Author Topic: Need weathering pictures  (Read 5413 times)

Offline Kit Fisto

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Tell your people to take shelter."
    • View Profile
    • Sofie and Jeffreys' Art/Custom Database
Need weathering pictures
« on: September 21, 2005, 09:36 AM »
Hi,

I'm currently working on my 3-monthly customizing article for the Belgian  Star Wars fan club. For this edition, I decided to inform our readers about the diffirent techniques of weathering. So now I'm looking for sharp (close-up) pics of weathered ships, vehicles and figures.
I know how many talented customizers here have done awesome jobs with weathering, so it would be awesome if you guys would post your works here. I'll use as many of them as I can to publish in our club magazine, the rest will be put online at  www.teekay-421.be

Thanx a lot in advance for the help!
"You're right! The Wu-Tang and the Shaolin could be dangerous!!"

My Website

Me on Ebay

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Need weathering pictures
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 10:22 AM »
Well, my techinique is called dry brushing, which I think is a pretty well known technique.

What I do is get several differnent colors for a dry brush.  Depending on the color of the figure parts that are to be dry brushed, I try and find an opposite color.  Like if it's a black figure, then maybe I will use a yellow or white color for the dry brush.  If it's a light colored figure, then the dry brush will need to be applied with a darker color.

Technique - On a paper plate (or whatever) put a couple of smears of paint onto it.  Use your paint brush (not a fine detailing brush, but a thicker one) and dab it in the paint some.  Then run the brush onto a surface to get rid of "most" of the paint.  You can then start stroking the brush bristles against the figure, and ever so slightly the paint will appear to start showing over the details of the figure's sculpt.  The idea is to have to "force" the brush firmly against the figure to get any paint off the bristles.  Repeat as necessary.

Dry brushing seems to work best on a figure that has already been painted.  For example, if you were to dry brush a TIE fighter pilot, I would suggest repainting him black first, then doing the dry brush.

Here's a few examples of dry brushing that I've done.

:P
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 10:23 AM by CHEWIE »

Offline Kit Fisto

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Tell your people to take shelter."
    • View Profile
    • Sofie and Jeffreys' Art/Custom Database
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 10:57 AM »
Thanx dude! Those will work out great!

But that doesn't mean I have enough ;)
Keep them comin!
"You're right! The Wu-Tang and the Shaolin could be dangerous!!"

My Website

Me on Ebay

Offline coeli

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 02:55 PM »

Here are a few starfighters that I have done recently.....
"How can I get turned on, I am surrounded by little plastic men!";to quote my wife....

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 03:55 PM »
Coeli, how in the world did you get those to look so realistic?  They really look like movie props, especially the ARC-170.
 :P

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 03:58 PM »
Because of his bad haircut. ;D

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Ner_vod

• Jedi Initiate
  • HAHA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 04:18 PM »
Coeli. That's awsome! Can you tell me how you did the weathering with the ARC 170?

Offline coeli

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 04:33 PM »
You have to have a really bad haircut............. ;D
Actually, this thing was really easy! I just gave it a wash (Apple Barrels black, water and a drop of soap) and then drybrushed it with more black and then silver. I did it in like half an hour!
"How can I get turned on, I am surrounded by little plastic men!";to quote my wife....

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 05:08 PM »
My only pics where the "weathering" is visible are these:

I think the Commander Cody has too much battle damage  :-\
The weathering for these is a combination of drybrushing, smearing (wiping off wet paint), and various light washes to a small degree.
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline coeli

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2005, 11:40 AM »

Man, I love this custom! Talk about cannon fodder! I really like your other clones but this one is really cool! Might I suggest  getting some black nylon stockings(maybe the wife/girlfriend has some she could part with) and put some small strips of it, torn up and frayed around the armor to represent what would be left of his body suit underneath the armor.

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2005, 01:32 PM »
Man, I love this custom! Talk about cannon fodder! I really like your other clones but this one is really cool! Might I suggest  getting some black nylon stockings(maybe the wife/girlfriend has some she could part with) and put some small strips of it, torn up and frayed around the armor to represent what would be left of his body suit underneath the armor.

Thanks, that's a great suggestion, I was going to use some black fabric but that was way too thick.  I think the black nylons would work though, I'll ask my girlfriend if she has any old pairs... Thanks for the feedback!
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.