Author Topic: Packaging Heaven  (Read 3195 times)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
Packaging Heaven
« on: March 15, 2004, 06:31 PM »
I ran into the new Target exclusive figures and glasses today. While I didn't bite (so often anymore...) I did really like the looks of the packaging.

It really got me thinking. The Star Wars products have been getting A+ packaging this last year or so. I'm an opener, so it doesn't much sink in with me, but some of the boxed stuff lately has just been gorgeous. I'm thinking the new glasses, the Screen Scenes, the Jedi Warriors TRU 4-pack. The Cartoon Clone Wars stuff was wuite a nice look. Even the mock-up of the rumored cantina 3-pack. All really nice looking stuff I've noticed around.

Way to go Hasbro. We don't often stop to notice, but you've really come a long way.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Packaging Heaven
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 06:45 PM »
Well, on the stuff that you mentioned there Bobb, I'd certainly agree.  Basically, anything with a nice window box looks pretty classy, and earns Hasbro even more money outta my wallet, since I like to have any window boxed items MIMSB, as well as loose.  I was PRAYING they wouldn't stick the Shuttle in a window box, and fortunately Hasbro obliged.   ;)  Stick the stuff in a regular, non-see though box, and one will occassionally be enough for me.

I like the Animated CW packaging too, but was that all Hasbro's doing, or do you think the Cartoon Network, or some other third party chipped in with some ideas for that line?  Either way, good looking stuff.  I also like the slimmed down bubbles that we've gotten with the Saga line this year, starting with the Hoth wave.  Much sleeker looking.  Not all bulky, and a big waste of space like before.

Of course, I've already commented all over the place on how beautiful I think the new, upcoming OTC packaging is.  Best I've ever seen, and that includes the vintage line.  So yeah, I agree that the packaging's gotten better, much better in some cases.  So kudos to Hasbro for that.  Hopefully they keep it up in the coming years...

Just add a nice "vintage-styled" ongoing visual checklist to the cardbacks, and we'll really be in business!   8)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 09:27 AM »
I agree as well.  I found the Target glass sets this weekend too (picked up Obi, left the Maul for now), and I have really been admiring the packaging on these too.  I have been thinking the same thing recently, that Hasbro has really done a nice job on improving their packaging.  I really liked the Animated Clone Wars packaging, although like Matt said that may have had some Cartoon Network influence, either way, it really popped on the pegs I thought.  Even though I check the Star Wars section each time every time, I think others in the aisle would have had their eyes drawn to that.  I'm in the same boat where I am really looking forward to the upcoming OTC packaging.  Although much of that line is re-releases, and I'm actually an opener, I have been considering picking up the re-releases anyways just for the cards.  I guess I'll have to wait until we get further pictures...but the packaging looks great, and I hope that they keep that style for quite some time.

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 10:59 AM »
Not only the packaging has improved dramatically, but most of the figures have progressed tremendously, from 1995 until now, but especially with the Episode 1 figures to now have they even improved more dramatically!!