Author Topic: Lack of Direction?  (Read 2648 times)

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
Lack of Direction?
« on: September 24, 2005, 06:22 PM »
Ever get an idea for a custom in your head, make it, then realize it turns out completely different from your intended result?  Then have you taken on the joyous task of just adding more crap until it resembles some distant cousin of a decent custom?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If this hasn't happened to you, then you're in for a treat in a day or two:  The perfect example being my hodge-podge kludge of a custom I did for the monthly customizing challenge.  I just look at the thing and seething hatred and loathing cloud my vision.  I can't wait until I finally feel comfortable finishing abandoning it.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Lack of direction
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 06:30 PM »
Oh man, I have been there several times!  It's been a while since that has happened to me, but it used to all the time.

My way of avoiding that now for the most part is going into a custom figure without a plan.  I just rummage through my custom fodder boxes, looking for interesting parts that might fit together, might not.  I rarely, if ever, have much of a concept of a figure planned out.  Maybe the head or the torso might be my starting place that I am thinking of for a figure... but other than that, I just kind of "let it happen."

I can't wait to see what you come up with though for this month's challenge.

:P

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 12:26 PM »
I agree with CHEWIE, I don't usually start a custom with a specific gameplan/parts usage in mind.  Most of the time I will think of a few parts that come together and just start making the figure.  Don't try to go overboard with "cool" pieces/accessories because then your custom will look like a junk-hoarder (this has happened to me a few times  ;)).  A rough idea of what you want is all that you need, in my experience anyway.  I guess your mileage may vary with that....
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
  • "..And shoot the loudmouth first!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 01:11 PM »
well, sometimes having a game plan for your custom is nice, but it's a lot more fun to see what you can come up with from scratch. My "Jeeb" custom was a spontaneous custom, and it turned out great.

Offline Tijuanajedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ay Chichona!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 02:14 PM »
I agree, most of the time you just wait for inspiration and hope you get it somewhat correctly.