Author Topic: Screen Capture Software Help  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Screen Capture Software Help
« on: September 27, 2005, 04:24 AM »
This is a general request for help pertaining to "Screen Capture" software.

I'm needing to pull captures from video games on my PC, some from video/cutscenes, for general projects I have going.  I'm looking for a good screen capture software that can pull multiple images (rather than me having to dump from the game after taking one capture) and saves them in the program...

One that would pull from anything would be nice...  Like some of the cutscenes I've tried pulling screencaps from just using "printscreen" came out all digitized and wonky looking.  I don't know why (I was trying to pull captures from Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, if you're familiar with these cutscenes that are live-action actors), but the images were not good at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...  I'm not familiar with this stuff at all really, I just know I need something that can take more than one screen capture and save them.  I'd really like to find something that served the purpose for now though so I could just get this stuff done, haha.

Thanks for any help! :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Screen Capture Software Help
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 04:53 AM »
Jesse-

My dad has some program called Snag-It32, it allows multiple images on a clipboard at once. I'm not sure exactly how it works, cause I rarely used it. I can check next time I talk to him. I think it is freeware or at least share-ware. anything else will run you some $$$.

If you are ripping screens from DVDs you will need to turn hardware acceleeration off (or down.) To do this right-click on the destop, click properties, then in the properties window click the Settings tab, then click the advanced button, next you are going to want to click the troubleshooting tab and there should be a bar that lets you dial down the hardware acceleration. Turn it down as far as you need to to be able to get screenshots, which most of the time is off. This should get rid of any "wonkyness" and won't take a shot of just a black screen sice DVDs play on a different layer then the rest of the stuff you see on your monitor. Hardware acceleration compresses it all into one layer so that it is all visible and the print screen key will actually get what you see on screen.
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 01:09 AM »
That may help me out a bit Ryan.  Trying to put together a customizing thing for FFURG when I have the time and it's not going well.   :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 01:11 AM »
That may help me out a bit Ryan.  Trying to put together a customizing thing for FFURG when I have the time and it's not going well.   :-\

Are you guys putting together a reference section or something?
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 02:20 AM »
I put together one here and there on my own and turn it into the other guys (anyone can if they want) and I was working on one for JK (and would hopefully have one for the other games in the series and some other images from characters from the series out of books and such), but I've been having 0 luck with screencaptures in the JK game's cutscenes.  I'd rather pull from there than in-game images of the characters personally.