the #41 body?

It looks the same to me...  ???
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

SilverZ

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 11:29 PM »
Take a look at the arms, Jeff. It's the preposed swivel arms from the Gunner.

You know, that has to be taken from early on. I mean, there was a ton of discussion on the figure at SDCC, and it seemed 100% that the figure was using the SA mold. I can't see why they'd change it like that.

I guess hate is a strong word to use for the Gunner. Yes, I like the hip articulation and think it should be standard on an SA figure. However, the figure is made of a softer plastic than the SA version, and he tends to not stand well without becoming bowlegged. The elbow sockets are cheap and awkward, and the swivel arms just are pointless and inferior to either the #6 or #41 versions. I just don't see the logic in reusing the mold here and a super-army builder.

Then again, they did show the Gunner body as the variant white clone in the Evo set, so logic doesn't seem to reign at Hasbro, does it?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 11:40 PM »
Take a look at the arms, Jeff. It's the preposed swivel arms from the Gunner.

Yeah, now that I have my #38 and #41 in front of me to compare to the pictures, that right forearm and gaps inbetween the leg and pelvis make it seem an awful lot like the #38 body.   :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 11:52 PM »
Well if it's the TE Gunner I'll be in the column that won't build too huge of a 501st army actually.  I'm with those of you that feel it's generally inferior to the other two Clone Trooper sculpts.

That's not to say I completely dislike it... I have 2 in my little set-up right now and they're nice, and I'd buy some more, but I prefer the greater articulation of the two other sculpts to the lacking waist and arm articulation of the TE Gunner.  I'm hoping for the Super Articulated Sculpt (but with a rifle pack-in over the carbine).  Play the wait and see game I guess.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Aucassin

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 12:32 AM »
How can you guys tell it's the AT-TE Gunner body and not the #41 body?

The belt isn't upside down.  ;D

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2005, 12:52 AM »
Does it really matter..really..? It's a ******' repainted clone
 and the only complaining that people will be doing when they release it is "I can't find it" or "I need more". I think it's funny all this complaining -you're still gonna have to get it (or an army of them). ::)

So what ..'Oh no!'..it's got swiveling arms.. then *******
by ten of them and add them to your tank gunner army and have their 'swiveling arms' all hugging each other..GEEZ! :P ::)

My only REAL concern is getting at least one each of the non-clone figs- I count 5 or 6 of the 12 only released in 1 out of the several new waves and revisions...at 1 each a case! :-\

Not only this but with all the refreshers released in the new cases.. where's my shocktroopers and black pilots? How many people need another VaderX2 or grievous or Yoda? ???

Great planning Hasbro- guess you don't want my money from senseless repacks....Wait! an Army of vaders and Yodas-excellent idea Dolts!(future pegwarmers) >:(

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2005, 01:20 AM »
Well everyone has an opinion on what's good or not, so that's "who cares" I guess Darth Slothus.  It's collector tollerance.

You think it's unimportant and that's fine of course...  Obviously I and a number of others feel the AT-TE Gunner's inferior so it's going to determine some of our buying habits on this one irregardless of how tough to find it may or may not be.  I know a less articulated sculpt is a downer for me though.  I will build a small army if I can find enough of that figure, but I know I won't be looking to build a 30+ figure army either (if they're that abundant for me) if the AT-TE Gunner's sculpt is the final choice.

I'm hoping it's the super articulated sculpt though...  That'd be my preference.  Everyone's opinion differs, so the "complaining" is only because some people's opinion on what's important doesn't line up with your own.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2005, 01:32 AM »
For me the disapointment is huge. I like the AT TE gunner, but I LOVE the SA Clone. I really wanted the 501st in the SA Clone and still hope we see it that way. IF it is the AT TE clone, I will still get 3 to put behind my Evolutions Anakin, but I'll leave it at that.
Now, here is an idea. Suppose it is a mixed assortment that some variants are the SA Clone and some 501st come in the AT TE Clone body? Then the hunt gets interesting.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3